Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Damn straight, lol.

Seriously, when you start seeing things like we recently saw up north, would probably be a good time to get your bags packed if they aren't already.

I don't see SHTF happening like someone flipped a switch. I don't think one day everyone will be happy and the next they will be gunning down anyone trying to leave the city.

Signs will be there for those who are paying attention. When to go will be a decision made by those watching what's happening around them. Some may leave early and end up leaving for nothing, or they may leave early and miss an LA riots type fiasco. And some may wait to long and be better off staying put.

I have an intense aversion to high population areas. I want to bug out when things are "normal".

A lot if the argument over these things stems from the different imagines scenarios in each persons mind. What seems like a great plan, and may just be, might sound ridiculous to the next person due to the differences in the imagined scenario. Especially when that scenario is as open as SHTF. Just the terrain around the area can completely change the situations and course of action.

Another variable can be as simple as weather. In Sappers example you are taking off on foot in August with a 75lb ruck. Some may have their necessities down to 35lbs and might be in visioning a bug out in the spring or fall, and may even have people they plan to meet at points along the way for water and food who will then join them. Or it may be someone like me who would have a tough time going on foot with 3 and 7 year old children.

It's almost impossible to debate what would be the best course of action for another person. IMO, it would be best to get out of a high population area if possible, but that doesn't mean it will be the best course of action when that time arrives.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Here's a test for all you buggers out, it's one I and my wife did and which convinced us to bug-in.

Wait for a scorching hot day, get half a gallon of water and go for a nice leisurely walk along a trail somewhere. Turn back when half the water is gone and estimate how far you were able to travel on a half a gallon of water. Now consider in a SHTF situation you have a 75lb. load on your back, probably a bulleproof vest, a helmet, and a rifle. You're on the move during daylight because a homosexual rape gang (or whatever would motivate your ass) is hot on your heels....and it's August. The average out-of-shape urbanite can't carry enough water to go more than a few miles...maybe 10-12 if they're fit with that load.

What's that you say? You're going to drive to your cache-in-the-country? Too bad they shot your radiator and tires full of holes at the last roadblock Grasshopper!

So if you can't hump a ruck at double-time when it's 105 out, then you better carry lots of Culo-Mujado amigo.

Wear a hat.

No seriously, it will probably double your range. And I hate wearing hats.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Better to hunker down with your preps, than to hit the roads crowded with refugees.

I would rather die defending my homestead than being shot and killed in a road side ambush.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Better to hunker down with your preps, than to hit the roads crowded with refugees.

I would rather die defending my homestead than being shot and killed in a road side ambush.
    Again I think some of us have different ideas about bugging out
    Bugging out to just run on the road with no place to go is not smart

When most peppers talk about bugging out
    we have a prepared and stocked bug out location with serveral preplanned routes to get there
    Now some people live at the place they will stay at when SHTF so they will stay put

Also some people's SHTF plan is only what they have seen in movies and talked about on internet forums but have taken no real actions to implement a real survival strategy

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I'm with Younggun. I bugged out 15 years ago. I live across the street from "the woods". Lots of food choices. In 10 minutes, i'm gone. The second one to come looking should learn from the first.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Sushi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2014
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I would think that unless you have a fully secluded and sustainable retreat where you can grow your own food, process waste, and purify your water source - any bugout plan would have a shelf life. And if that's the case, going on foot or using a vehicle is inevitable to gather supplies.

As far as the water situation to get to point A to B to C; I'd hope that you guys are packing a tree tap for water. There are enough Bigtooth Maple and River Birch trees around here that you could tap it while you're sleeping and wake up to a replenished bottle. When we'd trek 7-9 days through Colorado's back country, we'd use the tree taps if we were beneath the timberline. Nature provides.

TreeTap_zps28072971.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would think that unless you have a fully secluded and sustainable retreat where you can grow your own food, process waste, and purify your water source - any bugout plan would have a shelf life. And if that's the case, going on foot or using a vehicle is inevitable to gather supplies.

As far as the water situation to get to point A to B to C; I'd hope that you guys are packing a tree tap for water. There are enough Bigtooth Maple and River Birch trees around here that you could tap it while you're sleeping and wake up to a replenished bottle. When we'd trek 7-9 days through Colorado's back country, we'd use the tree taps if we were beneath the timberline. Nature provides.

TreeTap_zps28072971.jpg

Where is "here"? I sure ain't got no maples, lol.

And I ain't sayin where my water will come from neither.

Top Bottom