• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birddog97

Biggs
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2021
    Fort Worth, TX
    I’m looking for a shorter barrel for an old Browning BPS 20ga. My son is 13 and I’ve been taking him to shoot clays. He’s really enjoying skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays (when we get to use a cart). Previously, we just used rentals from the range to see what he liked. I started looking for a good youth model auto, but had trouble finding anything because of the market conditions. My wife’s dad gave him a Browning 20ga pump. It’s older, but probably doesn’t have more than a box of shells through it. The problem is that it’s full size. I cut down the stock and added a recoil pad to fit his LOP but I need a shorter barrel. It has a 28” fixed choke. All I have seen are 28”, 26”, or 22”. I’d like to find a 24” vent rib with screw in chokes. Anybody got a good source?

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Welcome to the forum, but damn, which you would have surfaced earlier.

Now that you have already cut the stock, just send the barrel off to either Poly-Choke or Hastings, and have it cut and threaded for whatever choke tubes you want to use.

Personally, I like Poly-Chokes on all of my "working" guns, but am in the minority on most forums.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Welcome to the forum. I was looking also for the grandkids. Bought a TriStar Viper Youth model.. It was not expensive, around $500 If I recall. Anyway keep the browning original and he can use it when he grows a bit.

ETA: I missed that you have already cut the stock. So not original now, too bad. Anyway cutting the barrel ain't too bad of a process. Although I would not, I would get it back to the old form somehow and buy a cheaper gun until he grows into it. But then $$ comes into play. Finances can be a tricky thing, good luck down the road.

Birddog97

Biggs
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2021
    Fort Worth, TX

Now that you have already cut the stock, just send the barrel off to either Poly-Choke or Hastings, and have it cut and threaded for whatever choke tubes you want to use.

Personally, I like Poly-Chokes on all of my "working" guns, but am in the minority on most forums.

Thanks, that’s a great idea of having the barrel cut down and threaded for chokes. Probably a little cheaper too. The replacement barrels I found were all $300-$350.

Birddog97

Biggs
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2021
    Fort Worth, TX
    Welcome to the forum. I was looking also for the grandkids. Bought a TriStar Viper Youth model.. It was not expensive, around $500 If I recall. Anyway keep the browning original and he can use it when he grows a bit.

ETA: I missed that you have already cut the stock. So not original now, too bad. Anyway cutting the barrel ain't too bad of a process. Although I would not, I would get it back to the old form somehow and buy a cheaper gun until he grows into it. But then $$ comes into play. Finances can be a tricky thing, good luck down the road.
    I looked at those Tristar. That’s what I was going to buy him until Grandpa brought out the Browning. The original LOP was really long at 15-3/4”. I just cut it down to a 14” (with the Pachmayr pad). 14” is a little long for him, but He should be able to shoot it for a lifetime.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The OP wanting a threaded choke barrel, I would think just keep the 28" (not being so much longer than the 26" available) and have it threaded, and/or buy a 22" which would add more to the shotgun's overall versatility.

Birddog97

Biggs
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2021
    Fort Worth, TX
    The OP wanting a threaded choke barrel, I would think just keep the 28" (not being so much longer than the 26" available) and have it threaded, and/or buy a 22" which would add more to the shotgun's overall versatility.
    My original plan was to get him a budget youth model semi-auto and let him shoot till he was ready to step up to a 12 ga. Then turn his old 20 into a tactical home defense.
    I’m going to look into having it taped for chokes, but I’ll probably just buy a 22” barrel. Here’s pretty small and I doubt he gets much bigger than myself. My wife and I are both 5’8”. Just keep the original barrel in case he wants it down the road.

Reactions: gll

Regionheathen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Lake station
    I’m looking for a shorter barrel for an old Browning BPS 20ga. My son is 13 and I’ve been taking him to shoot clays. He’s really enjoying skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays (when we get to use a cart). Previously, we just used rentals from the range to see what he liked. I started looking for a good youth model auto, but had trouble finding anything because of the market conditions. My wife’s dad gave him a Browning 20ga pump. It’s older, but probably doesn’t have more than a box of shells through it. The problem is that it’s full size. I cut down the stock and added a recoil pad to fit his LOP but I need a shorter barrel. It has a 28” fixed choke. All I have seen are 28”, 26”, or 22”. I’d like to find a 24” vent rib with screw in chokes. Anybody got a good source?
    I have about 100 Remington shells all different shots

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Great job on introducing him to firearms early. Another barrel might be the best option, or possibly some of the moss erg of Turkish based weapon platforms in 20. My daughter shoots a turkey made mossberg branded semi auto extremely well and we have had no issues from it. I can't remember the model number.

Top Bottom