• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    You eat some strange combinations of food pretty regular, what's up with that?
    Food is food.

When I was in Ukraine, breakfast was what ever was left over from dinner and it was always left out, even chicken dishes. Didn't have any food related problems though.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Time to try my buckboard bacon
    5968F0CC-B93C-40D8-B0AA-01310B2C2455.jpeg
    A993708B-0472-4CF0-9880-293742355D56.jpeg

108A67E7-7BB5-4940-839A-09284DFCC229.jpeg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Food is food.

When I was in Ukraine, breakfast was what ever was left over from dinner and it was always left out, even chicken dishes. Didn't have any food related problems though.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    I like some different things, and I like ordainary things. Mushrooms & kraut don't sound like they would pair very well in my guts. Combining mushrooms with krait & bratwurst for any meal will likely get a pass from me.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon, how was the buckboard bacon? I've been considering making some soon if I have enough pink salt left.
    It’s on the salty side, I soaked it to long might be part of the problem. I also cooked it to 165 so is cured like Canadian bacon. Taste Canadian bacon & country ham combined.

At first I was going to do one as regular bacon. Turning it on the smoker with my fingers and tasted the salt.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    You eat some strange combinations of food pretty regular, what's up with that?
    Well, for on thing, I cannot get what foods usually go with one another as far as foods I like go, at least around Texarkana. Normally I would have had bratwurst with sauteed onions, sauerkraut and or rote kraut (red cabbage), dumplings (potato or bread or both), and maybe a pretzel (soft & salted) or some Lithuanian bread. Then there is just throwing together what I do have, that makes for some different combinations. Mostly though I put some odd things together because I get an urge to have this, that and another thing from in among whatever foods are in my larder that fancy at the moment I am looking for something to eat. I suppose eating lots of leftovers, over the years, has something to do with it too. Also, when I cooked a lot, I liked to experiment. Then again, I don't see most of what I eat as odd combos, I guess because I've been preparing my meals and been eating the way I do since I was a young kid (had to put stuff together for my young self when my mom was at work). As what I eat at which time of day - no matter to me as long as I like what I make myself or go out to buy for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's hard to find a good old American breakfast anywhere around here. I finally got a flattop so now I can do omelets hash browns etc. I cooked over 35 yrs. And all the restaurants I worked I loved to do breakfast the best..
    We are going to either move or remodel the house but momma gave in I'm getting a commercial kitchen. Broiler flattop 6eye stove convection oven..
    But the floor is key..
    Concrete with a 3.5in drain on a sloped floor hose and go
    When I did that, I learned that the home versions of commercial stoves are MORE expensive, b/c the lower cooking temperatures used in home cooking require more expensive valves.

I also learned, the very hard way, that “Viking” has no appreciable customer service or owner support. A late Friend even told me this: “I’ve been the authorized Viking dealer in this area for 30 years, but can’t get parts, and they won’t even talk to me.”

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Well, for on thing, I cannot get what foods usually go with one another as far as foods I like go, at least around Texarkana. Normally I would have had bratwurst with sauteed onions, sauerkraut and or rote kraut (red cabbage), dumplings (potato or bread or both), and maybe a pretzel (soft & salted) or some Lithuanian bread. Then there is just throwing together what I do have, that makes for some different combinations. Mostly though I put some odd things together because I get an urge to have this, that and another thing from in among whatever foods are in my larder that fancy at the moment I am looking for something to eat. I suppose eating lots of leftovers, over the years, has something to do with it too. Also, when I cooked a lot, I liked to experiment. Then again, I don't see most of what I eat as odd combos, I guess because I've been preparing my meals and been eating the way I do since I was a young kid (had to put stuff together for my young self when my mom was at work). As what I eat at which time of day - no matter to me as long as I like what I make myself or go out to buy for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
    Funny you mention the pretzels. While I was working the renfest years ago a guy was all excited about the soft pretzel that my boss was the only vender to sell. (Protected food items, no one else can sell) This old guy was from Brooklyn, NY and was a beat cop. He ate them on the beat & since retiring could not find a decent soft pretzel. I gave hime the name of the pretzel company Texas Twist & the wholsalers information. I grew up eat hard pretzels and not a big fan of soft.

When I became an apprentice meat cutter I had t start out in the slicing deli & seafood. We were bringing in Unsinger brats & knockwurst, which I grew up eating. We also had Boars Head brats & knocks. The big difference was Insinger products were bulk in 5 pound boxes& went bad fast compared to Boars Head in cryovac packages.

I to like red cabbage &German Style potato salad. Jars of either are sporadic at best. I'm really jonesing for bagels from the New York Bagel & deli. Houston is famous forit's internation food scene. but always lacked German places. Everyone rants on the German food in New Braunsfel, but I never had it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Funny you mention the pretzels. While I was working the renfest years ago a guy was all excited about the soft pretzel that my boss was the only vender to sell. (Protected food items, no one else can sell) This old guy was from Brooklyn, NY and was a beat cop. He ate them on the beat & since retiring could not find a decent soft pretzel. I gave hime the name of the pretzel company Texas Twist & the wholsalers information. I grew up eat hard pretzels and not a big fan of soft.

When I became an apprentice meat cutter I had t start out in the slicing deli & seafood. We were bringing in Unsinger brats & knockwurst, which I grew up eating. We also had Boars Head brats & knocks. The big difference was Insinger products were bulk in 5 pound boxes& went bad fast compared to Boars Head in cryovac packages.

I to like red cabbage &German Style potato salad. Jars of either are sporadic at best. I'm really jonesing for bagels from the New York Bagel & deli. Houston is famous forit's internation food scene. but always lacked German places. Everyone rants on the German food in New Braunsfel, but I never had it.
    I am going to Hot springs this weekend with my son and his girlfriend. He says there is a pretty good German restaurant there, I am looking forward to it. I would try going to one in New New Braunfels but it would be over a 6 hour drive for me so that is out.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Just got up to let the dog out. When I do I have the backdoor of the house then 10 feet to the screened in porch door. Beside the cold morning air I get hit in the face with the smell of cinnamon. I think the neighbors have one of the grand kids over. I need to see if they want their bacon gift sliced or a piece.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    This morning, sausage, scrambled eggs, buckwheat cakes with sausage gravy. Sausage is from a wild pig my nephew harvested, eggs from another nephew's chickens, sausage gravy is a creation from my lovely wife, buckwheat flour is Cherokee from King Roller Mills in King, NC. A breakfast fit for royalty!

sebg.jpg

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    We had poached eggs for breakfast today. Hadn't had them in a decade or more. Never knew about putting vinegar in the water to help eggs keep their shape but it works. Toasted a couple slices of homemade bread for dipping. Overall, I prefer fried over easy's but poaching is growing on me.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We had poached eggs for breakfast today. Hadn't had them in a decade or more. Never knew about putting vinegar in the water to help eggs keep their shape but it works. Toasted a couple slices of homemade bread for dipping. Overall, I prefer fried over easy's but poaching is growing on me.
    Next you will be eating Eggs Benedict & the other poached egg meals.

Top Bottom