• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Ok, so I have to take a trip to a location that is very unfriendly to self-defense... trip is work-related and I feel I should go.

Looking for suggestions for a knife that would both be useful, but also not tragic if confiscated. I'd rather not get a $100 knife.

The Esee 3 looks interesting, but does anyone have a good suggestion? Apparently it has to stay concealed, too... even a clip showing will be a no-no. Thinking it will probably be in a boot or sock, or IWB.
    ARJ Defense ad

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I have several esse knives. I like them. Good value. You could get a kbar tdi or something of that style.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I like the Blackie Collins Neck knives for this application. Cheap and good utility. Dont worry about losing them. Sev er ral blade designs. You're gonna have to search Ebay or esty r amazon for these.

Cold steel and smith n wesson also have various designs. Smith n wesson boot knivescome to mind.

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Since you must conceal, consider a folding knife instead of a fixed blade - folding knives enables twice the knife size to be concealed.

Boot knives and neck knives can be too difficult and slow to produce when needed.

Obviously, if you're traveling by air, pack your knife in your checked bag instead of carry-on - it sucks when the security checkpoint finds a knife.

Otherwise, for a fixed blade, consider one that has a para cord-wrapped handle - if SHTF the para cord would be handy to have, such as attachment for converting the knife to a spear.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Since you must conceal, consider a folding knife instead of a fixed blade - folding knives enables twice the knife size to be concealed.

Boot knives and neck knives can be too difficult and slow to produce when needed.

Obviously, if you're traveling by air, pack your knife in your checked bag instead of carry-on - it sucks when the security checkpoint finds a knife.

Otherwise, for a fixed blade, consider one that has a para cord-wrapped handle - if SHTF the para cord would be handy to have, such as attachment for converting the knife to a spear.
    Well, for instance, this place I'm supposed to go for work says:
    Some knives are not illegal, but become illegal based upon how they are used or possessed. Possession of a dagger, dirk, stiletto, machete, dangerous knife, or razor by anyone with the intent, which may be inferred by possession, to use it unlawfully against another is not allowed.
    Honestly, that's just plain offensive. I'm probably just bringing my multi-tool which I used daily with my cameras and such, but I don't really want that stolen from me by the police, either.
    A gravity knife is any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force, and then the blade is locked in place by a button, spring, lever or other device.

Although restrictions have been relaxed, you can still face arrest for possessing a gravity knife depending on the circumstances. The gravity knife could be illegal based upon how it is used or possessed.
    Seems sooo ridiculous.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Honestly, that's just plain offensive. I'm probably just bringing my multi-tool which I used daily with my cameras and such, but I don't really want that stolen from me by the police, either.

Seems sooo ridiculous.
    One company I worked for fixed blades and folders without a blade lock were classified as weapons and prohibitedfrom being carried, but lock blades were classified as tools so rhey were allowed.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Seems sooo ridiculous.

Are you going to Oregon? Their knife laws are kind of retarded. Washington state is worse because of the patchwork of "is it legal" or not. City of Vancouver - anything over 3" blade is no-no for carry. Leave that city and you can go IIRC upto 5 or 6 with no issues.

Oregon allows the possession of any bladed weapon, but had restrictions on what you could legally carry and how. Stupidly - you can open carry a katana or bastard sword and you're good to go, but carrying a "gravity knife" or true automatic opener if you weren't a special class (LE) was a no-no. You could carry spring-assisted openers, so long as it required manual effort to get going.

For a defensive knife, I tote this lil guy around daily:

GhxRZen.jpg

CRKT Mini Bowie - you can get 'em at Wal Mart or Academy for about $25 - it came with an OK-sheath but not a great one. I made the pictured sheath. I carry it front & center, with the handle tucked in right behind my belt buckle.

fIzQsAY.jpg

The sheath it comes with, IIRC came with a neck leash if you like that style of carry.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Might I suggest a metal/aluminumininum bodied pen, or three, as well. Caught all kinds of chit from TSA for a gun shaped key fob, but not a single word about my pens. That was Manchester in N.H. Same at Boston Logan. A few other issues at Logan but, it doesn't involve edged, or defensive tools

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Might I suggest a metal/aluminumininum bodied pen, or three, as well. Caught all kinds of chit from TSA for a gun shaped key fob, but not a single word about my pens. That was Manchester in N.H. Same at Boston Logan. A few other issues at Logan but, it doesn't involve edged, or defensive tools
    Several companies make tactical pens made ftom aluminum.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I don't have a creativity problem, belt buckles, steel toed boots, pens, mechanical pencils, etc... but I'd like to find the best option I can that's legal.

Top Bottom