• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larry P243

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Leon near Eastland,Tx.
    I have an old 700 rem chambered in 7mm express , it shoots great but it is all factory. I am going to convert it to 280 Ackley, add a thumb-hole stock and a new trigger. I have several undecided issues that I would appreciate help on
    1. re-chamber or re-barrel ?
    2. McMillan or H.S.Precision for the stock?
    3. Which gunsmith to use? I would like to pick a gunsmith with-in a 2 to 3 hr. drive of Eastland,TX.
    4. any suggestions on what barrel to use if i re-barrel it?

I know that there is a lot more to consider, but this should give me a good start, with 2 more weeks to hunt I am not in a real big hurry but will probably start this project in early spring
    Military Camp

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    I have a couple AI rifles now and was considering building a .280 also. I have a Mauser in .280 and I believe I'm going to just rechamber it. That way it's something I can do and save money. Very interested in your progress. Where abouts are you?

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have a couple AI rifles now and was considering building a .280 also. I have a Mauser in .280 and I believe I'm going to just rechamber it. That way it's something I can do and save money. Very interested in your progress. Where abouts are you?

Just remember for proper head spacing the barrel needs to be set back some when converting to the AI version.

95yukon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    mark bansner high tech stocks! i have one and will never buy mc millan or h-s again. and i like those too also. its set on a model 70 22-250 ackley improved with a pac nor barrel. love the stock all are pillar bedded instead of full aluminum bedding which we all can cause trouble sometimes

Last edited:

95yukon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    +1 on hill country too! matt is a real good guy over there and will take his time and talk to you about whatever questions you may have!

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    An AI can be made with a finishing reamer and requires no barrel setback. Just make sure that your go/nogo gauges match your dies (35 Whelen AI... RCBS dies don't match Clymer go/nogo... Clymer is .040 longer). IMO, unless your barrel is worn/shot out, start with the factory barrel re-reamed and properly headspaced.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    A true Ackley Improved will need to be set back or case head separations will occur. The improved chamber should be tight on a preformed piece of brass.

Larry P243

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Leon near Eastland,Tx.
    Why don't you try building it yourself? That's the fun of building a rifle. That way you can take pride in what you built.
    I know how to shoot and reload, but do not know how to build a rifle, I think I could bed the stock , replace the trigger, but not the barrel reaming or even installing a new barrel would be more than I wish to tackle.

Top Bottom