• ...and so much more!
  • innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    To much flour add more milk. Your biscuits look good, they scratch?
    Yeah, I added more milk. Maybe in reality I didn't add too much flour. It was just thicker initially that I thought it would be. The biscuits are the Pillsbury Grand frozen. They are decent. I didn't want to tackle too much with my first attempt at biscuits and gravy.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yeah, I added more milk. Maybe in reality I didn't add too much flour. It was just thicker initially that I thought it would be. The biscuits are the Pillsbury Grand frozen. They are decent. I didn't want to tackle too much with my first attempt at biscuits and gravy.
    Looked like a good effort for your first time.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I like to cook my gravy at least 30 before serving it. With the new house came an electric stovetop. Electric takes lots of memorizing where about you set it for what. I pretty much have eggs dialed in. I do have one large element that can run away if it turned up to high.

Sausage gravy
    1# roll sausage
    about 1/3 cup flour
    milk as needed
    pepper
    Shortly after the meat hits the pan I start adding flour & working it in. I think it helps if breaking the sausage down to finer pieces.I also want to cook the flour not to get that raw flour taste. If it browns on the bottom of the pan it just needs to be worked free with cooking with the milk.

I like heavy cream in my white russians, coffee & cream soups, and I like half & half in coffee & soups + a few other things. SOS & sausage gravy needs milk or canned milk. I always have some canned milk on hand for just in case.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Wifey made bacon & eggs this morning. She's discovered the best way to cook bacon is on the broiler pan and her bacon cooking has gotten a lot better. Don't tell her I said that :laughing:

Bacon. BAcon! BACON!!!!!

But bacon is more $$/lb than steak! :(

I'm making Potato/leek soup and it calls for bacon bits... fortunately I have some Costco real bacon crumbles in the freezer. My DIL gets them for us.

I din't know you can cook bacon wrong. I like mine crispy, not limp (that's what SHE said). But frying on the stove is such a PITA, so I do it up in the micro. Lots of paper towels to soak up the grease, easy cleanup, no stove or hot splatter. :)

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I do enjoy a bacon grease basted eggs. Brown butter eggs are my preference. I like eggs just about any way except raw. In my old age I don’t mind slightly running whites.

Raw egg, OJ, milk or cream, and a hit of vanilla. Stir up briskly or use blender.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Looked like a good effort for your first time.
    I was happy with it for being the first try. I was a little heavy handed with salt but it wasn't bad.
    I like to cook my gravy at least 30 before serving it. With the new house came an electric stovetop. Electric takes lots of memorizing where about you set it for what. I pretty much have eggs dialed in. I do have one large element that can run away if it turned up to high.

Sausage gravy
    1# roll sausage
    about 1/3 cup flour
    milk as needed
    pepper
    Shortly after the meat hits the pan I start adding flour & working it in. I think it helps if breaking the sausage down to finer pieces.I also want to cook the flour not to get that raw flour taste. If it browns on the bottom of the pan it just needs to be worked free with cooking with the milk.

I like heavy cream in my white russians, coffee & cream soups, and I like half & half in coffee & soups + a few other things. SOS & sausage gravy needs milk or canned milk. I always have some canned milk on hand for just in case.
    Since it was just me I used half a roll and started with sprinkling a table spoon of flour once the sausage was done. I've made a roux before so in my head I was thinking I would see the start of a gravy once I mixed in the flour. When that didn't happen I added more flour. That's when I realized the flour was sticking to the sausage because there wasn't enough liquid. So I started adding milk. I added to it till it didn't have that floury look. It didn't taste floury. I would liked to have gotten it a little browner. But I think that is just the dark roux demon in my head talking to me

ETA. The white Russian reminds my of one of my best friends. He can be a little high maintenance. He liked white russians. Nothing wrong with that. But trying to sneak all that in for an LSU game in the early 90's was not easy. One of my other buddies was going to the concession stand and asked if anyone needed anything. Don't know if you've every been to Tiger stadium but it can be loud. I don't know why but as my friend was standing and yelling "get me some milk!" a hush came over the crowd. Everyone within ear shot looked his way. For the rest of the game anytime someone walked down the steps they would turn around and ask if anyone needed anything. Then you'd hear calls for milk all across the section. Lol

Last edited:

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Dark roux demon...YES.

On gravy, watch the bubbles. When they enlarge the flour is cooked.

Every time I read this thread...time for buttermilk biscuits, eggs over easy, sausage, gravy, and homemade preserves or jelly, again.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Your grandmother knew how to cook!

That she did, and rarely did she crack a recipe book. She made the best homemade biscuits from scratch without using measurements - never turned out hard or doughy.

Made homemade noodles from scratch too when soup season came round

Canned spaghetti sauce she made herself

We kept a well stocked pantry until her heart attack and strokes put her in a chair - then home canned goods really gave way to store bought. My grand dad and I split cooking chores after that.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    That she did, and rarely did she crack a recipe book. She made the best homemade biscuits from scratch without using measurements - never turned out hard or doughy.

Made homemade noodles from scratch too when soup season came round

Canned spaghetti sauce she made herself

We kept a well stocked pantry until her heart attack and strokes put her in a chair - then home canned goods really gave way to store bought. My grand dad and I split cooking chores after that.
    My old buddy Ralph made skillet biscuits. Shifted the flour onto the countertop, no bowl. He would mound up the flour and make the bowl, everything just by knowing how much. Stirred the outside flour in on buttermilk. His biscuits pan was a French porcelain coated iron pan. He would pour in some cooking oil to coat both sides, then bake them off. His biscuits 1/2 to a 1/3 of the size of what most of us think as biscuit size.

I remember him making some red eye gravy a couple of times but never sausage gravy. Wild hog plum preserves, his own grapes gape jelly or some molasses were how he dressed them out. I liked with butter salt pepper & egg yoke.

He always made a couple of trail biscuits. These were made in the can blue berries for muffin mix come in. These went with you out into the field or if you were leaving to go home. Leftover breakfast meat always came with the trail biscuits.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My old buddy Ralph made skillet biscuits. Shifted the flour onto the countertop, no bowl. He would mound up the flour and make the bowl, everything just by knowing how much. Stirred the outside flour in on buttermilk. His biscuits pan was a French porcelain coated iron pan. He would pour in some cooking oil to coat both sides, then bake them off. His biscuits 1/2 to a 1/3 of the size of what most of us think as biscuit size.

I remember him making some red eye gravy a couple of times but never sausage gravy. Wild hog plum preserves, his own grapes gape jelly or some molasses were how he dressed them out. I liked with butter salt pepper & egg yoke.

He always made a couple of trail biscuits. These were made in the can blue berries for muffin mix come in. These went with you out into the field or if you were leaving to go home. Leftover breakfast meat always came with the trail biscuits.
    My stepmom made lots of biscuits on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and there were always some leftover after breakfast. I would always grab a couple of them, load the with sausage, or bacon and some eggs, wrap them in wax paper and carry with me for snack later one when we were out working on the farm.

Her biscuits were the size of large hamburger buns!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My stepmom made lots of biscuits on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and there were always some leftover after breakfast. I would always grab a couple of them, load the with sausage, or bacon and some eggs, wrap them in wax paper and carry with me for snack later one when we were out working on the farm.

Her biscuits were the size of large hamburger buns!
    Biscuits are like women they come in all shapes & sizes, and I never had a bad one thought some are better then others.

Top Bottom