• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EmptyWallet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    I'm looking to pick up another .22 pistol and I'm leaning towards a Buckmark or Ruger MKIII.

The Ruger is familiar to me, however, the Buckmark isn't.

I've read a lot of things about how much easier it is to strip a Buckmark VS the MK (supposed to be a PITA) and ergonomics being better.

Any thoughts?
    Guns International

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    I have a buckmark, had it since 1986, love the gun. it is so much easier to strip and clean. will shoot anything i feed it.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I had to purchase them both and see what I liked side by side. I used an older buckmark and MKII so not the newest models.

The Ruger MKII and MKIII are a tank of a design intended to be handed down through generations and generations. Get a stainless one and go I'd recommend going after a MKII used but check that it's safe to dry fire

If you want a threaded barrel or a shorter barrel though and the one you have didn't come with one it's costly. The barrel is custom fit to the receiver and it's gunsmith work.

Once you know how to strip and clean one and have done it a few times it's not that hard but I'd say it's one of the more challenging guns to field strip and not for the impatient.

The Buck Mark for me feels and shoots better. It'll last a long time but just doesn't have the simplicity and elegance of an MKII or MKIII mechanically and is durable, but not bomb proof. Barrels are easier to change out without a gunsmith. The options to get the trigger work done nicely are fewer but are available.

That said I went with the Buckmark as my 22lr and haven't regretted much. I'll buy my kids a Ruger though as they get older so I can be remembered for a long time after i pass.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I had a Ruger and thought it was great. I never had an issue with field strip disassembly or reassembly once I learned how to engage the strut which does take a bit of dexterity and sometimes several tries. I put that down as a non issue when considering a Buckmark vs Ruger. With the Buckmark you need to be very careful if removing the grips, as they hold many little pieces together which can go flying and make you assume the Gunsmith position (on all 4's looking for little parts on the floor)

I sold my Ruger just because I wasn't shooting it much and wanted to buy something else. After I sold it I missed not having a .22 pistol, so I bought a Buckmark Camper model, and I'm very happy with it.

Which every you decide on, I'm sure you will be happy with it. I've had my eye on a Ruger 22/45 Lite. I think that sort barrel and light weight would make a great walk-around plinker.

EmptyWallet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    So what models of the Buckmark should I be looking at? I'm thinking stainless? That's the finish...however..there seem to be a lot of models to choose from.

The Camper appears to be a "Standard"...but with a plastic rear site?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Have shot both, was impressed with the accuracy of the BuckMark out of the box. Gave my youngest daughter a used BuckMark Challenge SE. Still quite frail from chemo, the magazine is easy for her to load, and she finds it so easy to operate that I could go broke finding/buying enough .22lr to keep her BuckMark fed when on the range. This is her second time shooting it, after taking a beginner handgun class the week before. She went through 100 rounds before I got set up on my lane.

If you do get the BuckMark, watch that plastic slide buffer when taking it down, or you will be assuming the gunsmith's position.

BMChallenger.jpg IMG_1831.JPG

Attachments

• AO.jpg
      AO.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 321
    • AnnieOakley.jpg
      AnnieOakley.jpg
      5.3 KB · Views: 316
    Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    So what models of the Buckmark should I be looking at? I'm thinking stainless? That's the finish...however..there seem to be a lot of models to choose from.

The Camper appears to be a "Standard"...but with a plastic rear site?

What are you using this for? Plinking? Target shooting? Training substitute for a larger gun? Ever going to consider a silencer?

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Heck, I'd forgotten I had one of these. The pro target w/ 5.5" bull barrel. Ain't never been fired. but after handling it, it's way too small for my paws. :facepalm:

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    I had a newer Buckmark and didn't care for it. Shot alright but didn't like certain things about it. Grip was a little small, plastic pieces started getting flimsy (I remember the Slide Release breaking off), had issues with the sight base screw backing out without locktite. Went to a Ruger 22/45 liked it more than the Camper, but never quite appealed to me. The flipping of the gun to reassemble was not that big of an issue. I eventually ended my 22LR pistol quest with a pair of S&W Model 41's 5.5" and a 7" barrel. Only thing I don't like about them was the price. :p

Top Bottom