• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Or, use my approach. Have like 5 or 6 that you keep stealing parts from to complete the next one in line. Then, one weekend, you realise you have 5 or 6 AR's that all need something.

After that, go to texas gun trader and start looking for something else. Hmmm, maybe I need another com block rifle, no wait.... I need a(nother) 1911, or was it a M1A.

Rinse and repeat....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    As said, I don't think you save much building it, but it's very satisfying and fun with the right tools. The only thing I might suggest is buying a barrel with a factory set gas block. Companies often won't warranty it if you install the gas block.

One warning, you can get carried away upgrading parts and your $500-$600 rifle ends up being $1,000 or more, but then it shoots like one that is of higher quality.

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    There are a number of advantages to building your own. You don't have to lay out the money for all the parts at once and can fit the build speed to your budget. If you start with a low to mid quality "ready made" and decide to upgrade, you end up with a bunch of spare parts which is essentially money down the drain. Building your own lets you pick the parts you want. Buy once, cry once.

There's also the fun doing your own assembly. You'll end up knowing more about the rifle and how things work. There is a special pride and joy you'll feel when your new baby speaks her first words.

The only downside (or advantage, depending on your point of view) is that it is difficult to stop building rifles and the safe can quickly become overcrowded.
    found_a_roll_pin.jpg

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    I've got the itch to buy a new gun. I'm not sure what gun (maybe handgun) yet, but I am thinking about trying to build a rifle. The S&W M&P 15 used to be $500 but now it's $600~ and so is the Ruger AR556. I'm wondering if I can build a gun of similar price that's worth it or just buy a cheap rifle.

I'm open to different semi auto guns. I thought about a (quality?) century arms, but they're a bit more expensive, then those AR-15's. I haven't seen a C308 in person, but I seen parts of a real HK .308 version and thought it looked cool. I'm open to a AK style gun too. I don't know what other guns are out there.

I'm probably going to try and feed it steel cased ammo and stick to iron sights and prefer it to be a rifle caliber and one that's not going to break the bank.(I think .30-06 was up there)

But anyways, in this current market/economy, can I build some sort of rifle $500~ with new parts? Brands? or should I stick to buying a premade rifle?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

ARs come in all different qualities. Barrel finish and quality do not only affect accuracy but also longevity. A parkerized barrel is generally not a desireable as a nitrated barrel. I have just bought a complete kit from PSA on their Father's Day sale for $379 and will use an Anderson lower that I have since a while to complete the build. Here is a pretty good kit for $419, the lower is about $50 plus transfer. With those parts you will get a rifle for less than $500 that should last for thousands of rounds and get 2 MOA.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...rifle-kit-with-mbus-sight-set-5165447630.html

The CAI Cetme G3 clones have a pretty bad reputation. The German military used the Cetme and HK G3 and rifles had to group 12 cm at 100 m to be accepted, better shooting ones were fitted with a Hensoldt 4x24 and used as sniper rifles. Imho the HK G3 is an ill balanced rifle.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Or, use my approach. Have like 5 or 6 that you keep stealing parts from to complete the next one in line. Then, one weekend, you realise you have 5 or 6 AR's that all need something.

After that, go to texas gun trader and start looking for something else. Hmmm, maybe I need another com block rifle, no wait.... I need a(nother) 1911, or was it a M1A.

Rinse and repeat....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    after a while you realize you have enough spare parts to put together a few more rifles. the only thing in currently missing is barrels. I gave my last one to a neighbor when teaching him the ways. We were about to take a grinder to the A2 site when I said "wait a minute" and found an old PTAC barrel, gas block and I think we robbed his bushy gas tube.

I've always said I'm not an AR guy, but after this last haul from SD I think I'm over the 10 mark.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    after a while you realize you have enough spare parts to put together a few more rifles. the only thing in currently missing is barrels. I gave my last one to a neighbor when teaching him the ways. We were about to take a grinder to the A2 site when I said "wait a minute" and found an old PTAC barrel, gas block and I think we robbed his bushy gas tube.

I've always said I'm not an AR guy, but after this last haul from SD I think I'm over the 10 mark.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Whatever you say AR guy.

Recon2018

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I purchased parts and realized I didn't have all the necessary tools to properly assemble my AR...so I drove down the street to the best gunsmith in town (Blackjacks in Austin), and a few days and $200 later I had a full build that didn't need any further modifications. I ended up spending $1800 total on an AR that in my opinion (partswise) is better overall than a DD MK18, for less, WITH upgrades I would have purchased for my AR anyways to run it supressed (supressed bolt from bootleg, gieselle charging handle, trigger, etc.) and the necessary muzzle device to attach my supressor (M4-2000). Overall I saved probably $500, given the upgrades I would have added, instead of buying a DD MK18 with a very similar spec. THIS IS EVEN WITH PAYING A gunsmith to assemble properly. If I had purchased the tools myself I probably could have saved $600 total.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I purchased parts and realized I didn't have all the necessary tools to properly assemble my AR...so I drove down the street to the best gunsmith in town (Blackjacks in Austin), and a few days and $200 later I had a full build that didn't need any further modifications. I ended up spending $1800 total on an AR that in my opinion (partswise) is better overall than a DD MK18, for less, WITH upgrades I would have purchased for my AR anyways to run it supressed (supressed bolt from bootleg, gieselle charging handle, trigger, etc.) and the necessary muzzle device to attach my supressor (M4-2000). Overall I saved probably $500, given the upgrades I would have added, instead of buying a DD MK18 with a very similar spec. THIS IS EVEN WITH PAYING A gunsmith to assemble properly. If I had purchased the tools myself I probably could have saved $600 total.
    If you are planning on upgrading from a production model it is often cheaper to build, but are you ever really done upgrading?

Recon2018

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2018
    Austin, TX
    If you are planning on upgrading from a production model it is often cheaper to build, but are you ever really done upgrading?

I hear you but I am simplifying my life. One AR (My "MK18" pistol custom build that I completed), and one longish range toy (will only ever have one...most likely .308 or 6.5 creed) to practice with for fun, and possibly casual hunting with friends. Still haven't decided if it will be a bolt gun or semi auto.

*BTW my AR SPECS: Aero Prec. upper + lower, Noveske 10.5'' barrel + carbine length gas tube, AAC muzzle break (blast protection for Supressor baffels, running 100% supressed), geiselle SD3g trigger, geiselle rail, geiselle gasbuster style charging handle, bootleg supressed bolt carrier, magpul grip, SB brace, LAW FOLDER (awesome), EOTECH 552 (like 10+ years old BEAST with replaced internals, cuz they melted), and DD front and rear Irons.

Selling a 16'' ATX Armory AR rifle with leupold 1-4x VXR Patrol Firedot + Leupold base. Sweet rifle but don't need it and won't shoot it as much as my MK18 so why have it.

If I ever go hunting "big game" which I have dreamed of in the past, I'll just buy a gun for the trip, then sell it.

And i'm selling most of my pistols off. (Keeping G19, VP9, G21 (want to sell it but I just shoot it too well), and G43)

Too much stuff to spend money on and I built my "FINAL" AR15 and I am totally happy with it. Just going to spend money on ammo and replacing parts that break. If AR Pistols become outlawed due to some ATF shenanigans, I will buy a stock and longer barrel, trip to gunsmith, and leave it be.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Do you really want to build the gun or do you just want to have and shoot it?

Building isn’t hard for the most part...but components (the functional parts) and specs make a world of difference. Good ones aren’t cheap, and you aren’t buying in “lots”.

Either way, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Do you really want to build the gun or do you just want to have and shoot it?

Building isn’t hard for the most part...but components (the functional parts) and specs make a world of difference. Good ones aren’t cheap, and you aren’t buying in “lots”.

Either way, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The old axe of well I can build that for a tenth of the price...true, you can I will not deny that, but if you compare with any of the quality high end stuff from outfits like LMT or LaRue for example you are not going to build at their level for a tenth of the price, in fact it will prob cost you as much or more.

You can build a watch for 1/10th the price of a Rolex, but you don't have a Rolex.

Last edited:

Recon2018

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I'd say you can also just shop for comparable price/performance. For example, you could buy a geiselle trigger, but there are some others out there with similar performance for quite a bit less. Plus you might like the feel more. One of my ARs came with a random aftermarket trigger (hipfire maybe? I have no idea I haven't taken it out) and it feels really nice, almost as nice as my geiselle in my other AR.

Even better example is in a part like bolt/bolt carrier...a gemtech unit is so expensive and doesn't even include a bolt. Bootleg makes a highly reviewed suppressed bolt carrier that includes all internals and saves you alot. I forget the price differences but its definitely over $100.00.

There are also alot of budget 1-4x scopes that compete with the super expensive 1-4x scopes, and often times are more light-weight, and while they might have a bit less clarity, get the job done just as well. Leupold VXR Patrol vs Trijicon Accupoint for example.

So maybe what I'm trying to say is I can build that for 8/10th of the price and still be just about as effective. ;)

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Since I haven't built any that are just like a production model it's a bit hard to say how much it would go for. Only minor parts are what I would call "mil-spec", and I wouldn't buy a part that I would want to change out later just because it was cheap at the time.

Recon2018

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Since I haven't built any that are just like a production model it's a bit hard to say how much it would go for. Only minor parts are what I would call "mil-spec", and I wouldn't buy a part that I would want to change out later just because it was cheap at the time.

Agreed. Everyone should have one rifle that they are totally happy with every single part on it. I think perhaps after having one like that though, making "budget" plinkers that are 80-90% of the performance for much less makes alot of sense. Just my .2 cents though. Because I don't intend to shoot other rifles anymore; just my premium "AR-Pistol" Mk18.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So maybe what I'm trying to say is I can build that for 8/10th of the price and still be just about as effective.
    80% of the price gets you 98% of the performance in many areas of life. Chasing that last 2% can take all your money and all your time. The older I get, the less I think it's worthwhile.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    80% of the price gets you 98% of the performance in many areas of life. Chasing that last 2% can take all your money and all your time. The older I get, the less I think it's worthwhile.
    This^^^ The older one gets, it seems that "things" tend to de-value themselves. To the point of "..couldn't live without it .." at one time, but now it's "...where tha' hell am I gonna' put all this junk?".

Top Bottom