• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    Looking for some advice; I'm building my first long-range .308 rifle and will use the 770 as my base. I haven't decided on stock, etc... but want to get my can on order since it will take some time. Any advice on which can's work the best with this rifle? certain mfgr's to stay away from, certain ones to make sure I check out.... will be my first can purchase.

I was going to just get a nice break but I think i want the can so i buy/cry once vs. getting a break and then wishing.
    Guns International

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Re: Building .308; base is Rem 770 TAC AAC-SD

Well then it depends upon what you consider long range and what you want to hit.

A 700 with a 20 inch barrel is going to have less range than say the 700P.

And with the winds we have in NTX, it will be very hard to be accurate on many days past a few hundred yards.

As long as you understand these limitations, it is a good choice.

I myself use a 700P/300WINMAG for longer range (800+ yds).

What can were you thinking? What scope?

Remington700-308762-SD.gif

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx

I bought the millet LRS (.1 mil adjustments model) for an optic; have not decided on the stock yet and as far as the can i'm looking for some suggestions. I don't have experience with cans and it's not like I can try before I buy so i'm looking for real-world reviews and recommendations.

I have seen these 700's done up nice and been darn accurate at 1000 yards, not out of the box by any means but after some mods it seems to be a nice gun to use as the foundation of a build.

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX

Ive had some real good luck with out of the box 700's, but you better learn to reload to tune it. I just got in 8 lbs of IMR xbr powder and tested it yesterday with my 18.5" rem 700 in 308, and I was pushing lapua 155's at a little over 2900fps, which if you want to get to a grand with a short stick you are going to have to have a load that works for your gun and the 155's lapuas got the speed to get you there .

As far as cans I just got a bunch of aac 7.62sd's in for customers and I tried them out right next to my scar h ,1st gen aac 7.62sd and AWC thundertrap Ti and it was just as quiet as the other much more expensive cans. There are some really good cans out there but this new one impressed me and its lighter than its predecessor. As always listen to as many cans in person as possible and stay within your budget.

And if you are going to build out a 700. Simplest way to build a good rifle that will out shoot you is to get a 700 sps varmint (cheaper than the 700 pss and you've got 24 inches of barrel to work with) have the barrel cut down to the length you want. Yank the stock and throw it in the trash and get an aluminum bedded or fiberglass bedded stock. After that yank the trigger and get a trigger with a pull weight and travel you are comfortable with (timneys are great for the money), and to finish her off throw on a scope and go shooting! Make sure that you get your barrel threaded 5/8x24 tpi, pretty standard for 30 cal cans.

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx

Ive had some real good luck with out of the box 700's, but you better learn to reload to tune it. I just got in 8 lbs of IMR xbr powder and tested it yesterday with my 18.5" rem 700 in 308, and I was pushing lapua 155's at a little over 2900fps, which if you want to get to a grand with a short stick you are going to have to have a load that works for your gun and the 155's lapuas got the speed to get you there .

As far as cans I just got a bunch of aac 7.62sd's in for customers and I tried them out right next to my scar h ,1st gen aac 7.62sd and AWC thundertrap Ti and it was just as quiet as the other much more expensive cans. There are some really good cans out there but this new one impressed me and its lighter than its predecessor. As always listen to as many cans in person as possible and stay within your budget.

And if you are going to build out a 700. Simplest way to build a good rifle that will out shoot you is to get a 700 sps varmint (cheaper than the 700 pss and you've got 24 inches of barrel to work with) have the barrel cut down to the length you want. Yank the stock and throw it in the trash and get an aluminum bedded or fiberglass bedded stock. After that yank the trigger and get a trigger with a pull weight and travel you are comfortable with (timneys are great for the money), and to finish her off throw on a scope and go shooting! Make sure that you get your barrel threaded 5/8x24 tpi, pretty standard for 30 cal cans.

Thanks; the 700 is a 20" with a 1:10 and threaded already which is why I went with it. I figured that I would be able to spin some heavier bullets and get good stability. I read this article which looked at the 700 series and compared them together as well.

8541 Tactical - Budget Precision Build

I plan on getting a stock right away, just unsure which one yet and a trigger was on the list as well. I will look at the AACs; what are you selling them for in your shop?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

AAC themselves say to avoid the QD cans ... namely the 7.62 SD ... it's not designed with precision guns in mind, although it is quiet. They claim the baffle stack will open up groups, and that seems to be the consensus on a myriad of platforms, including personal experience with an AR10. They stand by the Cyclone as their "precision" suppressor.

Other options would be the Shark Suppressor which is suitable for .300 Win Mag on down, made out of titanium, and is pretty impressive on suppression and group effect, and the 30P-1 which is widely liked by many other precision guys. I have experience with the Shark, but not the 30P-1.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Thanks; the 700 is a 20" with a 1:10 and threaded already which is why I went with it. I figured that I would be able to spin some heavier bullets and get good stability. I read this article which looked at the 700 series and compared them together as well.

The 700 Tactical works well, but I don't really like it as a 1000 yard gun. There's "works" and then there's "works well" ... a 20" barrel "works" but the 24+" barrel "works well". The slight difference in velocity (150 FPS) makes a big difference at the 1000 yard line mainly because .308 is struggling to stay sonic at 1000 yards. In the Texas weather (read: hot), it shouldn't be too big of a deal, but on a cold day (under 60 degs.) you are going to be pushing them hard to get consistent results at 1000.

Top Bottom