• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So from the ordinances you posted, it sounds like "If you carry a knife, we'll decide what your intent was and you'll take the fall if we want you to, no matter what the truth is". So here's the question - are you going solo on this trip, or is someone who knows you going as well?

I ask because I use a cane (bum knee), but the cane I use has a solid brass horse harness hame as the end you hold, and that thing will crush a skull should I ever need it to. One of these would allow you to avoid the danger of being at the whim of the local PD whether you're in violation of the law or not, and give you a good self-defense tool that'll put distance between you and an attacker.

And if you're traveling solo, it'll avoid someone asking "Since when do you use a cane?"

Amazon product ASIN B00A4UZWT0

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Well, for instance, this place I'm supposed to go for work says:

Honestly, that's just plain offensive. I'm probably just bringing my multi-tool which I used daily with my cameras and such, but I don't really want that stolen from me by the police, either.

Seems sooo ridiculous.

Per the language of the policy, the operative language is dangerous knife, or razor by anyone with the intent, ..., to use it unlawfully against another is not allowed.

Self defense is or is not your original intent but unless statutorily it is illegal, you’re good.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Per the language of the policy, the operative language is dangerous knife, or razor by anyone with the intent, ..., to use it unlawfully against another is not allowed.

Self defense is or is not your original intent but unless statutorily it is illegal, you’re good.

Yeah, but let's look at that language. "Dangerous knife". I've never seen a knife that didn't have some capacity to be dangerous if misused. And I've had a few that were, in fact, dangerous to use. Gotta watch out for the cheap ones.

"By anyone with the intent"...which means "intent" will be assigned to you by the DA's office should some sort of incident occur.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Yeah, but let's look at that language. "Dangerous knife". I've never seen a knife that didn't have some capacity to be dangerous if misused. And I've had a few that were, in fact, dangerous to use. Gotta watch out for the cheap ones.

"By anyone with the intent"...which means "intent" will be assigned to you by the DA's office should some sort of incident occur.

The policy is not inclusive of a decision arrived at through due process but defines the criteria by which said objects are determined the be in violation.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Well, for instance, this place I'm supposed to go for work says:

Honestly, that's just plain offensive. I'm probably just bringing my multi-tool which I used daily with my cameras and such, but I don't really want that stolen from me by the police, either.

Seems sooo ridiculous.
    Your quotes were from the NYPD FAQ on knives in NYC. You might also want to purchase some pepper spray once you get there.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Kershaw makes one similar to this one. Both are 3-4” blades. I have this old Timer. Great knife.

30BE100E-3A57-4ED8-A55C-251BD0431535.png

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Your 'criteria' for the fixed blade knife sees vague. But, I have never had a problem with a Mora knife failing any task I needed, and they come in various sizes, and are inexpensive and prevalent enough to be less provocative than most.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Your 'criteria' for the fixed blade knife sees vague. But, I have never had a problem with a Mora knife failing any task I needed, and they come in various sizes, and are inexpensive and prevalent enough to be less provocative than most.
    I've got a 4" Mora, have looked at finding a 3.5" one, but I was trying to see if I could find something that I would want even more, and that would pass the smell test if something goes wrong.

My current thought is to just get a second Leatherman since I wouldn't want to lose the one I've carried for 20 years, since I can legitimately say with a clean conscience that as a photographer it is a daily use tool. If I can justify a fixed blade that will conceal well, I may do that as well.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have several esse knives. I like them. Good value. You could get a kbar tdi or something of that style.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    As I have said here before, I used to Rep for Ka-Bar, so I may be a bit bias. The TDI is very good option for the OP, and offers several options in its use as well.

I have and would carry it in either front pocket and "thumb" off the sheath as drawing. One of the keys to using a TDI is that however it ends up in either hand, if you are holding it by the handle, just fight; whatever that hand hits, is going to bleed.

Then there is always cane or umbrella swords, tactical pens, Zytel knives, etc. Have you seen the Ka-Bar Spork? Another good "hide in plain sight" option.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    You want cheap?

Ganzo G806-BK Fixed Blade Knife 8CR14 Stainless Steel Blade Ergonomic Anti-Slip Handle Camping Hunting Fishing Outdoor EDC Knife with Scabbard (Black) $14.95

Well, my trip is officially cancelled and I get to work in-state instead. Kinda bummed to miss out on some time with friends, but NYC isn't a place I want to give my money, either.

The good news is, I did order one of these. Here's a pic next to my Mora.

Knives - Copy.jpg

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Well, my trip is officially cancelled and I get to work in-state instead. Kinda bummed to miss out on some time with friends, but NYC isn't a place I want to give my money, either.

The good news is, I did order one of these. Here's a pic next to my Mora.

View attachment 348221
    Cheap knife...

Seems to be a copy of the Benchmade 200 Puuko, a $150 knife. Differences are the lesser steel, three-quarter vs. full tang, and a thinner spine, but it does have a nicer sheath, lol! Reversibility is nice.

I kinda like it! At worst, it's a good steak knife or kitchen utility knife and it is wicked sharp out of the box.

Screenshot_20221007-215615_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Benchmade 200 Puuko

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Cheap knife...

Seems to be a copy of the Benchmade 200 Puuko, a $150 knife. Differences are the lesser steel, three-quarter vs. full tang, and a thinner spine, but it does have a nicer sheath, lol! Reversibility is nice.

I kinda like it! At worst, it's a good steak knife or kitchen utility knife and it is wicked sharp out of the box.

View attachment 348259
    Benchmade 200 Puuko
    Yeah, it's definitely thinner material than the Mora, but hey, it was cheap, if it gets stolen by some authorities, and it did come in under 4 inches, unlike the Mora.

Reactions: gll
    Top Bottom