• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    So a friend of mine gave me a broomhandle mauser to look over. The deal was that I'd buy the first box of ammo but I get to fire the first mag through it

So I'm checking this thing out and it's in great condition, less some bluing loss probably due to age. What I noticed was the serial number on the pistol doesn't match the number on the stock. Is this common? I've seen that with bayonets before where they don't match.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I'm no broomstick expert by any means, but its not uncommon in the least for militsry use firearms to have serial numbers not match because depot/armory type service disassembles a bunch of them all at once, cleaned and maintained, and little effort is used to re-assemble them with matching serial numbers.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'm no broomstick expert by any means, but its not uncommon in the least for militsry use firearms to have serial numbers not match because depot/armory type service disassembles a bunch of them all at once, cleaned and maintained, and little effort is used to re-assemble them with matching serial numbers.
    That's what I figured

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    The stock / holster was an option starting in 1898; there was also a leather holster. Mine came with just the holster.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Caution with ammo, 7.62 Tokerev will chamber fine and fire but chamber pressure is excessive for the C96 mauser lock system. Matching stock numbers are extremely rare with military issue pistols.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Caution with ammo, 7.62 Tokerev will chamber fine and fire but chamber pressure is excessive for the C96 mauser lock system. Matching stock numbers are extremely rare with military issue pistols.
    Yes I'm aware of the difference. We took it out and shot it today. It was awesome.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    To find a C96 with a matching stock/holster is quite rare and expensive, even more so if it happens to be a 9mm (red 9 on the grip). If you find one with the stock and it doesn't match, that is no big deal. original stocks cost almost as much as the gun.
    DSC_0662-A.jpg
    DSC_0655-A.jpg

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Mad John is absolutly correct, a stock matched to the gun is a rare treat indeed. I've collected, modified and repaired these things since the 80s, never get tired of them.
    Hey Leadeye, I have an assortment of broomhandle parts, done collecting if curious , I'll text/email you a pic or three

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Parts are always good.

Back in September at a shoot, Leadeye handed my son a C96 and a handful of ammo. My son brought it back to Leadeye in pieces. The look on his face was priceless. He was trying to figure out if he was gonna have to sell his truck or his house to make it right.
    All parts were recovered, and the gun was reassembled in short order. My son could breathe again. :roflsmile:

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    The C-96 Mauser Pistol is a marvel of workmanship. Manufacturing of the mechanism is beautiful. A real interesting study. Only ONE screw in the entire gun!

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I have had many C-96 Mausers come across my workbench and I loved every one of them regardless of their state.
    I believe the worst one came to me that had been in a fire and left on a floor in water and ashes. It was sad to see one of these that had a bad circumstance. I had to see if I could resurrect it from the dead.
    Here are some before and after pictures of what was brought to me. It took a little time.
    DSC_0092.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Damn, that is nice work!

Just had this one (top) come in on trade, 50xx serial number with a 1917 conversion and matching number stock. Much easier :)

The bottom one is a rebuild with a modern stock.

Attachments

• Broom_pair_2_Aug2020.jpg
      Broom_pair_2_Aug2020.jpg
      93 KB · Views: 60
    Top Bottom