• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    There are two major types of centerfire rifle cartridges available on the market today:

• Those which are loaded with steel, and
    • Those which are loaded with brass
    This seemingly simple variation has caused a never ending stream of argument, discussion, speculation, and questioning from new and seasoned shooters alike. Complicating the conversation are other variables that typically get lumped into the argument without proper segmentation, such as:

• The different coating options available on the steel-cased ammo (lacquer or polymer)
    • The different projectile loadings available (copper jacketed lead, the bi-metal coating that most Russian manufacturers use, etc)
    • The different propellant (gunpowder) burn rates

Our team decided to try something ambitious and daunting: to provide the best resource and data available to answer these questions once and for all through objective experimentation and observation.

We realize this is a lofty and borderline arrogant goal. We’ve done our best. Please keep reading to see if you agree.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
    Texas SOT

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was bitten by the Black Rifle bug pretty badly and have owned a lot of them to see how they shot. I'd try one, get accustomed to it then trade it off. Some of the AR's shot steel cased ammo very well and I had no problems. Some rifles, however gagged on every steel cased round and wouldn't stand for being fed that ammo for any reason Those same rifles loved brass cased ammo like WWB. I had some theories about why that happened but never was able to PROVE why it happened. When you can predict the results of the next change.........you're there.

Let's see if we can duplicate the results.

Flash

Last edited:

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I've seen it before, I think from here. I like how those rifles held up, even though they aren't "tier 1" rifles.

Top Bottom