• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    My BO vehicle
    My old beater dually with the 36 foot stock trailer with the horses and stuff

drive like hell till out of fuel/can't get fuel

then saddle up and ride like hell

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    95' F-350 CC long bed. Prepping supplies, the usual: Guns & ammo, water purifier (very important), food, fire starters, first aid / trauma bag, tools, good boots, working on a generator.

Craig

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I've got a Suzuki Samurai that I like to tell people--and it's true--can go where no Jeep can follow. I've got several different spots marked out to BO to, and if things got really, really rough I'd stop, don my ghillie suit, and head up into some very specific remote mountains with good water, good game, and scores of miles from the nearest public roads or towns.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I've got a Suzuki Samurai that I like to tell people--and it's true--can go where no Jeep can follow. I've got several different spots marked out to BO to, and if things got really, really rough I'd stop, don my ghillie suit, and head up into some very specific remote mountains with good water, good game, and scores of miles from the nearest public roads or towns.

Contrary to popular belief there is alot of good hide out are in cali. I lived in bakersfield and drove my 3 jeeps all over cali

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Contrary to popular belief there is alot of good hide out are in cali. I lived in bakersfield and drove my 3 jeeps all over cali

California and Nevada for sure. Lots of game if you know where to go. Any places in particular in California you liked? One of my favorite places to four-wheel, shoot, and poke around is the Old Woman Mountains in the Mojave east of 29 Palms.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't have a BOV yet, though I think it will be my next auto purchase (probably quite awhile from now). Anyone have any opinions on what one of the most cost effective BOV's would be? I want something old, NOT fuel injected, and CHEAP. I've been thinking of an old CJ, old Bronco, or old beater Chevy truck or something. Basically something cheap, durable, reliable, easy to find parts, can take a serious beating, and preferably not underpowered. I need a total Mad Max mobile. ;)

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    i have 2 c.a.t.d.'s (combat all terrain donkey's) 1 to ride and 1 to haul my junk around, all else fails they are like M.R.E.'s on hooves.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Jeep, that all i got to say:

P1240046.jpg

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just curious what everyone's opinion is. I'm kinda starting to study up right now and get an idea on a good truck to buy in the next year or 2 to make a BOV out of. Never been a truck guy, and I'm just now starting to learn. From what I've seen, I'm really liking the old Chevy K5 Blazers. They seem inexpensive, rock solid, have common drive train components so it will be easy to get parts for, etc etc.

In addition, anyone have an opinion on what would be better or more desirable? Diesel or gas? The old K5 Blazers were also made as the military CUCV's with a diesel engine option, though the diesels seem to be severely underpowered. Seems to me that gasoline would be better in that regard since you can always mod a 350ci and get decent enough power out of them. The diesel version has like ~130hp or something ridiculous, so it would need all the help it can get just to move out of it's own way. ;)

I would like something like an old CJ5, or certain other older trucks, though I see from looking at current values that a lot of that stuff tends to go for well over $5k in halfway decent shape. I wouldn't want to spend more than $2-5k on just the vehicle itself (I'd spend more to modify one, just talking vehicle price), and it seems it's not too hard to find a halfway decent K5 Blazer in that price range. Never thought I'd own a truck, though it's weird because I can actually feel myself really wanting one now. Who would have known that trucks are useful and utilitarian, amazing! ;) lol j/k

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Just curious what everyone's opinion is. I'm kinda starting to study up right now and get an idea on a good truck to buy in the next year or 2 to make a BOV out of. Never been a truck guy, and I'm just now starting to learn. From what I've seen, I'm really liking the old Chevy K5 Blazers. They seem inexpensive, rock solid, have common drive train components so it will be easy to get parts for, etc etc.

In addition, anyone have an opinion on what would be better or more desirable? Diesel or gas? The old K5 Blazers were also made as the military CUCV's with a diesel engine option, though the diesels seem to be severely underpowered. Seems to me that gasoline would be better in that regard since you can always mod a 350ci and get decent enough power out of them. The diesel version has like ~130hp or something ridiculous, so it would need all the help it can get just to move out of it's own way. ;)

I would like something like an old CJ5, or certain other older trucks, though I see from looking at current values that a lot of that stuff tends to go for well over $5k in halfway decent shape. I wouldn't want to spend more than $2-5k on just the vehicle itself (I'd spend more to modify one, just talking vehicle price), and it seems it's not too hard to find a halfway decent K5 Blazer in that price range. Never thought I'd own a truck, though it's weird because I can actually feel myself really wanting one now. Who would have known that trucks are useful and utilitarian, amazing! ;) lol j/k

go gas because you will find it at every station keep in mind not every station sells diesel. when it comes between a cj5 and a k5 its a toss up they both have their strong points, if it was me i would go with a k5 or a 4x4 suburban depending on terrain and destination. the k5/suburban has more cargo capacity and payload than a cj5, plus gm parts are abundant you could hit any auto parts place and practically build a k5/suburban. only downside is older gm products are gas hogs so carry lots of spare jerry cans.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    go gas because you will find it at every station keep in mind not every station sells diesel. when it comes between a cj5 and a k5 its a toss up they both have their strong points, if it was me i would go with a k5 or a 4x4 suburban depending on terrain and destination. the k5/suburban has more cargo capacity and payload than a cj5, plus gm parts are abundant you could hit any auto parts place and practically build a k5/suburban. only downside is older gm products are gas hogs so carry lots of spare jerry cans.

Only thing is you have to decide if the BOV is purely for short term natural disasters and such, or if you're talking Mad Max-type worst case scenario. In that event I'd go with diesel, since gasoline production would either stop or be dramatically reduced in a worldwide crisis, and the fuel on hand would deteriorate over time. A diesel can run off of so many kinds of fuel oil that fueling your BOV would be no problem when gas-powered vehicles would be out of luck. Just throwing that out there.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Only thing is you have to decide if the BOV is purely for short term natural disasters and such, or if you're talking Mad Max-type worst case scenario. In that event I'd go with diesel, since gasoline production would either stop or be dramatically reduced in a worldwide crisis, and the fuel on hand would deteriorate over time. A diesel can run off of so many kinds of fuel oil that fueling your BOV would be no problem when gas-powered vehicles would be out of luck. Just throwing that out there.

true i forgot about that, i used to have an old power stroke turbo diesel that i ran on used transmission fluid. just remember to filter the bejesus out of what ever you plan to use. still though i think i'll stick with my edible transportation the good ole C.A.T.D. (combat all terrain donkey).

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    true i forgot about that, i used to have an old power stroke turbo diesel that i ran on used transmission fluid. just remember to filter the bejesus out of what ever you plan to use. still though i think i'll stick with my edible transportation the good ole C.A.T.D. (combat all terrain donkey).

Out in my BOV area, wild burros are my primary long-term food source. Got a couple of back country watering holes they frequent...got jerkey for umpteen months after bagging just one. I'll see you guys in Barter Town....

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Out in my BOV area, wild burros are my primary long-term food source. Got a couple of back country watering holes they frequent...got jerkey for umpteen months after bagging just one. I'll see you guys in Barter Town....
    When you and I are neighbors it will be a moot point. We will be eating prime rib the size of Rhode Island, that is if there is still room after that hearty breakfast of farm fresh eggs and pancakes. You better get a Mrs that can cook (mine can't). There are hops farms all around me and an operational vinyard walking distance. World class fishing too. Our only worry will be the starving liberals that will descend like locust as no doubt they will assume someone else will feed them. Hmmmmmm, note to self, get half dozen pigs to take care of leftover liberals.

Top Bottom