• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Anyone have good recommendations for a scope that would sit nicely on a Ruger Gunsite Scout? Looking for the forward mounted scope (long eye relief). I am by no means a serious competitive shooter, so I ruled out the need for the $300+ scopes. But I don't want to get a crappy lemon, either. Anyone have thoughts for the $100-$150 range? It needs to handle a .308 kick.

Thanks,

J
    DK Firearms

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I would recommend the Weaver 4x28 scout scope at $180.
    Anything cheaper and you are looking at ncstar/etc. Or low end pistol scopes. I wouldn't put either on the ruger scout.
    Cool rifle, I've been keeping my eye out for one.

Sent from my AN/PRC-77 using Tapatalk.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    $300+ dollar glass isn't just for "serious competitive shooters." Good glass is good glass, and worth it in the long run.

You could do what I did and waste money on cheap, broken scopes that make good paperweights sitting around your house... or just jump straight into quality glass. Every time I see that Tasco or Millett sitting around my house, I want to kick myself in the ass...

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Sage, that's what I am scared of. I don't want to buy something crappy just because it's affordable. I'd rather save up for a couple months and get what's going to last. However if there's a decent option that's reasonably priced then what I was saying was that I didn't need the extra bells and whistles. Utilitarian is what I am looking for.

MikePotts, that scope looks interesting, and lots of good reviews. I may just take a chance on that one and risk it. Ultimately I want a Leupold FXii, but it's out of my range. However, I find out this week what my yearly bonus looks like, I might be able to afford it. If not, that Leatherwood is looking mighty tempting. Either way, I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback!

J

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Sage, that's what I am scared of. I don't want to buy something crappy just because it's affordable. I'd rather save up for a couple months and get what's going to last. However if there's a decent option that's reasonably priced then what I was saying was that I didn't need the extra bells and whistles. Utilitarian is what I am looking for.

MikePotts, that scope looks interesting, and lots of good reviews. I may just take a chance on that one and risk it. Ultimately I want a Leupold FXii, but it's out of my range. However, I find out this week what my yearly bonus looks like, I might be able to afford it. If not, that Leatherwood is looking mighty tempting. Either way, I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback!

J

That's my suggestion. Save up longer, buy something better. It'll last longer, the clarity and quality will be way higher, and you'll be much happier.

One of the things I've noticed about quality optics is that I can see more clearly (in terms of everything being brighter, not magnification) when I look through the glass than when I look around it. They're usually a lot more tolerant of where exactly you put your eye behind the glass compared to cheaper optics, too.

The Millett I have that's sitting on the desk in front of me, broken (ocular is loose and therefore zero wanders), had distortion near the edges, wasn't very clear in light transmission and when I turned it up to 4X, I had to have my eye placed really precisely behind the optic. The Trijicon Accupoint I replaced it with is clearer, no distortion, and I've got a lot more wiggle room at 4X. And that's on top of me being pretty sure I can beat the snot out of it without having it fail. Did it cost 3x more (with a LaRue mount vs the cheaper SWFA mount) than the Millett? Yep. Is it 3x better? Definitely. And that's not even factoring in the dual illumination on the Trijicon.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A friend of mine pointed out his rule of thumb for buying scopes - to use a rifle's accuracy to full potential, you should buy optics that are worth as much as the rifle you're putting them on.

...at least as much.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Pretty much agreeing with Sage on all counts.

Wait and save. It is cheaper in the long run.

If I could have every dollar back for every cheap scope I bought and trashed I could buy the scope of my dreams.

Atleast come close to what the cost of the rifle was. The rifle is a good investment. The glass should be also.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I could have every dollar back for every cheap scope I bought and trashed I could buy the scope of my dreams.
    I feel the same thing is true of red dots, too. And I like forward-mounted red dots on rifles. Just a thought for the OP.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Thanks again guys. I'll hold off on any decision right now and see what comes of my bonus. On that note, then, straying away from my original post does anyone have any recommendations for a nice scout scope then? Something with the long eye relief? :) Thanks again, guys. You rawk!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Leupold makes a good scout scope. Bushnell or Burris (maybe both but I can't remember exactly) make some also that are decent. If you stick to the same companies that make good rifle scopes you should be ok.

One thing to check is the eye relief that you need. I bought a BSA pistol scope (cheapie) years ago and the eye relief was too short. I had to bend my elbows to see through it properly and that sucked. I swapped it out for a Leupold and that worked perfectly.

Higher end scopes are a little more forgiving on eye relief also.

And yes, to be honest about it, I am a Leupold fanboi.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    How much are the Leupold FX-II's now? I remember when I got mine it was only $189 or something like that.

Gah, prices have really gone up. But the FX-II Scout is a nice one with a generous eye relief sweet spot. I can move mine forward or back 2-3 inches and still see the full view. Just wish it had more magnification, but that's cause my eyes suck and not really a problem with the scope itself.

Or you could just use a red dot like Ben suggested.

You can mount them any distance from the eye, are parallax-free, and the 2-2.5x magnification on most scout scopes doesn't help much anyway, at least doesn't for me. Just another option if you can find one in your price range.

Last edited:

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Yeah I've found the FX-II for as low as $279 I think from an outlet type store (Maybe they were refurbished?). I'd much rather just pay the $300 for a brand new one. They definitely have gone up in price from that $189. But that's the one I am looking to get. Certainly sounds like a nice scope. I've thought about red-dot but really prefer a scope, even if just a low magnification for a bolt rifle. I have an EoTech but it's already being used and would prefer not to change that.

If anyone has an extra FX-II they are not needing, let me know, we can work out a deal :)

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Yeah I've found the FX-II for as low as $279 I think from an outlet type store (Maybe they were refurbished?). I'd much rather just pay the $300 for a brand new one. They definitely have gone up in price from that $189. But that's the one I am looking to get. Certainly sounds like a nice scope. I've thought about red-dot but really prefer a scope, even if just a low magnification for a bolt rifle. I have an EoTech but it's already being used and would prefer not to change that.

If anyone has an extra FX-II they are not needing, let me know, we can work out a deal :)

Sounds like your mind is already made up then. Just save up for the Leupold Scout.

Because settling for something else that's 'good enough' never seems to cut it when you really want something. I know this from experience. :facepalm:

Edit: I think I paid $249 for mine, went back and looked at my old checkbook. Dunno where the number $189 came from. If I really did pay $189 for the scope, then I got royally assraped on the rings... cause the total payment for both was $389. *DOH*

Don't forget you'll need rings too... the FX-II didn't come with any.

Last edited:

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I believe new Gunsite Scouts come with receiver mounted scope rings.

Sent from my AN/PRC-77 using Tapatalk.

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here's mine, with the XS rail and Leatherwood 2-7x, QD rings and a Claymore brake...just for fun:)

P1010445_zps29e6f361.gif

P1010446_zpsedf14a09.gif
    MP

Last edited:
    Top Bottom