• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    I have a couple questions regarding the different brass stamps and loads for them.

Well a couple days ago I went out to a outside range. To my surprise there was so much brass on the ground I got my bucket and started walking around. Felt like a little kid at a candy store.
    Some people don't understand brass is like GOLD right now.

After the primer were removed and cleaned up.
    I came across a lot of 223, 556 military brass and a lot of 6.5 brass. I notice from the .223 brass I had 3 different stamps on them. I had some LC, Wolf Rem, and USA REM .

Now my question is.

Do I need to create a different load for each brass to see how it runs in my rifle?

Do you guys keep brass separated by brass stamped?

From my understanding every brass is different so I'm wondering for the reloaders how do you guys keep track of stuff like this. Do you guys have them all together for the 223 or in different containers based on brass stamp.

Any feedback would be good.

Thank you.
    Guns International

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    My general response is that for most purposes you can use the same data. If you are are reloading for competition, then it would be taylored to each headstamp but then you likely would not be picking up range brass.

Each company’s brass with have a slightly different case capacity. It can even vary from lot to lot. As long as you are not running near to or at max loads you should be fine.

You could develop loads for each brand and keep them separated. I see that as a lot of extra work for what is likely general range ammo.

Just my thoughts on it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a couple questions regarding the different brass stamps and loads for them.

Well a couple days ago I went out to a outside range. To my surprise there was so much brass on the ground I got my bucket and started walking around. Felt like a little kid at a candy store.
    Some people don't understand brass is like GOLD right now.

After the primer were removed and cleaned up.
    I came across a lot of 223, 556 military brass and a lot of 6.5 brass. I notice from the .223 brass I had 3 different stamps on them. I had some LC, Wolf Rem, and USA REM .

Now my question is.

Do I need to create a different load for each brass to see how it runs in my rifle?

Do you guys keep brass separated by brass stamped?

From my understanding every brass is different so I'm wondering for the reloaders how do you guys keep track of stuff like this. Do you guys have them all together for the 223 or in different containers based on brass stamp.

Any feedback would be good.

Thank you.
    I keep brass for precision/ long range shooting separate. Everything else is mid range loads for plinking ammo all thrown together.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    I separate .mil headstamps from civilian, Mil brass tends to be thicker and has less volume.
    Not in 5.56mm; American military brass is generally at the lower end of the weight spectrum when compared to commercial brass. That was true of both .30-06 and 7.62 NATO brass, but it does NOT hold true for 5.56mm. All bets are off with foreign 5.56mm brass, though.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    For general plinking with medium loads it doesnt matter. If you are going for accuracy you should sort brass by brand and even lot if you can.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Thank you all for the feedback. Since I started reloading a year ago and learning by myself this helps.

The 223 ammo i have is for plinking only. Down the road I plan on building a better AR and maybe try long range shooting with that one. But for now I just my current one for plinking and getting on paper. Seeing how well I do on paper.

After sorting all the ammo I could see how long it takes.

Thank you all for the help.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thank you all for the feedback. Since I started reloading a year ago and learning by myself this helps.

The 223 ammo i have is for plinking only. Down the road I plan on building a better AR and maybe try long range shooting with that one. But for now I just my current one for plinking and getting on paper. Seeing how well I do on paper.

After sorting all the ammo I could see how long it takes.

Thank you all for the help.
    You might be surprised how well your current AR shoots if you do sort cases and work up a good load.

Even if you're just testing plinking rounds pick similar headstamps and try it.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    For hardcore accuracy seekers. People will sort by head stamp, case capacity and/or weight. The only 223 brass you don't want is igman. It has undersized flash holes that are known to break decapping pins. Military brass will usually require the extra step of removing the crimp on the primer pocket. Which sucks but it's a one and done problem.

Ideally you're picking up some annealed brass for a lengthy service life. I've gone down the rabbit hole about case capacity of military vs civilian brass and the differences were negligible. Just make sure you have proper shoulder set back if you get into reloading the 308. I once got a bunch of pre-processed 308 and 80% of it needed proper sizing.

If you want to make consistent ammo for any gun buy yourself a comparator and put it to work. Amazing how well you can dial in a load when you know the actual jump to lands and start tailoring your cols based on ogive and not bullet tips.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Not in 5.56mm; American military brass is generally at the lower end of the weight spectrum when compared to commercial brass. That was true of both .30-06 and 7.62 NATO brass, but it does NOT hold true for 5.56mm. All bets are off with foreign 5.56mm brass, though.
    I didn't know this. I've always been told (by the big boys down at the truck stop) that 5.56 mil spec brass is slightly thicker... guess I should do more "due diligence" on this..... interesting.
    Has anyone done any water volume measuring/comparisons? I might have to do a "bubba" version of that.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    I didn't know this. I've always been told (by the big boys down at the truck stop) that 5.56 mil spec brass is slightly thicker... guess I should do more "due diligence" on this..... interesting.
    Has anyone done any water volume measuring/comparisons? I might have to do a "bubba" version of that.

I'm sure that someone has, but I don't have ready access to any data.

Top Bottom