• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Bad u-joints will often make themselves known on deceleration. Had that happen a few times.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have seen that as well. Generally, if you feel it in the seats and body it will be drive train or body related. I would look at u-joints and for any split or loose bushings on sway bars and control arms.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'll get right on the torque converter - LOL. I'm pretty confident it isn't body/suspension related because it is wheel speed dependent. I eyeballed stuff yesterday when I was messing around and didn't see any issues with my sway bar bushings, endlinks, etc. Of course, today it didn't do it going to work. I'll check out the u-joints when I get home.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    ABS, final answer for the red corvette die-cast.
    I asked earlier of some way to test what you're saying because it certainly doesn't act like ABS. I've only had the ABS come on a few times when I was braking hard on gravel, etc. It pulses the brakes many times/second. What I'm talking about is much, much slower and definitely related to wheel speed, which to the best of my knowledge, ABS is not.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    I asked earlier of some way to test what you're saying because it certainly doesn't act like ABS. I've only had the ABS come on a few times when I was braking hard on gravel, etc. It pulses the brakes many times/second. What I'm talking about is much, much slower and definitely related to wheel speed, which to the best of my knowledge, ABS is not.
    Anytime the ABS sensor detects a mismatch in speed between any of the 4 tires, it will activate, at any speed. Mine does '11 Expedition. Usually coming to a stop or slow turn, one wheel slips and the ABS kicks in. It's abrupt and recognizable that I think something is broke. Have you pulled any codes?

carlosg0013

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2018
    houston
    Try a break job, it will only cost about 150 dollars if you do it your self. I was getting a lot of wobble when breaking and turned out the front break rotors were warped so replace them and the pads and the problem went away

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Would putting it into neutral while braking stop the thump from the u-joint?
    Just as a test?
    It might or might not. The u-joint will still rotate thank to the diff, but it shouldn't be under any load to speak of.

I'd rather climb under with a light and take a look assuming I wasn't diagnosing a fresh symptom while I was still moving.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I did get under there. Put it in neutral with the parking brake on. I yanked and pulled on the driveshaft and the u joints seemed solid. Of course, the noise hasn't happened again.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    One thing nobody has mentioned yet. Is this a 4X4 with IFS by any chance? If so, check your CV joints. They usually make intermittent noises before they try to take the steering wheel away from you.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom