• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yes. The type of extension tube is what creates constructive intent/what the firearm type is once said tube is installed. To my knowledge there is no reason to worry. Add to cart, check out. All parts in question for constructive intent are only pistol. The only company I know who’s weird about selling a pistol upper is stag.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I *think* some argue the 4473 for the striped lower needs to have been marked ‘pistol’ to cover all the bases. I couldn’t tell you what the FFL marked in that box on any of my lowers.

From the 4473:

Question 16. Type of Firearm(s): "Other" refers to frames, receivers and other firearms that are neither handguns nor long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as firearms having a pistol grip that expel a shotgun shell, or National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms, including silencers.
    If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, frames and receivers are still "firearms" by definition, and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See Section 921(a)(3)(B). Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be made into a long gun, is a "firearm other than a shotgun or rifle," it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21, nor can these firearms be transferred to anyone who is not a resident of the State where the transfer is to take place. Also, note that multiple sales forms are not required for frames or receivers of any firearms, or pistol grip shotguns, since they are not "pistols or revolvers" under Section 923(g)(3)(A).

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yes. The type of extension tube is what creates constructive intent/what the firearm type is once said tube is installed. To my knowledge there is no reason to worry. Add to cart, check out. All parts in question for constructive intent are only pistol. The only company I know who’s weird about selling a pistol upper is stag.

You can build a pistol with a standard carbine tube and put a brace on it.

PSA sells these kits too: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit-5165448818.html

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I *think* some argue the 4473 for the striped lower needs to have been marked ‘pistol’ to cover all the bases. I couldn’t tell you what the FFL marked in that box on any of my lowers.

Anyone who argues that does not know what they are talking about. The correct box to check for a stripped lower is "Other".

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Yes. The type of extension tube is what creates constructive intent/what the firearm type is once said tube is installed.

No.

What the gun actually is determines what it is. Imagine that. Stock with 12 BBL? SBR. Stock with 18
    BBL? Rifle. No stock and 10" BBL? handgun. etc.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    This is all jogging my memory now. In Oregon they got rid of “other”. That’s why we had to be aware of what tubes we used.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    What sort of weirdness have you encountered or heard of?
    At one point I looked at their pistol complete upper and the website said they wanted a form for an sbr approval emailed or faxed. Stags a good company, they make good parts you can count on to be in spec, but i was like wth stag?

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Can a state change a federal form ?

The only time you may run into a problem with a AR pistol that started as a stripped lower and you do not know how the form was marked would be if the gun was used in a crime or to defend your life and even in that situation I bet you would have to have killed someone for anyone to ever check out your 4473

This is all jogging my memory now. In Oregon they got rid of “other”. That’s why we had to be aware of what tubes we used.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Can a state change a federal form ?
    Yes. It caused a lot of negative feedback. I would buy a stripped lower just cause at times and you had to select rifle or pistol. Assuming the gender of my lower offended my anmosexuality. I believe it was only for a very short time. Don’t quote me on this but I wanna say it was Kate browns executive order? Probably explains why it was so short lived. It wasn’t valid. Im only speculating why it was short lived. I remember she had something to do with it. I don’t recall if Oregon got its own 4473 in that time but do clearly remember in the osp (Oregon state police does the bg checks in Oregon) that for that limited time it would only have values for rifle or pistol.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Really? They have a special Federal 4473 just for them. I dont think so Tim.

4473 is the same, everywhere. There are different language versions, but it is the same form.

You must be thinking of a state form, which has nothing to do with Federal law.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Really? They have a special Federal 4473 just for them. I dont think so Tim.

4473 is the same, everywhere. There are different language versions, but it is the same form.

You must be thinking of a state form, which has nothing to do with Federal law.
    Please read. I have another post saying I don’t know if they had another 4473. As I should have mentioned the change happened over the software used to communicate with osp. Other was removed.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    As you say no S/N no way to track it so unless you tell the person messing with you that you made it a rifle first then into a pistol or you posted in the open on the internet about making a SBR no one else can prove one way other the other what it was originally put together as.

I realize that it's not considered a gun, YET, but when you finish it out and buy the upper kit it will be, although with no SN. And could either be a pistol or rifle.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Please read. I have another post saying I don’t know if they had another 4473. As I should have mentioned the change happened over the software used to communicate with osp. Other was removed.

You read. This is Texas Gun Talk. OP is in Houston Texas. Nobody here gives a shit about what the laws are in Oregon.

Top Bottom