• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I'm in the market to buy a .22 pistol and had settled on a Buck Mark Practical URX. Today I saw a SIG mosquito in a local store and wondered what experiences you fellow .22 shooters have had with the SIG. Are they worth the money? Do they have any inherent problems? The trigger was long and not near as crisp as the Browning.

Browning vs SIG - which one is the better value?
    Lynx Defense

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I am a SIG guy. I currently own a mosquito and enjoy it quite a bit. However, if I were to do it all over again (and I might yet), I would've bought a Ruger or Browning. First thing is the Mosquito is NOT a SIG. It has their name on it, but is made by someone else (I forget who, but I know who it isn't). I made the mistake of buying the name thinking that I couldn't beat the price for such good quality as a SIG. It is a good gun, but not the quality I would've liked to see from something with the SIG name on it. It would be a good purchase, but I think most likely you would be happier with the Buckmark or even a Ruger. The trigger will be better, the accuracy will be better and there are also more customization options available. The only real advantage to the Mosquito is that it is 90% the size of a P226 and utilizes the same controls as most SIGs so if you carried one you could train cheaper while maintaining the same feel of your carry gun. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, the sights suck on the Mosquito.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I don't own one but what jwuaba said is what I've heard as well.

Sig also offers what they call a two step program. That is a P226 and I believe a P229 that comes with at .22 conversion upper, and no center fire upper. Also comes with a coupon to buy the center fire upper at a later date. Idea I guess is newebees could buy this, practice with the .22 then when ready, buy the center fire upper.

I just bought a Buck Mark Camper and I quite pleased with it so far. Easy to shoot and accurate enough for 25 yard fun. It doesn't simulate a combat gun in feel, but you still get trigger control and such practice. I had wanted a Ruger 22/45, but just don't like the new models, and couldn't find a used one locally.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    navyguy, I forgot to mention the 2-steps. They have all three available now, P220, P229, and P226. That is a good way into a SIG. You can end up with a 9mm, .40s&w, .357sig, or .45acp SIG PLUS a .22 slide to fit it (depending on which model you choose) for about the same money as a new SIG.

My earlier post shouldn't be misinterpreted, the Mosquito is a good gun and I like mine, I have just grown out of recommending it to others. I'd rather they buy an established .22lr plinker such as a Ruger or Browning. Much better quality available with those IMO.

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    I bought a Browning Buck Mark 16 yrs ago and it still shoots great and looks brand new. It really holds up well and I can't ever remember it jamming and I've shot some low end crap through it.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Thanks for the honesty guys. I think I will stick with the Buck mark. I had originally considered the Ruger 22/45 but can't find one locally and I don't like to buy stuff I can't put my hands on first. The Buck mark fits my hands and Browning has been making great guns for a long time. It's worth the $20.00 difference in price.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you want a Sig .22 that blows all of them out of the water then invest in a Sig Trailside. They are made by Hammerli, whom makes the most accurate .22 LR pistols on the planet.

The Mosquito is a giant heap of excrement in my opinion. I try not to sell them if I can avoid it. Would much rather sell a Buckmark or preferably, a Ruger MkIII.

If you own a semi-auto I personally would also suggest looking into a .22 LR conversion kit. You'll get more out of your money in the long run because you'll improve your centerfire ability along with using the rimfire kit.

Top Bottom