• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Found this on another site. What ammo are you going to use? Will this be a hunting rifle? Milsurp ammo is 147 to 150 grain. Also there is a 1:11 twist as well.
    1:8 For bullets heavier than 220gr.
    1:10 For bullets up to 220 gr.
    1:12 For bullets up to 170 gr.
    1:14 For bullets up to 168 gr.
    1:15 For bullets up to 150 gr.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Guns International

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Found this on another site. What ammo are you going to use? Will this be a hunting rifle? Milsurp ammo is 147 to 150 grain. Also there is a 1:11 twist as well.
    1:8 For bullets heavier than 220gr.
    1:10 For bullets up to 220 gr.
    1:12 For bullets up to 170 gr.
    1:14 For bullets up to 168 gr.
    1:15 For bullets up to 150 gr.

It'll be a hunting/range gun. Honestly its just a build project for me since I finished my motorcycle. I've always hunted but if I have a choice I prefer archery in the hunt, and I like going to the range, so I will end up using the gun for both. If I am hunting I will use hunting ammo, something like 168gr Hornady or Federal Premium ammo. At the range it would depend if I am just shooting for fun (milsurp 147gr).

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I can see you saying you aren't as good as a $500 barrel, to be honest most people aren't. But you do want to try and get the best you can, as your skills will improve to the point where you will wish you had spent that little bit extra. Plus, if you go cheap on the barrel, how do you know your groups are as tight as they should be? Hard to then narrow down shooter error or bad equipment. Check out criterion for $300, probably the best you can buy for that price.

Last edited:

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    I can see you saying you aren't as good as a $500 barrel, to be honest most people aren't. But you do want to try and get the best you can, as your skills will improve to the point where you will wish you had spent that little bit extra. Plus, if you go cheap on the barrel, how do you know your groups are as tight as they should be? Hard to then narrow down shooter error or bad equipment. Check out criterion for $300, probably the best you can buy for that price.

Good point. So if I use a criterion barrel would the rainier arms bcg be compatible with it. Also, if anyone else who reads this and has a criterion barrel could you chime in on what BCG you are using. Thanks.

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    When it comes to BCG's what is good and what is not. IE coating, bolt material, carrier material, firing pin material, etc. Brands and whatnot. Also whats the deal with mass in a BCG is more better or is less?

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    honestly, to save a bit of headache I'd get the jp enterpise bolt/barrel combo. spend the money on the barrel, you won't regret it. For some more ideas, sign up over here and check some of the threads, should answer everything:

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum...es/6252642-308-ar10-build-info-picture-thread

I understand the JP enterprises barrel comes with the custom headspaced bolt but does it also have the carrier. I fell like if they are going to include the bolt they may as well include the carrier, or at least an option to buy the carrier with the barrel/bolt combo.

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    You can buy a jp carrier without bolt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    I'm aware, but the bolt and barrel combo is $599 and the carrier is $270. I think its ridiculous they wouldn't offer it with the bolt and barrel a little discounted.
    I feel like getting a criterion barrel and an aero precision NiB BCG will do me fine. Plus it is a whole lot cheaper of a combo.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    When Ibwas going to build a LR308, I was going to drop the coin on a Krieger barrel.

But everyone started recommending the DPMS SASS barrels. $200 barrel that shoots damn well for the price.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

Hogger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2017
    down south
    This with MK319 military ammo at 100yds and a $250 barrel. Until you get to a true match grade barrel like Krieger, Bartlein, Broughton, Lilja, Hart there wont be a lot of difference in the better production grade barrels.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
      IMG_0185.JPG
      547.7 KB · Views: 242

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    This with MK319 military ammo at 100yds and a $250 barrel. Until you get to a true match grade barrel like Krieger, Bartlein, Broughton, Lilja, Hart there wont be a lot of difference in the better production grade barrels.
    I hope it will do better with better ammo. I have factory guns that will beat that.

My DPMS AR10 is easily sub MOA with 5 shots @ 100 yards with the factory 16" barrel.

While I agree that a better barrel generally helps, it isn't always a guarantee or worth the expense.

Hogger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2017
    down south
    I hope it will do better with better ammo. I have factory guns that will beat that.

My DPMS AR10 is easily sub MOA with 5 shots @ 100 yards with the factory 16" barrel.

While I agree that a better barrel generally helps, it isn't always a guarantee or worth the expense.
    That isn't a cherry picked group, that is the only group since we were testing military ammo not the barrels. DPMS barrels were made by Montana barrels who is now X-Caliber since DPMS moved to Alabama.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx

Truly dat

Top Bottom