• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Riveting without heating the rivet, of course: Cold Rivets - Types and Uses

Hot, cold and pop. Those are the three rivets I know of. Pop riveting isn't terribly high strength, especially when it comes to shearing, so it's not going to be useful for an AK. Putting red hot rivets in the AK and mashing them seems like overkill; they're not big enough to be hard to deform.

You can always do a screw build, but IMO factory AKs are riveted for a reason.

I asked because I've never heard it quite put that way in reference to AKs.

I've been building AKs for years for my personal enjoyment and collection.

Screw builds are for wallhangers, imho.
    Target Sports

Ron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Not Imported?

I have followed this thread closely and have to say it was interesting.
    I learned alot that I did not realize.
    I have collected , shot hunted and target shot most of my life and I was under the impression that AKs were imported,? Have I missed it somewhere?
    They are parts kits that are assembled?
    Parts that can only contain no more than 10 imported parts , the rest have to be usa made?
    I have never been interested in an AK although they have a unique sound, I have built several ARs,
    mny bolt action hunting and target rifles.
    I never could get past the listings of so many AKs with so many different model designations that did not include the familiar AK in its text.
    So the receivers I see that are stamped from Egypt, Romania , Check, Russian etc are not really made there? are they an outer shell and the true receiver is inside?
    Interesting, I had plans on buying one , a complete rifle and shoot it to see how it functions but I dont believe I will .
    I was shopping for a good brand, I came from the old school of Walnut and Rust Blue and even stainless give me chills, so I thought I would buy an upper end one but could never light on one I felt filled the bill.
    But built from parts kits is really different.
    Thanks for the interesting thread.
    Ron

NewTxn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Is there anyone in the Austin/SA area set up for builds? I have a few kits that need to be built. Since moving into a 1BR apartment I really don't have the ability to get them put together.

Also, would anyone be interested in having a full heat treat done on bent flats? There is a place in Round Rock that does it but it isn't cost effective to only do a few.

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    Re: Build Party Austin/San Antonio Area

If there is going to be a build party, I would very much like to join in. I have NDS receivers and virgin barrels. Also have a set of rivet tools I can borrow but no press and no idea what I'm doing. ...but it sounded like fun when I bought the parts.

DilloMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Leander
    Austin AK Build party?

I have an AMD I need put togather that has been on my bench for nearly 2 years. I need to build, have built or sell. Please let me know of anybody in the Austin area that can help.

NewTxn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    I might be able to lend a few tools. I have a bolt cutter rivet tool, most of a trigger guard jig, and some archaic methods for installing barrels and rear trunions.

j.r.flaco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Austin
    looking for AK build party

I'm in Austin & have up to 5 kits to build. I don't have to do them all at once; looking to build before the summer. Central Tx would be great but Houston & Dallas is possible. I'm itching to do at least one. Has anyone had any experience with the Royal Tiger(IO) AK47c receivers? Thanks.

NewTxn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Has anyone had any experience with the Royal Tiger(IO) AK47c receivers? Thanks.

All I know is that they are inexpensive. But for not much more you can get an NDS-3 which has a proven track record of being an excellent receiver that is easy to build on.

akarfal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Johnson county
    All I know is that they are inexpensive. But for not much more you can get an NDS-3 which has a proven track record of being an excellent receiver that is easy to build on.

+1 NDS is the only way to go. For straight AKM's, I use the NDS-1's as I like to drill my own Trunnion holes. I also only use AK-builder rivets and pistons and Tapco G-2 FCG's.

I will be set up at the High Caliber Gun Show in FT. Worth on Dec 19/20, it you want to pick up 922R parts at a good price and maybe set something up on the builds.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom