• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I understand support animals for those who may truly need one. But the only thing you have to do to get your dog recognized as a “support animal” is fill out a form on the internet and print it out. And I’m not even sure if you have to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to get a letter from a counselor saying you need a support animal.

I know someone who has one. No training of the animal or a vest of any kind. Just a letter from the counselor got the certification so they can have the pit in an apartment.

I have had two. My daughter now has one, and she is super sweet to us. But has shown intolerance for strangers. She was about a year old when we got her from the pound.

Other one is seen in the pet thread. We picked her up off the side of the road when she was appx 4 weeks (vet thinks). There is a difference between those two dogs. She is generally glad to meet another dog, with rare exceptions. She is terrified of my buddy's shitzu in spite of outweighing her by 65 lbs. My wife babysat several grands until she passed, and the dog was obsessed with kids (still is) and loved to lick their toes. One of my grandsons runs and tackles her, then lays of top of her and tries wrestling moves on her. The dog is wagging her tail the entire time. She is different than most pits I've been around, but that has to do with being socialized with lots of people. I would never let my grands do that with other pits.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    According to the article, there is ZERO evidence that the girl did nothing to provoke it. Just the parents saying she did not. To assume she did not is just as bad as antigun people blaming us for every shooting that occurs.
    I had a very large dog several years ago that was very gentle. Even around kids. But he had been abused and tormented by kids in the past. But he was still fine around them.
    As long as they had nothing in their hands and did not get in front of and over him. Then he would snap. He never bit but he would snap to let them know he did not want them there.
    Bull Terriers, Pit Bulls, were not bred for aggressiveness. They were originally bred to be short, quick, stubborn, quick learning and a desire to please. They needed to be to heard a bull that weighed 2 tons more than them. Unfortunately, those are also traits that are good for fighting dogs and PEOPLE took advantage of that. They were not bred for aggression.
    ALL dog breeds have some that are aggressive. But that holds true with all species including humans.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    According to the article, there is ZERO evidence that the girl did nothing to provoke it. Just the parents saying she did not.
    In another context I'd possibly agree, but we have three parts of this story that cause the argument to immediately fail.
    1. Fake as hell 'Service animal' claim.
    2. Previous conviction and 1.3 MILLION DOLLAR award for the same issue (her dog mauling a person) which she has allegedly not paid a dime on.
    3. Fleeing the scene.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A dogs behavior is driven by its drives and how those drives are enhanced or muted thru breeding. Its then molded by its pack leader and bond as it grows.

It's not all owner and not all dog. Breeds that are more protective with strong drives will always be dangerous as are breeds who tend to be fearful.

They can flip at anytime usually for no discernible reason. Age illness or new circumstances or who knows. If you own one of these breeds, especially, you need to realize this and act accordingly.

They are animals. Even if they were people like, one should remember even people flip at times.

Most owners of these breeds have no business being allowed around them. Thru intent, ignorance or neglect the create extremely dangerous and unpredictable accidents waiting to happen.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    is that a pitbull? If it is then wtf is this thing?

One of these is what attacked that girl and also what I am talking about when we have aggressive strays. Your dog looks way different View attachment 242296 :

Here do some reading many types of dogs tossed in to the PB bag.
    People really need to edumacate themselves about the breed prior to bashing um.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've been bitten more than once. The worst, on the face, was by a <little, long-haired breed whose name I will insert here when it comes back to me>.

The only time I felt really threatened, though, was when a stripper invited me to her apartment. We lived in the same apartment complex and I thought we'd really hit it off by the pool that night.

Uh, no.

Apparently I was not reading the interaction correctly. Not at all. As soon as we got into the apartment (which had zero furniture in the living room) she went into the bedroom, retrieved a pit bull, and sat on the floor holding it by the leash as it strained to get to me, growling low, ears low, tail not moving. Self-preservation kicked in and within a minute or two I switched which head I was thinking with. I told her I should probably go. She looked at the dog, looked at me, got this weird grin on her face and said "OK".

Weird, all around. I had taken her out for a pizza once before and thought we were square with each other. Apparently not. Somehow she really enjoyed using the dog to control the room and threaten/frighten me.

To tie this back to the thread topic - IMO, some people have strange relationships with their dogs and, frankly, I think both they and the dogs would be better off if they simply didn't own one.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been bitten more than once. The worst, on the face, was by a <little, long-haired breed whose name I will insert here when it comes back to me>.

The only time I felt really threatened, though, was when a stripper invited me to her apartment. We lived in the same apartment complex and I thought we'd really hit it off by the pool that night.

Uh, no.

Apparently I was not reading the interaction correctly. Not at all. As soon as we got into the apartment (which had zero furniture in the living room) she went into the bedroom, retrieved a pit bull, and sat on the floor holding it by the lease as it strained to get to me, growling low, ears low, tail not moving. Self-preservation kicked in and within a minute or two I switched which head I was thinking with. I told her I should probably go. She looked at the dog, looked at me, got this weird grin on her face and said "OK".

Weird, all around. I had taken her out for a pizza once before and thought we were square with each other. Apparently not. Somehow she really enjoyed using the dog to control the room and threaten/frighten me.

To tie this back to the thread topic - IMO, some people have strange relationships with their dogs and, frankly, I think both they and the dogs would be better off if they simply didn't own one.
    Sounds like a psycho B. Weird way to dissuade you.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In another context I'd possibly agree, but we have three parts of this story that cause the argument to immediately fail.
    1. Fake as hell 'Service animal' claim.
    2. Previous conviction and 1.3 MILLION DOLLAR award for the same issue (her dog mauling a person) which she has allegedly not paid a dime on.
    3. Fleeing the scene.

This would be my guess as well. The owner of the dog had previous incidents with dogs going out of control. She apparently had a history. Plus, I'd call BS on the "service animal" claim as well.

Are there legitimate reasons for an animal being in a restaurant in the first place? Yes, I think there are, but for limited reasons, and one that comes to mind would be a blind person.

Here's another thing, I love my pit bull "Bandit" but I wouldn't take him out into public, because he's not aggressive, but he's been abused in the past and I don't know what could trigger him to go off on a stranger.

There are many things that can trigger a dog to go aggressive. Stress of a new environment. Strange people. Thinking their owner is in danger. Fear for their own survival, or feeling threatened. Many of the same things that can trigger humans to go aggressive.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm a pit fan / current owner, but you can't overlook the dog mauling a 3 year old. There's just no laying the blame on the child. That is completely asinine logic.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Here do some reading many types of dogs tossed in to the PB bag.
    People really need to edumacate themselves about the breed prior to bashing um.

Looks like it is a pitbull.

Edit I cleaned this up so the mods didnt have to.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm a pit fan / current owner, but you can't overlook the dog mauling a 3 year old. There's just no laying the blame on the child. That is completely asinine logic.

Children can sometimes aggravate a dog. That's a fact. Dogs have different personalities just like people and will respond to being aggravated or provoked differently. But a three year old, I'd say it's very unlikely she was provoking the dog. I seriously doubt the child is to blame in this case.

Given the dog owner's history with dogs, I put the blame squarely in her lap for being responsible for the dog's actions. Sad fact is, the dog is going to pay the ultimate price for it's owner not being a responsible dog owner. That pisses me off.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    F116EA2F-9D1E-463C-8D3E-91A72273B76C.jpeg
    That is Tabu. Half coyote/ half heeler. This is her sister , Geta
    917AAFAE-9F9F-485C-B3C0-578E2703B8AC.jpeg
    these girls were simultaneously the sweetest dogs and the most dangerous animals to ever grace our presence. About 45 lbs( Geta) and 50 lbs ( Tabu)
    4282CD4D-A39D-482D-BB9A-B5E6C9FC55FC.jpeg
    This is Loki and this
    AA64109A-6F7D-48CE-A801-AB2EDC272700.jpeg
    is Hoji. Loki was close to 100 lbs and Hoji about 80. They were the least dangerous dogs we have ever had.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Look who's talking, Hoji!

Yes, I did!

I didn't even think about that when I named him. I almost started to call him "Ranger" after the Lone Ranger!
    I did as well, but “Hoji” is Japanese as opposed to Haji ( Singh) who was Johnny Quest’s best friend.
    In Japanese, Hoji is a period in their history, or a demon in Japanese mythology. ;) I’ll let y’all guess which he was named for

Top Bottom