• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Would you care to explain your education and background?
    Sure

I hold a current certification with the NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) as a Nutrition Coach

I have spent the last 7 years studying nutrition science on my own.
    l managed to lose 80 lbs and keep it off
    Went from 40% body fat to 18 5%

Read more studies than I care to remember.
    I've studied Dr Robert Lustigs work regarding the causes or obesity as well as many other nutrition authorities like Mike Matthew's and Dr Eric Berg.

I've done alot of research in the area of preventing and reversing Type 2 diabetes as well. The hormonal responses of different foods and the impact of highly processed and low fiber food on the American diet.

I really like helping people who are interested in changing their health like I did. I counsel alot of people at no charge.

We are given one body only to live our lives in..food and lifestyle can either be Medicine or poison..I want people to be able to know the difference and choose better.

20171119_125748.jpg

20220624_093157.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Sure

I hold a current certification with the NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) as a Nutrition Coach
    If it matters, we had access to elite HPW folks towards the end of my .mil career and all SOCOM and SOCOM-gained units do to this day.

Our nutritionist explained the casein vs whey protein answer essentially the same way you did, with a minor spin on why/how to loading prior to a mission vs loading for training or recovery. FrEx, prep for high energy depletion ingress followed by small high GI carb and whey refuel while staging to hit and egress. Hydration and electrolyte balance were more closely monitored than protein consumption though.

As far as I’m concerned your knowledge/teaching capability is on par with elite level sports nutrition folks.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If it matters, we had access to elite HPW folks towards the end of my .mil career and all SOCOM and SOCOM-gained units do to this day.

Our nutritionist explained the casein vs whey protein answer essentially the same way you did, with a minor spin on why/how to loading prior to a mission vs loading for training or recovery. FrEx, prep for high energy depletion ingress followed by small high GI carb and whey refuel while staging to hit and egress. Hydration and electrolyte balance were more closely monitored than protein consumption though.

As far as I’m concerned your knowledge/teaching capability is on par with elite level sports nutrition folks.
    Damn..I cant say how much I appreciate that. It means alot

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Good quality protein powder or shakes are a great way to supplement
    Is there such a thing as a good-tasting (preferably strawberry flavor) protein shake?

I found one many years ago and it was really helpful to me during my first 200 pounds of weight loss. I remember thinking that it was different not only in taste but bulk. A single-serving pouch contained maybe three or four times the volume and weight of powder compared to everything else I could find. It didn't taste great but it was OK.

Then they changed the formula. Overnight, all the old stuff was gone replaced by the new formula that was smaller lighter, and tasted just as bad as everyone else on the market. I figure their reduced shipping costs really bumped their bottom line, at least for a while; I can't come up with any other reason for a company to destroy their product in that way.

But it's been most of a decade since I had a protein shake so I don't know the current products.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Is there such a thing as a good-tasting (preferably strawberry flavor) protein shake?

I found one many years ago and it was really helpful to me during my first 200 pounds of weight loss. I remember thinking that it was different not only in taste but bulk. A single-serving pouch contained maybe three or four times the volume and weight of powder compared to everything else I could find. It didn't taste great but it was OK.

Then they changed the formula. Overnight, all the old stuff was gone replaced by the new formula that was smaller lighter, and tasted just as bad as everyone else on the market. I figure their reduced shipping costs really bumped their bottom line, at least for a while; I can't come up with any other reason for a company to destroy their product in that way.

But it's been most of a decade since I had a protein shake so I don't know the current products.
    Wow..I understand what you mean.
    Have you found the Fairlife bottles? The chocolate protein shake from Fairlife taste exactly like chocolate milk and has good ingredients
    They have a strawberry..I've not tried it.
    This one below has a great taste to me, & is good quality.
    16657490641575749888360956368111.jpg

Unfortunately taste is so subjective. What I think taste great, you may not care for.

Some brands I had luck with great taste and quality are:

* Redcon 1, they also have animal based protein for people who can't tolerate dairy (whey)
    * Legion
    * Dymatize ISO 100
    *Transparent Labs
    *1st Phorm

They're are many other good companies this is a very short list

However beware the supplement industry isn't very regulated and people get away making lots of claims that just aren't true.
    Buy from people with a good reputation. Read reviews

Last edited:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Very good question, I've always hated vanilla and strawberry. Every one I've tried tasted like vomit.

I used to mix my whey with water..... Now that I'm a little better off in life, maybe a bit more sophisticated I've been using milk, and actually using a blender to add things like ice, spinach, blueberries, or PB2.
    Just the switch to milk has fixed most vanilla. I'll have to buy some strawberry so i can change up my shake routine.

I remember buying some mixed berry flavor because it was half price. Had to choke it down. Couldnt waste it...

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Very good question, I've always hated vanilla and strawberry. Every one I've tried tasted like vomit.

I used to mix my whey with water..... Now that I'm a little better off in life, maybe a bit more sophisticated I've been using milk, and actually using a blender to add things like ice, spinach, blueberries, or PB2.
    Just the switch to milk has fixed most vanilla. I'll have to buy some strawberry so i can change up my shake routine.

I remember buying some mixed berry flavor because it was half price. Had to choke it down. Couldnt waste it...

Tip
    If you don't want the extra carbs and calories from milk..there is a 30 calorie / cup plain almond milk that makes a good base to make shakes and smoothies

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Tip
    If you don't want the extra carbs and calories from milk..there is a 30 calorie / cup plain almond milk that makes a good base to make shakes and smoothies

Benenglish already covered the question I was going to ask about the protein shake. I will ask about the protein powder.

Is there a brand of whey or animal based you recommend? I tried some whey and almond milk mix a few years back & it tore my guts up good. I never thought about it was maybe it was a cheapo brand causing the problem.

Also what brand was the almond milk you mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Benenglish already covered the question I was going to ask about the protein shake. I will ask about the protein powder.

Is there a brand of whey or animal based you recommend? I tried some whey and almond milk mix a few years back & it tore my guts up good. I never thought about it was maybe it was a cheapo brand causing the problem.

Also what brand was the almond milk you mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes sir I listed the protein powders above that I've used and liked
    The almond milk I get is Blue Diamond I think and I also buy the 2 packs of Members Mark at Sam's club
    Pretty simple should only be one or 2 ingredients
    .they come in vanilla or plain
    The lowest calorie option is 30 per cup
    Which is better than 80 / cup with milk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have added fiber to my shakes in the past.

Do you have any thoughts on the use of psyllium powder in shakes? Good idea or not?

Generally, when someone needs more fiber, what sort of issues crop up and how should they be addressed? I tend to think of fiber as something I want to get at breakfast which is why the question sorta fits in this thread. However, All Bran Buds, while a great source of fiber, look and (I suspect) taste like hamster food. I can choke that cereal down but I have to use a bunch of milk to accomplish the task and I really don't need the bunch of sugar that comes with it.

I've reached an age where I need lots and lots of fiber so any random comments you might have on the subject would be welcome.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have added fiber to my shakes in the past.

Do you have any thoughts on the use of psyllium powder in shakes? Good idea or not?

Generally, when someone needs more fiber, what sort of issues crop up and how should they be addressed? I tend to think of fiber as something I want to get at breakfast which is why the question sorta fits in this thread. However, All Bran Buds, while a great source of fiber, look and (I suspect) taste like hamster food. I can choke that cereal down but I have to use a bunch of milk to accomplish the task and I really don't need the bunch of sugar that comes with it.

I've reached an age where I need lots and lots of fiber so any random comments you might have on the subject would be welcome.
    Ben
    What you are talking about is soluable fiber and you need that..it also helps you feel fuller in between meals.
    you also need to be consuming the insoluble fiber in vegetables like broccoli and green beans..they work together to form a barrier in your gut that feeds the good bacteria and shields your liver from some of the sugars you consume.

That is why carbs with alot of insoluble fiber are better for you than processed carbs virtually void of fiber.

This is basically how whole foods are.
    Imagine that..eating real food is better than heavily processed food.

Most fast food is processed carbs..with very little fiber.

That's why I tell folks to eat your carbs with fiber.

Here is a short clip explaining how critical having both in your diet is.

Last edited:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Ben
    What you are talking about is soluable fiber and you need that..it also helps you feel fuller in between meals.
    you also need to be consuming the insoluble fiber in vegetables like broccoli and green beans.

Insoluble fiber doesn't contribute calories in a diet. Soluble fiber does. Correct?

I was recently told eating fiber along with higher protein intake will help your body with the absorption and use of that protein. You know, one gym bro to another..... Any truth to that?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Insoluble fiber doesn't contribute calories in a diet. Soluble fiber does. Correct?

I was recently told eating fiber along with higher protein intake will help your body with the absorption and use of that protein. You know, one gym bro to another..... Any truth to that?

That is right..but the reason soluable does it because when it's broken down in the gut , it produces short chain fatty acids..that can be used as energy..so it's very negligible and doesn't spike insulin.

I cant think of a way that consuming fiber with protein can help MPS -Muscle Protein Synthesis rates directly except for aiding in the more complete breakdown and absorption of the amino acids which the body has to have to build muscle.
    It can't hurt anything for sure but if you are eating whole food vegetables (complex carbohydrates) the balance of fiber with the carbs helps limit glucose spikes and feeds the gut...
    So I tell clients to focus on having fiber with your carbs.

I think it's wise to get in 20-30 grams per day to keep the gut fed as this is a prebiotic and helps feed the gut michrobiome

Last edited:

SoThrowedMex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2022
    Houston, TX
    I used to skip breakfast and do intermittent fasting. I did not like that process. I would be hungry and kill lunch. I also feel better when I give my body some fuel early. So, my new process is 2 hardboiled eggs for breakfast. It's easy and honestly, I easily stay full till lunch for my sandwich.

Not sure if it's a thing or not, but fuel in the morning helps with my anxiety levels.
    Why do people say they skip breakfast? Breakfast is the first thing you eat whether it is at 5am, 11am, 2pm or 6pm, it's what is breaking your fast from the day/night before.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Why do people say they skip breakfast? Breakfast is the first thing you eat whether it is at 5am, 11am, 2pm or 6pm, it's what is breaking your fast from the day/night before.
    Why do people say they are going "up" the road somewhere when it they are going south so really they are going "down " ?

I think in both cases most people know what they mean whether it's the 100% correct terminology or not.

SoThrowedMex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2022
    Houston, TX
    Why do people say they are going "up" the road somewhere when it they are going south so really they are going "down " ?

I think in both cases most people know what they mean whether it's the 100% correct terminology or not.
    Because they lose their sense of direction. I don't say this. I keep it to the direction I am going but I see your point.

Some people say calling in to work, when they're sick and need to be off. Other say calling out to work ha ha still breakfast isn't a time it's the first thing you eat for the day that breaks your fast.
    So, you drive on parkways and park on driveways?
    Naw, it's not opposite day mane. But the english language is funny like that.

New York is old. I hear Greenland is Ice and Iceland is green. Am i doing it right? lol Cheers.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm smart enough to know what a person means when they say the word breakfast and I think "most" of us in this thread are. But there is always "that guy" in every group..

Top Bottom