• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tascofeldman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    texarkana,texas
    Given the choice @ equal price point, which would be the better choice and why. I currently have my eye on a buckmark camper and a MKI. Will use in rimfire comps @ local club & for fun. The comps @ the club are iron sight or optics divisions in steel plate. The 22/45 is not on the list because I'm not fond of the grip angle.
    Guns International

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Buckmark then Or 22-45 which you said you dont like
    I would get the ruger only if you plan to carry a Luger.

bespain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    FTW
    For what is it worth, I shoot a Buckmark with the target grip and bull barrel, suppressed. I have always been drawn to the Buckmark and didn't even consider the Ruger, which would have been a Mark II. I suggest that you handle both and which ever fits/feels better get it. I have read that the Ruger can be a pain to clean/reasemble...I wouldn't know. My Browning shoots very well with a red dot sight. I don't think that you can go wrong with either... I'll send you a PM with a link on it...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have owned both and have nothing bad to say about the buckmark. I owned a Buckmark camper 5"(IIRC) w/flatsided barrel and std sights. I've also owned a MKI w/similar barrel length. However, I prefer the ruger mkIII. It has proper mag release placement(IMO) and spectacular reliability/accuracy.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    Of the two mentioned, I currently have a Buckmark. It shoots very well, and contrary to what I have heard, it is not picky on ammo. I don't like the allen screws you have to remove to break it down. I prefer the breakdown of the Ruger. Yeah, you have to hold your tongue just right to get it back together sometimes, but you don't have to worry about screws backing out. A drop of blue Locktite thread locker will help with this. To me, the trigger is better on the Browning, and accuracy is about equal. I do prefer the 22/45 grip angle to the Luger feel of the original.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Frankly, of the two, there isn't a bad choice. I was set to buy the ruger, but the browning just felt a lot better.

Bought it, and have put only about 3k rounds through it. She doesn't like winchester, but she'll eat federal and remington bulk all day. Wife loves it. I love it. Get a .22 magazine loader, they are great too. Now I just need a couple more magazines.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    If you actually compared the two, from a Ransom Rest, the Ruger will win an accuracy contest....every time!

If you shoot a 1911, don't rule out the 22/45 as it will give you good practice with a grip angle that mimics the 1911.

Brad

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Having had both a MKI and Buckmark Camper, I think either will fill your needs. My Buckmark was a bit finicky about which ammo it would cycle reliably for the first 500 rounds or so, but seems to have settled in.

The Ruger which I bought in 1979, ate everything from day one, and I could even shoot CB's in it manually cycling the slide. Of course that doesn't speak to the current models. It was easy to shoot and more accurate than I could hold.

You might want to take a look at the offerings from Tactical Solutions.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Buckmark fan here.. I was going to sell mine, then I decided I am going to keep it and make a visit to tactical solutions...

ken hebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Port Arthur
    Have two Buckmarks and a Mk III. The Browning is the one I take with me to steel matches. alum frame and alum TacSol barrel with a Cmore and some skateboard tape... watch out.

zoomanderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Houston
    My experience is that this debate/choice is to go with your gut feeling. I tried both the Buckmark and the Ruger. I felt nothing with the Buckmark; the Ruger on the other hand gave me one of those feelings that said "this is the one". I always listen to that feeling and it hasn't steered me wrong yet. Go with your gut. All guns can be made better if it's not up to your liking.

zoomanderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Houston
    Just doing what I do to every forum I'm new on: go through all the old threads I'm interested in and give my two cents. It's still good advice, dammit!

Top Bottom