• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I've got the itch to buy a new gun. I'm not sure what gun (maybe handgun) yet, but I am thinking about trying to build a rifle. The S&W M&P 15 used to be $500 but now it's $600~ and so is the Ruger AR556. I'm wondering if I can build a gun of similar price that's worth it or just buy a cheap rifle.

I'm open to different semi auto guns. I thought about a (quality?) century arms, but they're a bit more expensive, then those AR-15's. I haven't seen a C308 in person, but I seen parts of a real HK .308 version and thought it looked cool. I'm open to a AK style gun too. I don't know what other guns are out there.

I'm probably going to try and feed it steel cased ammo and stick to iron sights and prefer it to be a rifle caliber and one that's not going to break the bank.(I think .30-06 was up there)

But anyways, in this current market/economy, can I build some sort of rifle $500~ with new parts? Brands? or should I stick to buying a premade rifle?

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Venture Surplus ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have built only one AR but after I completed it (with the bare minimum parts), I've come to the conclusion one can be bought for the same or even cheaper outlay than buying all the parts new and building. It really depends on how many upgraded parts, etc. the builder wants to put on it. The basic upper and lower receiver with all the internals is relatively inexpensive, but the sights, forearm, grip, stock, trigger (better than the standard), etc. is what may run the price up to and above one that is bought with all the things the buyer wants on his particular gun.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    This interests me also. I do not if it's true but I've stayed away from buying rifles or carbines someone built to sell, or building one myself, because I have read that gaps and spacing should be measured and confirmed for specific tolerances. That parts are not truly plug and play. Is this true? If it is, how do you know Joe blow putting parts together did it correctly?

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Millions of answers to this one.

Last AR's my son and I built were 275 (sans optics and mags) One in 5.56 and one in .223 Wylde. Other than that Identical. Your call.
    IMG_1718.JPG

Pistol too.....

IMG_1633.JPG

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    This interests me also. I do not if it's true but I've stayed away from buying rifles or carbines someone built to sell, or building one myself, because I have read that gaps and spacing should be measured and confirmed for specific tolerances. That parts are not truly plug and play. Is this true? If it is, how do you know Joe blow putting parts together did it correctly?

Nope....plug and play. Quite easy if your mechanically inclined. Need a couple of specialty tools just to make it easier. 25 bucks for an armorers wrench. Punches and nice small hammer. Vise block set if your gonna do an upper. Torque wrench is a nice plus.

Now....dont get me wrong. You can spend gozillions puttin one together and I admit I shop super hard for components (price wise)

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Most of it is plug and play but fine tuning can come after it's assembled. If one was going to hunt game or just targets out to 300,400, or 500 yds.+, it gonna' cost ya!
    VERY true. These are good out to bouts 300 (depending on your particular eyes)

Anything beyond that MAY require some rethinkin.....and badass optics.

Mine go super bang. I love em. No problems with them. I also have a S&W Sport II. Super nice gun but no better than what I built.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Millions of answers to this one.

Last AR's my son and I built were 275 (sans optics and mags) One in 5.56 and one in .223 Wylde. Other than that Identical. Your call. View attachment 140792

Pistol too.....

View attachment 140793
    How did you manage that cheap? I've found PSA and Ceratac but I still need to get a lower and I'm not sure how much those are going for at a local shop. FMK polymer lower is what I'm seeing online. Last time I heard about polymer lowers for AR-15 was when that guy was trying to 3d print one.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    My secret to buildin cheap is Primary in Pearland (Houston)

I go visit my grandkids in Pearland pretty regular so I watch Primary like a hawk and score Anderson lowers for 29-34 bucks. No transfer (fee) if you pick up so just a touch of tax and your down the road.

Next, after the Anderson sale they will usually run Bear Creek BCG's for 59 bucks. Gotta score one of those. I have it shipped for the few bucks unless Im gonna be there.

Next is DeltaTeamTactical. There are several companies out there that do kits and this is the one I like. Kits running around 225 on up to 350 for AERO stuff.

These 3 components are it. Put it together. Put a reddot on it and slap a mag in it. Off to the races.

I really like building cause you intimately know every single part inside.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Unless you know somebody or already have some parts, it's gonna' be almost impossible to build one for $275 when you start thinking bolt, barrel, upper, lower, handguard, sights, etc. Not saying it can't happen but if you start pricing the lowest parts on the internet I'd bet you come up with at least a couple of hundred dollars more.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Then if you shop hard you can wait for discount codes etc. which is how I play it with Delta (free shippin on their kits)

275....as advertised in the pic I posted (NOT including the cost of rustolem camo paint):green:

Its VERY relative to how much time you want to spend on it chasing parts and pricing. Im a plant operator so unless somethin breaks I have quite a bit of time on my hands:green:

Palmetto is a simple and elegant solution vs time. All in one shot, one store, and really decent prices.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I actually have a bit more in the pistol. Bought the Palmetto kit then added KAK and a Troy Claymore. Pistols cost a touch more than rifles IMHO cause of things you HAVE to have on em, like the linear compensator and a good blade (that has an ATF letter backin it):green:

Thats about all I got. Help any way I can.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Ahhh. We need to talk lowers for a bit.

Primary is a huge online retailer so having them be convenient is a big plus cause they have killer prices. If you cant find a good deal, local Austin, then I suppose you will have to get one online and transfer it. I usually go for the Anderson. Good name, dependable, consistent, inexpensive. Primary has AERO stuff really cheap too.

Palmetto has a good product and its very inexpensive on sale (regularly)

Classic is sellin off the old MagTec stock really cheap so you could get a Magnesium lower from them (been thinkin about gettin one)

Im a polymer pistol guy but Im not really comfortable with that thought on my AR so I dont do that. I do kinda like the looks of the "PLUM" brand poly lowers and Centerfire has them on sale right now.

A buddy in Dallas caught a clearance sale at his LGS and bought poly lowers for 5 bucks apiece. He bought 20 (bet the FBI didnt care for that...lol)

Like I said...time vs shopping vs convenience.

You can post what you want in the "Gun Deals" thread. Those guys are shopping hounds all the time everyday (takes one to know one right?) They will post up deals when they find em. Saves you big on time and effort.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I've got the itch to buy a new gun. I'm not sure what gun (maybe handgun) yet, but I am thinking about trying to build a rifle. The S&W M&P 15 used to be $500 but now it's $600~ and so is the Ruger AR556. I'm wondering if I can build a gun of similar price that's worth it or just buy a cheap rifle.

I'm open to different semi auto guns. I thought about a (quality?) century arms, but they're a bit more expensive, then those AR-15's. I haven't seen a C308 in person, but I seen parts of a real HK .308 version and thought it looked cool. I'm open to a AK style gun too. I don't know what other guns are out there.

I'm probably going to try and feed it steel cased ammo and stick to iron sights and prefer it to be a rifle caliber and one that's not going to break the bank.(I think .30-06 was up there)

But anyways, in this current market/economy, can I build some sort of rifle $500~ with new parts? Brands? or should I stick to buying a premade rifle?

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    If you want to build a cheap AR, it will cost you more than if you bought one, but if you want to go HIGH end you can build it a little cheaper than you can buy it.

Assembling an AR is not a difficult task, yes you need some speciality tools but your total tool investment would most likely not exceed $150 if you had no tools at all.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Like Roman said, you can pick up deals here and there and take your time getting parts... but it gets more complicated than some can handle. I've used a spreadsheet for tracking parts I need, sources, prices, etc..

I don't think I've done as low as $275 on an AR, but sub $400 for sure....and it ran. I do have an AK Draco clone I built (from a flat and a partial parts kit, buying other parts here and there) for $175, but there's no practical way I could do that in today's market... AK parts are just way higher than they used to be. (disclaimer- that $175 does not include amortized cost of tooling, fixtures, presses, welders etc needed to build AKs... but I still have the stuff that others didn't bring to the build parties)

Last edited:

napalmsloth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2018
    Beaumont
    I built mine. I probably could have bought a similar one cheaper, but I like the experience, and I get better at it each time. Next, I’m going to do a Polymer80 build. I’m looking forward to that experience.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I built all my ARs. But after stealing a million dollars worth of LWRCs from my dad I feel like it's all I need lol.

Actually, I do want to build a super lightweight AR, the LWRCs are heavy as shit.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Top Bottom