• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Did find out I can still drink as much coffee as I want to, just skip the sugar and creamer, but I don't use much of that anyways, so I'm good to go on coffee!
    Latest studies show coffee is actually good for you, even with a reasonable amount of sugar ... if you use sugar. The juries' still out on synthetic sweeteners.

Than again, coffee is pretty much where I get my daily requirement of H2O. ;)
    Venture Surplus ad

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm not grossly overweight or fat by any measure, and get pretty much regular exercise working around the house, and don't eat a lot of sugary foods or lots of fast food anymore. The doctor classified me as Pre-diabetic with very high cholesterol, so I need to get it under control before it becomes a serious issue health-wise.
    Varies for everyone, but I have familial hyperlipidemia, so watch triglyceride levels and lipoprotein ratio's particularly closely.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My biggest hurdle is finding foods that will benefit me that I enjoy eating. Dinner for the past week has been heavy on chicken, fish and vegetables. No potatoes or bread this week, and no fried foods. It's hard to give those up! Also cut way down on my salt intake as well.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Well heart disease runs rampant in our family. And I have already had two very minor heart attacks, so my concern is up a bit.
    Yep, gotta determine what works for you.
    And just as importantly, put as much effort as you can into managing your own healthcare.
    Doctors are essential, but many are not all that well versed in human nutrition, including what is a "species appropriate diet".

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yep, gotta determine what works for you.
    And just as importantly, put as much effort as you can into managing your own healthcare.
    Doctors are essential, but many are not all that well versed in human nutrition, including what is a "species appropriate diet".
    Any doctor is just part of the equation. In the end, we are ultimately responsible for our own health.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Eggs play a large part in my choices now days, due to diabetes. Meat and eggs and green vegetables for the most part and no sugar (Use Stevia instead). Best thing I ever did was lose 75 lbs and got back down to my military/HS weight which is now in limits for BMI not being overweight. Three back surgeries due to an accident years ago and my surgeon constantly telling me to lose weight. Triglycerides were high and a warning signal but I had no idea back then what they even were. Now I have schooled myself and got things under control and am in good health still. After multiple exams by my different doctors with all kinds of scans and blood work, I can think about retiring.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Speaking of fried foods. Bush's Chicken has worked for me for the occasional lunch. Peal off all the batter and just eat the meat. Still good and cuts out some of the bad for you stuff. I also avoid carbs like the plague, and alcohol. Never was much of a drinker anyway.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Well done.

That's pretty much what saved me about five years ago. Went from 280 to 198, what I weighed in after boot camp and six months of nothing but double timing in OCS. ;)
    Took 11 months of fasting (limited eating) and went from around 257 down to 185 or 190. Holding at 190 now but want to lose another 10 lbs soon.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I cook a lot of meat entrees all at once on the weekends for my diet. Chicken, Pork loin, Hamburger and some fish cooked on demand. Sliced up with gravy on it to help when frozen. I have flats of green veggies on the shelf in the garage. Grab an entrée and a can of green veggies and nuke for a few minutes and done. Wash two containers and a fork and knife and done. My wife won't eat any of this so I have the fridge in the garage and she gets the one in the kitchen for her stuff. She just had a heart attack at the start of Covid and found a lot of her arteries/veins are clogged 80 to 90%. Got her on heavy blood thinners as there are just to many to deal with. She won't touch my food though and just goes on like nothing happened.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Took 11 months of fasting (limited eating) and went from around 257 down to 185 or 190. Holding at 190 now but want to lose another 10 lbs soon.
    I've edged up a couple of pounds from cheating here lately
    What do I "cheat" with?

Pecans, pistachios and a wee bit of full fat cheese.

Shame on me, but damn if you don't need some sinful variety now and again. LOL

This is not an on topic breakfast, but pretty much a standard supper, just vary the meat and vegetable.

ETA: and always eat until I'm full. No limit on the meat for sure.

Attachments

• CornedBeefCabbage1.jpg
      CornedBeefCabbage1.jpg
      134.6 KB · Views: 48

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Just finished my bowl of overnight oatmeal with dried fruits and yogurt, with a single slice of bacon and a couple of mugs of hot tea.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I can't really eat oatmeal as it really really spikes my blood sugar. Even steel cut. Even when I do have one serving (about 4 spoons full) it has just cinnamon and stevia and a touch of milk. I love milk and used to drink up to a gallon a day of whole milk. Only use a little now when I have oatmeal now and then.

Top Bottom