• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradmartin78

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Fort Worth
    It did very well the first trip out. Had some tight groups. If McGowen won’t replace the barrel I’ll work on the chamber. My buddy is having the same trouble with his 33 Nosler barrel from McGowen. He polished the chamber and it’s a little better, but still has problems ejecting.
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The ring on the primer matches the bolt face. I cleaned the ink off to show it a little better. Otherwise the primer is smooth. I think it’s a rough chamber.

In the first picture it looked like that ring was pressed in, much clearer here. First bolt face I’ve seen with that type of ring ground in to it. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Did you or McGowen cut the chamber? You say you used go/no-go gauges so I assume you installed the barrel - It looks like the roughing reamer was the last tool in that hole, or the finish reamer was worn out- dull.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    The ring on the primer matches the bolt face. I cleaned the ink off to show it a little better. Otherwise the primer is smooth. I think it’s a rough chamber.

Difference of opinion but anytime a primer flattens to the point the rounded edge is no longer there or almost gone and the primer flows out around the firing pin are both signs of overpressure. I was not looking at the ring caused by the bolt face.

Bradmartin78

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Fort Worth
    In the first picture it looked like that ring was pressed in, much clearer here. First bolt face I’ve seen with that type of ring ground in to it. Interesting.

I bought it from a friend who started a build and changed directions. I asked him about it yesterday. He confirmed it was new from Remington. Remington might be the next email going out.

Bradmartin78

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Fort Worth
    Did you or McGowen cut the chamber? You say you used go/no-go gauges so I assume you installed the barrel - It looks like the roughing reamer was the last tool in that hole, or the finish reamer was worn out- dull.
    It’s a prefit. McGowen did the work and will be sending a shipping label to send it back.

Bradmartin78

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Fort Worth
    Difference of opinion but anytime a primer flattens to the point the rounded edge is no longer there or almost gone and the primer flows out around the firing pin are both signs of overpressure. I was not looking at the ring caused by the bolt face.
    The picture isn’t great. There isn’t a crater around the firing pin hole and the edge of the primer is rounded. Not trying to argue, sir

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It’s not a great method anyways. Some primers have very soft cups while others are very hard by comparison. So you can say a load is fine or over pressure by simply swapping primers.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Also, a somewhat tighter primer pocket vs one that is no so tight (looking at you Hornady shit brass) can cause primers to flatten more easily.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    A loose primer pocket can cause flattening... when fired, the primer starts to back out of the pocket, then the case smashes back into it, flattening it around the edges. If the chamber is rough, it could retard the rearward movement of the case long enough to allow the primer to start backing out. This can happen with fairly mild loads, as well.... which makes the shooter think it's high pressure, when in fact, it's the opposite.

Bradmartin78

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Fort Worth
    The barrel came back from McGowen yesterday. They cleaned up the chamber. When the rain stops I’ll make a trip out to the range to see how it goes. E00924BB-53F9-4085-BF97-CC94C76BB401.jpeg 3DF16BCA-CA63-4C87-A3BD-57568C9EEDE4.jpeg FE62A1F3-0F0B-4CE8-829F-9FD0B5CA05EB.png

Bradmartin78

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Fort Worth
    Made it to the range. Loaded up a handful of different combinations of bullets and powder. 100% better. Brass comes out clean and I was able to run the ammo that wouldn’t extract from the trip before. The groups look promising.
    Thanks for all the input. E2CFBC49-33D1-46D1-A344-A8A5C7CAE714.jpeg

Top Bottom