• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Thats the dream...unfortunately they're next to impossible to find. I heard rumors of them putting them into production in the next 2 or 3 years.

I think it was like 1000 total of those made. The rest were military contracts supposedly. Idk last guys i seen had normal 250s except one operator (socom) was on a 50... This was on my last tdy to ft huachuca. Thought it was pretty funny.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It'd be a KLR 650 with panniers for me. With all the vehicles that might be clogging roadways I want something more mobile and all terrain. Add to that incredible fuel economy and ease of repairs and it wins out in my book.

Economy is good, but fuel capacity is low. Range will still be pretty limited unless you plan to siphon for abandoned vehicles. That's ALOT tougher these days by design.

Unless you don't plan to take much with you and carry extra fuel on the bike.

HighplainsMudder

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Lubbock
    Shes old and looks it...just like me...but she has a new engine with only 8k on it and new suspension and will go more places then I have the balls to take it any more like I did when I was younger and an idiot.:stir: 100_1851.jpg

HighplainsMudder

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Lubbock
    Well shes not a beautiful as she was 29 yrs ago when I got her. But when I rebuilt her I totally desmoged her, and the only thing still electronic on her is the dizzy and I have among the spare parts I carry in her is a old rebuilt points dizzy I can put on her in under 30 min
    I think she's beautiful. To pretty to bug out in

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Look for Federal auctions around San Antonio..iirc, you have to tow/haul them away because they are not registered to be on the road. Saw some decent ones in the 2-4K range, last time I was looking at them.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    Never understood the hype for these deuce and a halfs. Sure, you can get into them for dirt cheap, but that's before the money dumped into them to get them running well, let alone reliable. I would just get a commercial light duty 4x4 and build a box for it. Heck, you could pick up an F650 or Freightliner SportChassis and drop a armored cab on it for a lot less money and a lot more cool factor than a deuce, IMO.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Nothing beats a bobbed deuce in the looks department. Its a lot better than a full sized deuce and if you get lucky you can buy a newer style deuce thats been maintained, unlike a lot of the older styles that never got the upgrade and just sat dying in the motor pool.

Wryknow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    I spent several years running Army maintenance units and the old 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks are real off road monsters. We used to try and get them stuck to practice recovery drills and very rarely managed to get them stuck well enough that they couldn't self-recover. (Especially if they had a winch.) They do require a lot of maintenance hours, but they're not very complicated mechanically so I think it's well suited to DIY mechanics. There's a certain beauty to ugly old trucks that you can fix without a computer. I don't own one myself but I understand why people do.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Nothing beats a bobbed deuce in the looks department. Its a lot better than a full sized deuce and if you get lucky you can buy a newer style deuce thats been maintained, unlike a lot of the older styles that never got the upgrade and just sat dying in the motor pool.

Yeah I'm half way tempted to get one just for fun. But my neighbors would probably riot at that point.

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    Could you take a 2.5 or 5 ton chassis, and repower it with a super-reliable engine, (7.8 New Holland comes to mind) and solve a lot of the maintenance and repair issues, or is the chassis itself problematic too?

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    They need to be completely rebuilt, all the way down to the axle seals. Not worth it, IMO, especially if you want to repower it. May as well start with a newer chassis that already comes with the powertrain you want. A retired box truck (like a Uhaul) with a Chevy gasser big block + 5spd Allison would be a good candidate. 4x4 conversion would be pretty straightforward. If you want a diesel you can pick up a Cummins-powered light duty truck for a bit more coin.

If you're not a master fabricator, I would not bother with a deuce.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Shes old and looks it...just like me...but she has a new engine with only 8k on it and new suspension and will go more places then I have the balls to take it any more like I did when I was younger and an idiot.:stir: View attachment 26119

Nice 60-series there. For a bug out vehicle, I'm going with this truck:

Left-hand drive, former Danish Search & Rescue Service vehicle brought into the US a couple years ago. She's a 3.4 liter turbodiesel-powered Toyota tank that gets a good 20mpg. Nothing electronic on her, as she's a 1987, so a one-wire-run mechanically-injected old-school diesel engine.

Last edited:

HighplainsMudder

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Lubbock
    That is one sweet rig you have there. Thats the only thing I'm not happy about the 60, gas instead of diesel. If that engine is the one I've read about it is just about bullet proof as you can get, just can't break it. And you can make your own fuel. You need to visit I8mud.com A Toyota forum, you would get a lots of Ahhhhs on that one.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    1st gen dodge....
    I'm not a dodge fan at all. But the 1st gens are full mechanical (Cummins, not the POS gasser)
    You don't even need a battery if you have a manual tranny.....
    Just push it down a hill and pop the clutch.

Way cheaper than deuces (my deuces are stinky anyways) and less noticeable

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    That is one sweet rig you have there. Thats the only thing I'm not happy about the 60, gas instead of diesel. If that engine is the one I've read about it is just about bullet proof as you can get, just can't break it. And you can make your own fuel. You need to visit I8mud.com A Toyota forum, you would get a lots of Ahhhhs on that one.

I'm dieseldog on ih8mud.com ;)

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    1st gen dodge....
    I'm not a dodge fan at all. But the 1st gens are full mechanical (Cummins, not the POS gasser)
    You don't even need a battery if you have a manual tranny.....
    Just push it down a hill and pop the clutch.

Way cheaper than deuces (my deuces are stinky anyways) and less noticeable
    I've got a first gen Dodge Cummins that I call my "Fleet Oiler". It's got a 55gallon main fuel tank and a 105gallon auxiliary tank in the bed. If it was possible, I'd have the LandCruiser and the Dodge both bug out together--one driven by me and the other by my wife.

Top Bottom