• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The end of the month Ill be building my ar-15. Looking at brownells' videos and tools they are high dollar!! The roll pin holder set is $50.99, why so expense?
    Texas SOT

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive put together a dozen or so ARs from stripped uppers and lowers and you only need a few tools. Ive got one to build this afternoon actually. I can take pics if you want.

Upper block is a must for barrel install, lower block isnt a must but it is a third set of hands that is useful. You can get set set for $35.00 from Model 1.

Get a good set of punches. Ive found that a pair of pliers or vice grips is a better tool for installing roll pics than a punch and hammer. You will scar the lower with a hammer and punch, I did on my first one. The vice grips will push the pin in without scratching anything.

A trick ive also learned is to tap the rear take down pin detent hole for a set screw, 6-32 fits without drilling iirc, so that when you install and remove the stock you dont loose the spring. It also allows you to adjust tension on that back pin a little bit for ease of take down.

The hardest part of the lower is the front take down pin detent. At least once it will go flying and you will have to search for it. Use two people and a small, thin, flat head screwdriver. Insert the spring first, then the detent. Put the screwdriver into the take down pin hole from the left hand sideand press the detent down with the very tip of the screwdriver and slip the takedown pin into the right side of the hole, pushing the screwdriver out the other side. In theory it will hold the detent and youll be good to go.

I think the upper is pretty straight forward.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I think the most important thing about the upper is good moly style grease for the barrel lug. That last torque that you need to ensure that the barrel is in good and your gas holes line up right is a real bitch, the grease helps a lot. I personally think that the front sight tower pin block is a good tool and pretty cheap, but only comes in if you are using a barrel with a front sight tower, if you are using a low profile gas block then don't worry about it.

One thing that I have and love on my tool bench is my Wheeler Gunsmith Screwdriver Set. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny in my opinion. https://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=439523

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    The hardest part of the lower is the front take down pin detent. At least once it will go flying and you will have to search for it. Use two people and a small, thin, flat head screwdriver. Insert the spring first, then the detent. Put the screwdriver into the take down pin hole from the left hand sideand press the detent down with the very tip of the screwdriver and slip the takedown pin into the right side of the hole, pushing the screwdriver out the other side. In theory it will hold the detent and youll be good to go.

Good tips all.

I forget where I read it, but a single edge razor blade works very well to hold the take down pin detent and spring in place while the takedown pin slides right over it. Never had any go a flyin'. :-)

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    A 1/4 inch clevis pin that has been lightly sanded works very well. and is cheap. With the added bonus of not having to have a helper.

There is a full thread about installing the pivot pins an ar15.com here.

joat

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom