• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    So this may or may not be appropriate for this area but considering i was asked to shoot this thing I figured it was gun related.....can anyone tell me what this bug is? We are fairly new to Texas and we're still fairly green in the bug identifying world!

My first thought was a tick but im not positive! We have a couple pets so I wanted to know what I'm dealing with before someone burns the house down!

Thank ya kindly!
    Knot

View attachment 27222 View attachment 27223

sent from wait....where am I!?
    Hurley's Gold

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    That is good news! Just wanted to be sure it wasn't some Texas super tick hybrid or something!

Thanx guys!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    It is a baby roach, and is an indication of an infestation. Since exterminators use civilian equivalents of nerve gasses, I'd stay away from them, especially if you have kids and/or pets.

Skunks forage primarily on insects (roaches are their favorites). Just leave some doors open and invite a native pest exterminator into your home!

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    It is a baby roach, and is an indication of an infestation. Since exterminators use civilian equivalents of nerve gasses, I'd stay away from them, especially if you have kids and/or pets.

Skunks forage primarily on insects (roaches are their favorites). Just leave some doors open and invite a native pest exterminator into your home!

Squash that one, save your ammo for the 2 & 3" long dive bombing wood roaches. ;)

Flame thrower is fueled up and ready to blaze....

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    One roach (or any other insect) hardly means an infestation. If you live in Texas, you WILL see roaches.

Exaggerate much?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Definitely a baby roach. Just squash it and go about your business. You'll see more - they can get through the smallest cracks you can imagine. They do get exciting when you try to get a glass of water in the wee hours and they fly on your face.

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    12090_tn.jpg it's a roach, just contract with an exterminator they usually come 3-4 times a year.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Those things can get in anywhere. It's best not to give them anything to eat or drink. Keep the kitchen clean and don't let newspapers & magazines stack up because they make dandy hiding places.

Flash

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    If you live in Texas, you WILL see roaches.

Greattt.... And here I thought I escaped those wretched things. I don't think they had roaches down in Laredo, we never saw them at least. We were 3rd floor in a brand new place though. Anywhere I lived in Florida and Georgia though it was pretty much a fact of life no matter how much you cleaned or how many bug foggers you lit off.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never thought of it before, but I haven't seen one roach of any kind in the house I love in now and take no special action to keep them away.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I'll get them every now and then, but with a good treatment of pesticide, I normally only see them belly up, and only the wood roaches. The ones you gotta watch out for are the German roaches. THOSE are infestation central.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It is a baby roach, and is an indication of an infestation.

Exaggerate much?

If I may be so presumptuous as to speak for shortround, I think he has a point.

Glockster, you're absolutely right. One roach is not an infestation.

However, the rule I've always worked by is that if I see a big roach in the house I don't worry. It obviously grew up outside and somehow got in. I'll kill it (or it'll already be dead) and then forget about it.

But if I see itty-bitty roaches, that may mean they're breeding inside the house. That's several steps below "infestation" but it does indicate that some sort of treatment may be in order.

I don't mind the occasional visitor. I hate when they take up residence. And the easiest indicator that they've taken up residence is if you start seeing their children.

Sound reasonable?

Top Bottom