• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    So, all those of you bugging out, how do you propose to handle the snipers on every overpass that want to kill you and steal your shit?

No overpasses to my 2ndery and 3rd locations. Bugging in is where it's at, but if you don't have other options, then you're destined to get caught with your pants down. My locations aren't too far and humping it out may be the best option at that point.
    Lynx Defense

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Been working on my BOV since we left Colorado. 98' Jeep XJ. Long arm suspension. 35's. Figure if I cant drive over it, I can drive around it. Has an aux fuel cell in the rear that holds an additional 15gallons. On-board air compressor. The color is not ideal, but if the SHTF, it'll be rattle canned another color.

20140719_164636_resized_zps397abd89.jpg
    20140719_165827_resized_zpscea1d285.jpg

Nice jeep, I'm sure I'll spot you around.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If I was serious about a bug out vehicle, I'd choose a mechanically fueled diesel pickup with manual transmission. EMP proof, and you can "re-fuel" at any restaurant. As it stands I have my Tundra and the wife has her Jeep, so as long as there's no EMP we have plenty of bug out vehicle already. If there is an EMP I can convert the Ural back to points and use it.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    If I was serious about a bug out vehicle, I'd choose a mechanically fueled diesel pickup with manual transmission. EMP proof, and you can "re-fuel" at any restaurant. As it stands I have my Tundra and the wife has her Jeep, so as long as there's no EMP we have plenty of bug out vehicle already. If there is an EMP I can convert the Ural back to points and use it.
    EMP is probably the least of your worries. most modern vehicles will basically just need to be restarted IF they were running at the time of pulse impact. Just having a moving vehicle will draw unwanted attention. AND if you've remove that nice wimpy quiet factory exhaust, well.....

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Why not? Everyone is heading to the country! Im in between rural and urban...best or worst of both?

Would have a legit fire team in my hood though. Those hillbillies with big trucks are good for something after all!

My thinking exactly. Movement requires exposing yourself. Think it out people, the first wave of buggers out, refugees, and people simply trying to get home to their families will completely clog the highways. Think of I-45 just before Katrina hit on steroids. That was just part of one city on the move with all lanes open northbound, you aren't going to have that luxury in a SHTF situation because some people will want to go to the city that some are leaving and unless your BOV is amphibious you're eventually going to have to get back on the highway to cross waterways.

After a few days people will simply abandon their vehicles when they run out of fuel or movement is impossible....now they're desperate because they've eaten all their Doritos and Ding-Dongs, drunk all their sodas and the kids are screaming because they're hungry and thirsty. They see the people in the car next to them has food and water....BLAM! BLAM! Thank you Sam!

So you wait until the inevitable blood bath is over before you bug out. Problem is, it's now been a week or two since the event so anyone driving on down the road with food and fuel is obviously a Prepper. Preppers are good eatin'! BANG! BANG! I'll take that thang!

A lot of people have a foolish, romantic notion that they're the next Jeremiah Johnson and will survive with their wiles, stealth and fieldcraft. LAWL!

By bugging in you at least have half a chance of surviving a SHTF scenario.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Anyone had any experience with a deuce and a half? Where can you get one? What is the best model engine type? What to look for or be aware of?

I'd get myself an A3 for a couple of reasons: they have automatic transmissions which is handy in case you become a casualty and your wife/daughter/son has to take over driving. The A3's use the Caterpillar 3116 motor which is the Chevrolet 350 of the diesel world. You can find parts for them everywhere and despite the old complaint about the French blocks being soft, any 3116 with more than 200 hours on it has passed the failure time of those blocks. Cat 3116s have been used in trucks, construction equipment, front end loaders and yachts for decades.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    My thinking exactly. Movement requires exposing yourself. Think it out people, the first wave of buggers out, refugees, and people simply trying to get home to their families will completely clog the highways. Think of I-45 just before Katrina hit on steroids. That was just part of one city on the move with all lanes open northbound, you aren't going to have that luxury in a SHTF situation because some people will want to go to the city that some are leaving and unless your BOV is amphibious you're eventually going to have to get back on the highway to cross waterways.

After a few days people will simply abandon their vehicles when they run out of fuel or movement is impossible....now they're desperate because they've eaten all their Doritos and Ding-Dongs, drunk all their sodas and the kids are screaming because they're hungry and thirsty. They see the people in the car next to them has food and water....BLAM! BLAM! Thank you Sam!

So you wait until the inevitable blood bath is over before you bug out. Problem is, it's now been a week or two since the event so anyone driving on down the road with food and fuel is obviously a Prepper. Preppers are good eatin'! BANG! BANG! I'll take that thang!

A lot of people have a foolish, romantic notion that they're the next Jeremiah Johnson and will survive with their wiles, stealth and fieldcraft. LAWL!

By bugging in you at least have half a chance of surviving a SHTF scenario.

I really like like how you laid that out Sapper. Definitely food for thought and I agree with your stance on bugging in, but the biggest problem I see with it is if it's just you and your family i.e. No helpful neighbors. You would have to be on constant watch (some families may not have that ability). That's tough, no? I know you don't have that situation personally, but what are your (or anyone else's) thoughts on that scenario

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Alarm Dogs can to a certain extent, make up for watch takers. They don't have to big, just noisy. Because at night the other guy can't tell, unless you have yappy furballs. ( chihuahuas wiener dogs)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My beef with bugging in in a metro area is that you are hunkering down in places that I believe are already (relatively) dangerous.

I'm not talking about a fairly well kept suburb, I mean actual south Dallas type area. These places will quickly go to hell and personally, I would try to be outside of them before shit gets bad.

I'm not arguing against BCs point, but I was speaking to a slightly different situation.

Luckily, I'm already in the place I would go if I were to bug out. I left REALLY early, lol.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Departure time would also play a major role. At some point, you don't want to hit the streets anymore. But in that situation you probably need to have enough food and water to sustain you until you can eventually get out of the hornets nest.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Here's a test for all you buggers out, it's one I and my wife did and which convinced us to bug-in.

Wait for a scorching hot day, get half a gallon of water and go for a nice leisurely walk along a trail somewhere. Turn back when half the water is gone and estimate how far you were able to travel on a half a gallon of water. Now consider in a SHTF situation you have a 75lb. load on your back, probably a bulleproof vest, a helmet, and a rifle. You're on the move during daylight because a homosexual rape gang (or whatever would motivate your ass) is hot on your heels....and it's August. The average out-of-shape urbanite can't carry enough water to go more than a few miles...maybe 10-12 if they're fit with that load.

What's that you say? You're going to drive to your cache-in-the-country? Too bad they shot your radiator and tires full of holes at the last roadblock Grasshopper!

So if you can't hump a ruck at double-time when it's 105 out, then you better carry lots of Culo-Mujado amigo.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here's a test for all you buggers out, it's one I and my wife did and which convinced us to bug-in.

Wait for a scorching hot day, get half a gallon of water and go for a nice leisurely walk along a trail somewhere. Turn back when half the water is gone and estimate how far you were able to travel on a half a gallon of water. Now consider in a SHTF situation you have a 75lb. load on your back, probably a bulleproof vest, a helmet, and a rifle. You're on the move during daylight because a homosexual rape gang (or whatever would motivate your ass) is hot on your heels....and it's August. The average out-of-shape urbanite can't carry enough water to go more than a few miles...maybe 10-12 if they're fit with that load.

What's that you say? You're going to drive to your cache-in-the-country? Too bad they shot your radiator and tires full of holes at the last roadblock Grasshopper!

So if you can't hump a ruck at double-time when it's 105 out, then you better carry lots of Culo-Mujado amigo.
    The most ive ever hiked in a day was 17 miles. I was a bit younger and...lighter. I was carrying around 60 pounds up and down ridges and through ravines. It was a humbling experience. I also hiked for 8 days in the Weminuche Wilderness in the Rockies. Did not do big mileage at all going up those mountains but what a humbling experience...yet again.

I definitely agree more "preppers" should really get out there and do what they plan on doing. I learned some through the military but mostly through hiking.

I know what I need and dont need to be out there for as long as my health holds up.

Thats the X factor that hardly anyone accounts for. Major illness. Major injury. Major dental issue.

But hey, buy 59 guns. Thats the ticket!

Good boots, gloves, eyepro...things like that are undervalued. Bugging out for most...in reality would be a total nightmare. Agree on this Texas heat zapping a person as well. Really couldnt carry a meaningful amount of water so would need to have known sources and a way to treat if necessary. Also... I found out the hard way that the blue line indicating a creek on a map does not guarantee said creek will have water in it!

Sure if the roads are good and you get the jump on the masses, great.

Travelling by vehicle on road a few days after SHTF...less than ideal as vehicles are bullet magnets.

On foot? Last ditch effort.

Good conversation though.

BHO gon' save us all if we will give him more power!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you waited till roving gangs started setting up homosexual rape roadblocks, you waited too long.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom