• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    In the spirited words of Jonny Lieberman, Hi there!

I am new to the forum and the whole building an AR thing, I've done plenty of reading over the past couple of months so I think I know what I need to to get by, but time will tell.

I am going to post the parts I plan to use to build, any input/advice and thoughts would be nice since I am new to this (next post). The list is not set in stone, I am always looking around to see if there is a better option.

I will say there is no use in trying to move me away from an AR10/LR308, that is the one thing I am dead set on.

I will start building this summer (2017) once I get the time and money to do so.

And to answer your question, I am building the gun as a weekend warrior/range gun/hunting rifle and because I am bored and want something to build, seeing as I have finished rebuilding my 1971 Honda motorcycle (CB450). Also I just like how the AR looks.

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Alright, sorry for the delay but this is my current buildlist, I'm listing major parts, not the nuisances.
    -Upper+Lower: One of these three, leaning towards the ATX set.
    JTAC set
    ATXArmory set
    Mega set
    -Upper Parts:
    CMMG 18" barrel and Mk3 BCG
    Fortis Switch 15" rail (MLOK)
    Precision Armament M4-72 break
    -Lower Parts:
    MOE Rifle Stock (Im open to other options so long as they arent PRS priced)
    Timney Targa 2 stage trigger
    Magpul pistol grip

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Also, for those who read through the list, I like the CMMG barrel, but I'd like an 20" barrel, which CMMG does not seem to make. Suggestions?

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    CMMG makes a 18" rifle gassed barrel. You won't loose much using it. This is the barrel I used in my build.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    From my experience go look at the psa rifle. It is easier to modify than to build and work out the bugs. The PSA rifle are sub 800's now complete.

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    CMMG makes a 18" rifle gassed barrel. You won't loose much using it. This is the barrel I used in my build.

I am currently planning to use the CMMG 18" barrel. I just like the idea of having a 20", though I'll probably stick with the 18" CMMG for mobility and weight and whatnot.

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    From my experience go look at the psa rifle. It is easier to modify than to build and work out the bugs. The PSA rifle are sub 800's now complete.

I am not saying PSA does not make good stuff, but I wasn't planning on using any of their stuff, so it would be an unnecessary for me to get one in the first place. But the biggest thing is that I want the actual build experience, not build and modify.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I did the same. I built off of a psa upper/lower. Out of your list I would use mega. The billet upper and lower with have the least play imo. Also look into a adjustable gas block. Syrac and Odin make easily adjustable ones.

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    I did the same. I built off of a psa upper/lower. Out of your list I would use mega. The billet upper and lower with have the least play imo. Also look into a adjustable gas block. Syrac and Odin make easily adjustable ones.

All of the receivers I put on there are billet, I was leaning towards the ATX Armory one because they're a Texas company. I was looking into the superlative arms adjustable gas block.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    All of the receivers I put on there are billet, I was leaning towards the ATX Armory one because they're a Texas company. I was looking into the superlative arms adjustable gas block.

I would go with ATX Armory. Sa t s the man who just recently purchased a seekins matching upper and lower. It was on sale so I couldn't pass it up

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    I would go with ATX Armory. Sa t s the man who just recently purchased a seekins matching upper and lower. It was on sale so I couldn't pass it up

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Hey, I don't blame you, I looked at their stuff, it's nice. Thanks for the input, from everything I have read so long as I go with a billet upper and lower combo I should be fine, and I am always happy to be supporting Texas companies.

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Hey, so when it comes to barrels I have a few questions, being new to this. What is the difference in the barrel profiles, i.e. a heavy profile vs a bull profile and whatever else there is?

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Bull barrel is heavy. Depends on what you want to build. My rifle without mag is about 12.5lbs. That is including scope. If you are looking to shed weight look into g2 lowers and regular or fluted barrel. With the barrel you have your length, weight and twist. Standard twist is 1:10.

Last edited:

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Bull barrel is heavy. Depends on what you want to build. My rifle without mag is about 12.5lbs. That is including scope. If you are looking to shed weight look into g2 lowers and regular or fluted barrel. With the barrel you have your length, weight and twist. Standard twist is 1:10.

Will there be any difference besides weight in a heavy taper vs a 'tatical' tapered barrel. Im pretty set on the receiver combo I'm looking at, but I am open to looking at other barrels. I like the 18" CMMG barrel for the price ($189), but if there is a better barrel for under $300 I'd be willing to spend the money.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    that price will limit you. up your price by about $150 to get excellent quality. but for the price you ask: criterion. check out jp rifles as well as their barrels include a bolt that is headspaced to the barrel you purchase.

GonzoLonzo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    Hey Bud, check out ar15performance.com They have 18" and 20" .308 barrels with a 5R 1:11" twist. They are 4150 CMV and Melonite treated. I have one of their barrels on a 6.8 and it is more accurate than me.

jkattchee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    that price will limit you. up your price by about $150 to get excellent quality. but for the price you ask: criterion. check out jp rifles as well as their barrels include a bolt that is headspaced to the barrel you purchase.
    I should mention that I am in no way as accurate as a $500 barrel. One reason I'm ok with not going all out on a barrel, I'd rather spend the extra $$$ on ammunition and get good with the gun I build rather than build a gun and have no money left over to shoot it. That being said, I can practice with my dad's M4 if I don't want to break the bank on ammo. And if I do ever get to the point of outshooting the barrels accuracy I would be OK at that point with dropping >$500 on a barrel. What about Aero Precisions 18" SS barrel, its $300.

Top Bottom