• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Anybody got some good recipes for pork breakfast sausage. Gonna be grinding some hog meat soon and need some ideas.
    ARJ Defense ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just did a batch today. I put up 8 pounds.

I put up 55 pounds of venison/pork smoked links all day yesterday and had about 6pounds of pork and 2 pounds of venison left so I made breakfast sausage.

Here is the recipe and it's for 8 pounds

8 Teaspoons of Kosher salt
    8 Teaspoons of Sage
    6 Teaspoons of ground black pepper
    2 Teaspoons of Cayenne Pepper
    2 Teaspoons of crushed red pepper.
    4 tablespoons of lite brown sugar

mix all of the ingredients except for the brown sugar with about 2 cups of ice water.
    take the brown sugar in a small cup and mix with a little hot water, just enough to dissolve it into the water.

I like to mix the meat in a cooler by hand. I pour the spice mixture over the meat then the dissolved brown sugar and hand mix it very well and then I ran mine in a stuffer and filled the small plastic sausage bags

Also, before you package it, take a small portion and fry it up and taste it right there, that way you can add more of whatever you want to your taste.

vm

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Sort of off topic ...

But what kind of grinder do you fellers use? what do you like about it? what do you wish it was better at?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Sort of off topic ...

But what kind of grinder do you fellers use? what do you like about it? what do you wish it was better at?
    I have a Waring Pro. It works fine. it has a reverse switch which is nice.. Cleans up easy. I do not stuff sausage with a grinder any more, that takes too long.
    I have a hand crank LEM, should have got one years ago, best thing I ever did.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thanks vmax. I only have a grinder with stuffing attachments right now but only have a hind quarter and shoulder that I will be grinding up so hopefully it won't go too slow.

If I find a place where I can hunt more often I will look in to a dedicated stuffer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Whatever happen to mounting a small motor on a table mount grinder?

Motor, 2x6, grinder and a short fan belt. Pulleys and belt are at TSC. Motors too but they're expensive there. The grinder head is around $40. That's American made. China and Mexico stuff is cheaper.

We used it for deer sausage. 50/50 mix with bacon ends and pieces. Mixed in chunks on the dinner table. Spiced. Ran through the grinder. The patties were but in the bacon ends box. Separated layers of patties with wax paper.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Whatever happen to mounting a small motor on a table mount grinder?

Motor, 2x6, grinder and a short fan belt. Pulleys and belt are at TSC. Motors too but they're expensive there. The grinder head is around $40. That's American made. China and Mexico stuff is cheaper.

We used it for deer sausage. 50/50 mix with bacon ends and pieces. Mixed in chunks on the dinner table. Spiced. Ran through the grinder. The patties were but in the bacon ends box. Separated layers of patties with wax paper.

that's what we used growing up. A old school grinder with a pulley instead of a crank handle. It was mounted to a piece of plywood and that also had an electric motor and a belt. Gosh that thing was dangerous, the grinder had that big open funnel, we had a few close calls over the years I remember.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I had some of mine this morning on with a biscuit. good lawd that was good.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I plan to pick up the ingredients this week and hopefully start grinding when I get off call next week.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Anybody got some good recipes for pork breakfast sausage. Gonna be grinding some hog meat soon and need some ideas.

I would try vmax recipe first but check out AlliedKenco.http://www.alliedkenco.com They sell dry seasons premixed (My favorite was the old fashion#3 )and the packaging supplies. They have a store front in Houston but also internet orders

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Forgot to put red pepper and sage on the grocery list. Rescheduled for tomorrow if all goes well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, gave it my first go yesterday evening.

First thing I wanna mention. My buddy gave me an Eastman Outdoors 500w meet grinder. Now I know why:roflsmile:

That thing is loud as hell and very slow. More that one cube of meet and it would jam up, reverse was all but useless. Drop in a cube of meet and let it run until meat stops coming out, then drop another. 3lbs of meat took a while. Easier on the arm than grinding by hand, but probably slower.

Used Vmaxs' recipe. Broke it down to a 1lb recipe for easy figuring. Meant to cut the cayenne in half since LG isn't big in to hot food. Forgot. Also cut the sage by 1/3 figuring I could work back up easily to taste.

Fried up a text pattie and it came out pretty good. Very lean which I like, but not gonna be any grease to cook the eggs in. LG thought it was a little hot, I thought it was Ok but taking it down a little on the cayenne wouldn't kill it, my 6 year old daughter loves it and asked if we could have it for dinner. She did ask for some milk afterwards though.

Will probably try to grind up the hind quarter Sunday with a couple of adjustment to the recipe. Pretty happy with the way it's working out.

Thanks for the help Vmax, and others who have posted.

Top Bottom