• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    Anytime I leave a liquid filled compass in a vehicle, it gets a bubble in it. Texas heat I assume. Is their a way to prevent this? Is it normal? or is there a better compass that won't get bubbles, without breaking the bank? I'll admit most of my compasses range in price from 1 to $15. The $1 compasses were never expected to last. But they surprisingly worked better than I thought they would. I don't plan to spend $100 for a compass. So any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc..? Thanks.
    Venture Surplus ad

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have a small Silva compass that has been stored in a drawer. Bought it circa 1990. Sometime in the last 5 years it developed a bubble. I don't think there is really any way to prevent it.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Anytime I leave a liquid filled compass in a vehicle, it gets a bubble in it. Texas heat I assume. Is their a way to prevent this? Is it normal? or is there a better compass that won't get bubbles, without breaking the bank? I'll admit most of my compasses range in price from 1 to $15. The $1 compasses were never expected to last. But they surprisingly worked better than I thought they would. I don't plan to spend $100 for a compass. So any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc..? Thanks.
    The bubble forms because the compass is a less expensive product compared to others. The bubble forms because the liquid fill is not a "low gas" density liquid. Meaning it will expand in the heat pressurizing the unit and causing a leak of fluid. The compass, then, isn't as full when it cools revealing a permanent bubble. Most inexpensive compasses use water or mixture of water and something else.

Only way to prevent it is to spend some $$ on a quality compass or leave it in its temperature range (should say it on package). Some compasses are able to be refilled and have seal replaced, but those are usually quality pieces to begin with.

Sent from some where out there.

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    The bubble forms because the compass is a less expensive product compared to others. The bubble forms because the liquid fill is not a "low gas" density liquid. Meaning it will expand in the heat pressurizing the unit and causing a leak of fluid. The compass, then, isn't as full when it cools revealing a permanent bubble. Most inexpensive compasses use water or mixture of water and something else.

Only way to prevent it is to spend some $$ on a quality compass or leave it in its temperature range (should say it on package). Some compasses are able to be refilled and have seal replaced, but those are usually quality pieces to begin with.

Kinda what I suspected. So what brands or models are some quality compasses and estimated prices?

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    Will the bubble hinder its function ?

The bubble can interfere with movement of the needle pointing north. Tiny bubble not so much. One compass developed a half inch bubble. The bubble kept it from working correctly, unless you tilted compass enough to keep bubble away from needle. Cheapo compass went into trash. Need to replace it, but hate putting an expensive compass in trunk of car in my bag.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Milsurp compasses (lensmatic I think) are usually really good. Under 50 bucks. Bushcraft guys I know use Suunto and Brunton but some of those are $200 units and I have a couple Silva somewhere (I think I spent like 35 or less on them) that have handled high heat. I don't know about Texas dashboard heat, though. I think you might have issues with any liquid filled leaving on the dash and might think about electronic compasses.

The marine grade compasses are good, but usually large and easily $100 and up (ones I've used when I used to sail were close to $500) but are probably some of the best out there.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you can find a genuine GI lensatic compass, probably among the most accurate and most rugged. They are not cheap though, and there are many clone look alikes that are junk. So GI style, no. Genuine military issue, yes.

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    They are never left in direct sunlight or on dash. I do keep a couple in my pack in truck of car and rear seat floorboard of truck. I'll try suunto or maybe silva. See if they survive a Texas summer. Also need to find a quality budget button compass to replace cheapo I kept in pocket till it developed large bubble. Hopefully $15-$30???

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    My Silva compass has a bubble in the fluid. What should I do? We intend that our compasses are free of bubbles; however, if a small bubble forms in the liquid-filled capsule, it has no influence on the accuracy of the compass. Its appearance and disappearance are due to changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure. If a bubble larger than 1/4" in diameter appears, it is probably the result of a leaking capsule, usually caused by some form of shock damage, and the capsule will have to be replaced. In that case, just call our customer satisfaction department for a return authorization number and shipping address. From the U.S.A, call 1-800-572-8822 between 8 am-6 pm, eastern time. From Canada, call 1-800-263-6390.

http://www.silvacompass.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom