• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Gave Brownells Aluma Hyde paint a try. It’s probably the best sticking paint I have used in a can. You do have to shake it a bit, and turn it upside down to clear from time to time. It goes on as thin film, but has a bit of splatter like texturing. You need to keep a 12-14” distance and make quick passes. It has held up well. Used about half the can on a scope and caps. Did an oven cure on it. Their FDE is close to Magpuls FDE. Could be a great option for 80% builds if a place won’t coat it without a serial number. Due to texture it’s best for outside parts that don’t have friction. I like it better than how smooth Cerakote is. In a few weeks/month I plan to paint a Remington 700 barrel/action with the rest of it, after taping off the inside of the action well.

Anyone else use Aluma Hyde?

Lynx Defense

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I did a shotgun last month.
    20230211_165339.jpg

It picked up some marks riding loose in the back of the truck, but overall a pretty tough paint if you prep it right.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Any issues with how it sprayed? Did you let it cure for two weeks in a non humid area or oven cure it?
    Not like any of the horror stories I read about online before hand. I was able to come back and do more coats without the tip clogging, but I did do the spray upside down to clear it technique. I made a makeshift oven with a sheet of insulation and a radiant heater. Parts temp measured between 180 and 210 degrees alternating between hi and low on the heater. I cooked it for 4 hours and let it sit for a week, so kind of a combo cure.

20230206_170649.jpg

20230208_191941.jpg

20230208_223042.jpg

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Not like any of the horror stories I read about online before hand. I was able to come back and do more coats without the tip clogging, but I did do the spray upside down to clear it technique. I made a makeshift oven with a sheet of insulation and a radiant heater. Parts temp measured between 180 and 210 degrees alternating between hi and low on the heater. I cooked it for 4 hours and let it sit for a week, so kind of a combo cure.

View attachment 379498
    View attachment 379499
    View attachment 379500

When I did a test spray on paper I noticed distance and shaking the can mattered for splatter. Did you used one can on the receiver? Was the texture a little like fine sandpaper? I like the finish more than cerakote for the feel.

I like that oven setup. I let my scope caps sit for two weeks, and so wanted to put them on my scope that was done that day.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    It has the subtle texture. Almost like a hammered finish but more matte. To be honest, I was all over the place as far as speed and distance and even got my finger in the way once and caused a blob and it still turned out OK. I've done a fair bit of spray paint and plasti dip, so experience let's me get away with some short cuts. It is just paint, and it will come off if abused.

Top Bottom