• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Since I don't reload, I probably wouldn't have any qualms about shooting aluminum cased ammo. That being said, I haven't shot any through any of my weapons yet, mainly because I can find brass cased ammo for the same price, or sometimes, even cheaper. Why shoot Blazers when you can get Fiocchi for the same price or less.
    Does any company make aluminum cased ammo besides CCI?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Late to the game it seems, but I have shot Blazer ammo in 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 38 Special, 9mm. Yes, I'm ok with it.

Only con IMO is that you can't reload them. Oh, and yes you have to clean your gun after shooting that ammo.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am not sure I understand why the material of the case would determine cleaning or not.

Me either, but they seem to shoot dirty. I had to clean after each range trip, versus Winchester rounds, which I had to clean after a couple trips or more.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I am not sure I understand why the material of the case would determine cleaning or not.
    Has to do with the flexibility of the material. Brass is "stretchier", and when fired it expands against the chamber walls and completely seals it off. Steel is not as flexible and doesn't seal the chamber quite as effectively causing crud to blow by the case mouth. Aluminum will stretch a little bit, but it isn't as ductile as brass or steel so it has a tendency to tear. That's why if you have a loose chamber, you'll wind up with split aluminum cases.

Alex23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    NTX
    If you don't reload and the price is right, aluminum and steel are just fine.

Contrary to internet BS rumors on gun sites, steel ammo doesn't destroy your ejector and aluminum is not 'dirty'.

Steel rifle ammo is not just for sloppy commie guns. I've run many, many cases of Wolf and Silver and Gold Bear through my ARs without issue. As have many other people.

The 'lacquer' thing is a fairy tale and I'm pretty sure that the mild steel of the case is a lot softer than the the rest of the upper receiver. It's also pretty accurate - it's not match grade but it's 80% cheaper than match grade ammo.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If you don't reload and the price is right, aluminum and steel are just fine.

Contrary to internet BS rumors on gun sites, steel ammo doesn't destroy your ejector and aluminum is not 'dirty'.

Steel rifle ammo is not just for sloppy commie guns. I've run many, many cases of Wolf and Silver and Gold Bear through my ARs without issue. As have many other people.

The 'lacquer' thing is a fairy tale and I'm pretty sure that the mild steel of the case is a lot softer than the the rest of the upper receiver. It's also pretty accurate - it's not match grade but it's 80% cheaper than match grade ammo.

Absolutely correct! Winner post. Kinda' like unloadin' magazines every other week to keep the springs from getting weak. All internet bullshit!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Pretty much all true... but as stated earlier, nothing but hand loads (brass of course) for my M1A National Match. there's a reason they give you the chamber dimensions/headspacing etc. with the rifle.....My older Gold Cups and my 1974 SP1, I don't shoot steel through, personal choice, wouldn't hurt them....but that's just me....anything else gets steel without a second thought...

You all are right about the internet.....it's refreshing to see folks not drinking the Kool-Aid.....

, almost forgot, I don't shoot aluminum in My Colt SAA's, personal choice not because of anything else......

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The first generation of Speer Blazer aluminum used Berdan primers and were not reloadable. The current crop use standard small pistol primers.

Caveat: This next part is a result of experimentation by a VERY experienced reloader and should not be undertaken by the novice.

I reload the .45 ACP Blazer aluminum cases. They resize easily, standard small pistol primers fit perfectly, they taper crimp fine. They shoot just fine, ONCE. I will not test the limits of the aluminum alloy by repeatedly loading them. I consider the reloads to be "throwaways". I use them when I am shooting in tall grass or other situations where I am likely to lose the cases.

The .45 ACP has relatively low operating pressures so this is the one I chose to experiment with . I would not consider this in the higher pressure 9mm or .40.

Top Bottom