• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Classifying the two as different.

Evacuation: A localized act of nature or man-made disaster which requires the organized temporary (unlikely permanent) re-location of your home's inhabitants to a temporary relatively nearby location (home of friends/family or lodging)

Bugout: Collapse of society on a significant level requiring the permanent re-location of your home's inhabitants to a secure location to ensure safety from an anarchic population for an indefinite period of time.

Preparing a bag (that you could carry hands free) for each? what would you put in them?
    Guns International

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If you bug out what will you leave behind? Family heirlooms, important documents (birth certificates, bank statements, medical records, etc.).

Thinking of just yourself, or do family and neighbors come to mind?

Unless you are in a flood plain or next to a nuclear power plant that is melting down, it is best to stay put.

If society collapses, millions of others will try to do what you wish to do. The highways and roads will be clogged. Gas stations will have no fuel.

You will collide with others in the wilderness hunting for food. You might find water, but no source of grains, sugars, and long-term sustenance.

If you do, someone will take it from you.

Better to stock up on long-shelf life foods --- Beans, Rice, Bacon, Cured Beef, and Bourbon.

The minute you are on the road you become a target of predators.

It is not easy to escape an ambush.

Better to hunker down, enlist your neighbors for support, and defend your little corner of Earth.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    If you bug out what will you leave behind? Family heirlooms, important documents (birth certificates, bank statements, medical records, etc.).

Thinking of just yourself, or do family and neighbors come to mind?

Unless you are in a flood plain or next to a nuclear power plant that is melting down, it is best to stay put.

If society collapses, millions of others will try to do what you wish to do. The highways and roads will be clogged. Gas stations will have no fuel.

You will collide with others in the wilderness hunting for food. You might find water, but no source of grains, sugars, and long-term sustenance.

If you do, someone will take it from you.

Better to stock up on long-shelf life foods --- Beans, Rice, Bacon, Cured Beef, and Bourbon.

The minute you are on the road you become a target of predators.

It is not easy to escape an ambush.

Better to hunker down, enlist your neighbors for support, and defend your little corner of Earth.

I've scanned all important documents and have it backed up on multiple thumb drives, DVD's, at my office, parents house, in the car, in my safe, up on Dropbox, on Google Drive.

Have spare food, water, and medical supplies for up to 10 people for 3 weeks, or just the 2 of us for much longer.

Have guns and ammo to make sure no one will take anything from us.

Also, multiple sources of water catchment.

Multiple ways to make fire.

Purchase food stocks when they're on sale and put dates on everything with a Sharpie and once every 2 months, see what is going to expire in a few months and rotate it out into your normal food pantry.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bug out - What I need to stay alive for an extended period. Sleeping bag, ground pad, food, a bivvy or single-person tent, food, at least a gallon - gallon and a half of water, camping cook set, water purification system of some kind (because trust me, the water you can carry won't last long), clean socks, hygiene kit, at least two methods of making fire...

Basically all the crap I lug along on a backpacking trip. If it isn't enough to keep you alive for at least a week (and set you up for longer-term survival) without anybody lending you a hand, you're wrong.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Bugout evac bag- Cash, water, snacks, clothes, and important documents. Would be in a car, so my guns and ammo would ride along with all of my silver and small family heirlooms....assuming something damaging was coming our way.

INCH (I'm never coming home) bag- MRE's, calorie bars, matches in dry container,lighters, snugtite sleeplight sleeping bag,ground mat,fleck shelter halves/poncho system,socks,sardines,freeze dried food,camelbak, water treatment tabs,straw filter,ammo,first aid,collapsable fish rod,multiple knives, bayonet,multi tool,para cord,small cook set, 3 piece canteen,toothbrush/paste..I know I've forgot a couple of things. This is a rare scneario that sucks to think about.
    Here a pic of some of my INCH contents:
    9ung.jpg

I would burry a re supply cache some where to come back to.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    One other thought: If you have a bag, you need to be in shape to freakin' use it. Shoulder that pack and go for a walk.

And you need to not only be able to carry it, but to be able to use it. I highly recommend some wilderness camping trips as educational tools. You pick up skills, you get comfortable using your equipment and you can figure out what equipment works, what doesn't, and adjust as necessary.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    M. Sage - YES.

I take mine with me when I go hunting, and walking in the woods with that much weight is a whole different world. For me, I have a three tier system.

1) Shoulder bag that has a G26, extra mag, paracord, pry bar, compass, whistle, good first aid kit, gloves, batteries, ear pro, water treatment, emergency blankets, super glue, basic tools, multi tool, a couple cliff bars, money, pens, notepad, and some things like that. It's small, light weight, and it's damn near an EDC. (if not on me, it's in the car.) It's my "get home" bag if the car breaks down, get lost hiking, I need a first aid kit, or whatever else thing that happens for surviving in the short term.

2) The 72 hour bag that's set up for roughly a week. Same basic stuff as above, but also clothes, a tarp, more food, mags, etc. It's my "I have no idea when I may be back to society, so it's as much as I can realistically carry on me." I guess that's the 'evac' bag.

3) Rubbermade tubs with a lid in the vehicle. Spare boots, more spare clothes, extra tarps, tent, sleeping bag, blankets, 4-6 gallons of water, more tools, fishing gear, axe, garbage bags, extra skinning knife, sugar and deer corn, few boxes of ammo, and all the things that are too heavy to carry in a pack for extended periods of time.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    One other thought: If you have a bag, you need to be in shape to freakin' use it. Shoulder that pack and go for a walk.

And you need to not only be able to carry it, but to be able to use it. I highly recommend some wilderness camping trips as educational tools. You pick up skills, you get comfortable using your equipment and you can figure out what equipment works, what doesn't, and adjust as necessary.

I regret not having been in the Boy Scouts.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I regret not having been in the Boy Scouts.

It's never too late to take a backpacking trip to Big Bend... A 55 year old retired tanker and I get out for a long 4 day trek through some mountains about once a year. I've been backpacking for 25 years, but he just picked it up a few years ago and loves it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's never too late to take a backpacking trip to Big Bend... A 55 year old retired tanker and I get out for a long 4 day trek through some mountains about once a year. I've been backpacking for 25 years, but he just picked it up a few years ago and loves it.

This.

I'm still fairly new to backpacking but have learned a LOT in the trips I've got under my belt. The last trip, I was sleeping in temps under 20F without a tent. I even managed to be part of a group that got lost once and it was a great lesson on how to spot someone who's lost (if you hear or say the phrase "we have to be..." followed by a location, you're lost) and avoid panicking when you are. Also reinforced the whole "two is one, one is none" adage. We ran out of water because 3/5 of the group was carrying a quart or two each, but me and one other had said "screw that, an extra four pounds isn't going to kill us" and walked in with a gallon each. Turns out that extra four pounds each probably saved us.

Link up with someone that knows what they're doing and hit the trail. It's a lot of fun and a great way to decompress.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Good advice here. I am going to get my pack in serious order and head out. I keep putting it off, but Sage, you just got my mind back on track. Thanks.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You should definitely wear your pack on some hikes.

I would only use back packing supplies as a base model for supplies and add to that for things you're gonna need for the long term. I learned alot things from my boy scout days including multiple ways of starting fires, tieing knots, and making flotation devices out of clothes.

Just remember that there is no " one pack fits all" pack. You have to figure out what suits you/family over time and usage, not to mention where your secondary location is at, if you have one.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just a brief scan of postings but, I haven't seen too much mention of basic medical supplies often. Any SHTF bag, in any shape or fashion should have a least some of the basic first aid items

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    My thoughts exactly. I recently became an ECA (1 step below EMT) and I carry a small trauma bag in my car. I know there's lot of things we would like to have in our bags, but it's a case of what we can reasonably carry. I personally divide things into the following categories:

- Sustenance: Food, water and in my case dog food... (the dog food part sucks, but they've gotta have something to eat too)
    - Medical/Hygiene: prescription medications, painkillers, Antiseptics/Antibiotics, Trauma kit, Body Soap/Hand sanitizer,
    - Personal defense: Firearm(s) w/ ammunition, blade(s) of some kind
    - Clothes: You will need them eventually, even if it's just one complete change while you clean the other.
    - Survival tools: various items you'll need to survive in a rural or uninhabited environment
    - Currency: Cash, previous metals or barter items.

Based on your family size, you'll have to choose which categories are more important. You can only carry/transport so much.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Too many focus on Kit, not on hunkering down or escape and evasion. How will you find a safe refuge when having to escape the city?

Your kit is only good once you find a safe haven.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My thoughts exactly. I recently became an ECA (1 step below EMT) and I carry a small trauma bag in my car. I know there's lot of things we would like to have in our bags, but it's a case of what we can reasonably carry. I personally divide things into the following categories:

- Sustenance: Food, water and in my case dog food... (the dog food part sucks, but they've gotta have something to eat too)
    - Medical/Hygiene: prescription medications, painkillers, Antiseptics/Antibiotics, Trauma kit, Body Soap/Hand sanitizer,
    - Personal defense: Firearm(s) w/ ammunition, blade(s) of some kind
    - Clothes: You will need them eventually, even if it's just one complete change while you clean the other.
    - Survival tools: various items you'll need to survive in a rural or uninhabited environment
    - Currency: Cash, previous metals or barter items.

Based on your family size, you'll have to choose which categories are more important. You can only carry/transport so much.

Make your dogs carry their own food.Amazon.com: Dog Backpack I got one for my dog, she carried a week's worth of food (and some extra) without a problem.

Too many focus on Kit, not on hunkering down or escape and evasion. How will you find a safe refuge when having to escape the city?

Your kit can be geared toward getting you to that safe haven. If you die of exposure before you can reach that place, it might as well not exist.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Not all of us llive in the city, that's why one's kit should be indivualized. If I have to leave, then it's a serious situation and straight to the woods I go. Better to have and not need , than need and not have. You can dump things or burry a cache if it is just too heavy for you, as for mine ...tested and tried. Good to go.

M. Sage- Good point on the dogs, mine have their own packs as well. Having your dogs trained to stay low and observe is good too.

As far as meds go...I have a full on field Army trauma kit that covers as much as it can. I have a Paramedic in my group, so I hope he can administer any thing that I don't know how to use.

Last edited:

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Make your dogs carry their own food.Amazon.com: Dog Backpack I got one for my dog, she carried a week's worth of food (and some extra) without a problem.

We have one for our St Bernard.....unfortunately, it will hold about 3 days worth of food/water or a week's worth of food only. (guess it's better than nothing) The puppy doesn't have one yet.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You should definitely wear your pack on some hikes.

I would only use back packing supplies as a base model for supplies and add to that for things you're gonna need for the long term. I learned alot things from my boy scout days including multiple ways of starting fires, tieing knots, and making flotation devices out of clothes.

Just remember that there is no " one pack fits all" pack. You have to figure out what suits you/family over time and usage, not to mention where your secondary location is at, if you have one.

What you put in the pack depends greatly on what you're going to be doing. I'll pack a lot differently if I'm going to hike out, set up a camp and do day trips than I am if I'm doing a point A to point B hike. The weather I expect, terrain, water availability, etc. and so on will determine what goes inside the pack, too. My point about backpacking was that it's a great way to learn to plan for those kind of things, how to shake down some of the stuff you might be using in a serious situation (not that those can't happen when you're hiking...) and how to spot good vs bad gear even if it's not something you're using on your fun trips.

I sure have learned some lessons on poly filled bags vs down.

Oh, and before I forget - trash bags! And ziploc bags of various sizes. If the stuff in your pack isn't organized and waterproofed, you're wrong. Very wrong. When I pack, it's not uncommon to find ziploc bags containing stuff inside of ziploc bags used just to hold a few ziploc bags of stuff (pre-measured Gatorade powder doses or snacks for days 1-5 would each go into a individual then common ziplocs for example).

One other lesson I learned is that even if you plan and pack for everything, you can't plan and pack for everything - like getting lost on a New Mexico mountain or forgetting a sponge to do the dishes. Yeah, we discovered we'd forgot that one year after eating dinner the first evening. Oops. My friend goes, "now what" and I said something like "screw it - I have 550 cord!" He only thought I was joking... :p

Yeah, it sounds like a fairly minor thing until you think about what it'd be like having food poisoning out in the ass end of nowhere. "Minor" things like that can become serious trouble very quickly. Clean dishes become a bit more important...

Top Bottom