• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reaper277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    I'd love a unimog to play around with for S&G's but my choice would be a Jeep CJ8 with a 350 Chevy in it.
    Venture Surplus ad

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    A bobbed Duece is cool, but not practical if you ask me. Still, I've thought about getting one as I could easily park it amongst the hundreds of M35s parked on the range at Camp Bullis. Who'd notice one more?

I do like the Unimogs as well but they still stand out, so my recommendation would be a Jeep Wrangler. I prefer the older TJs, but even the newer JKs with four doors are more suitable than the above vehicles. Stock ones are more capable than people give them credit, but it doesn't take much effort to modify one that is even more able to go places that many vehicles cannot.

Plus, you could easily get use out of a Jeep until such time as needed. You can't say the same for a 2½ ton Army truck!

I have a 4 door JK dark green and black. Works for me. Already modded will go almost anywhere.

sent from the Gulf of Mexico

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I packed too much ammo.

hvHtzuf.jpg

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Just bought a 92 Dodge dually flatbed. Working on seeing how hard it would be to convert to 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    For the money and effort to convert it to 4x4, it'd be easier to sell that one (or keep it for spare parts) and buy a 4x4 truck...
    Trust me, I went through the same thing and told myself "no, I WILL convert it despite what they say".
    Here I sit 4years later with a 2wd truck still. Lol For me, there are a lot of higher priorities.. and guns (not a priority, a necessity)

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I have a feeling I'll just keep it too lol, probably beyond my abilities to convert though I have a 85 chevy 4x4 that the 12v might fit nicely in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I've got a truck lightly pre prepared for a bug out scenario. I can park it next to my front door and load everything in less than 10 minutes. 4 door gas dodge 4x4. Not too small not too big. Room to stay inside. Stocked with survival tools already. I just need to keep more water and mres inside right now. I keep my ammo ready to go in bags and ammo boxes. Guns are loaded with an empty chamber. The only problem I think I'll have with my bug out truck is getting my wife to leave her makeup and hair stuff at home so we can get out fast enough. I might get killed by the masses but my wife will die looking ready for a photoshoot.

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'm sure its been beaten to death already but having worked with them I know how high maintenance these damn things are. You'd be surprised how easy it is to break an axle or drive shaft. And even the tires and hubs take more than one person to replace and repair. However I see them as good ranch trucks...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom