• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Leveling the yard after the pour. I will do a Bull rock and crushed Granite surround in front of slabs from the ends of the house and sweep around the larger slab. Half circle basically. Then build a fire pit somewhere.
    36BFE1ED-28D6-4D9C-B287-248BF61E3BCC.jpeg
    D565DA5F-B0F4-456B-9BDC-6A7429214C6E.jpeg

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    They are in the market, they cannot build fast enough to satisfy the demand. In CenTex (austin area mostly) 500 people a DAY are moving here. You think they are putting up 250 houses a day in Austin area? Nope. They are building as fast as they can. Hell in Jarrell which is 45 miles north of the Austin city limits They are building 10 THOUSAND houses.

That's why the price of lumber is so high.

There is a lot of building going on in certain areas but when I look at the national statistics on starts, completions, and permits, I come away with the conclusion that there is a lot more to come. Lumber demand is National.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    There is a lot of building going on in certain areas but when I look at the national statistics on starts, completions, and permits, I come away with the conclusion that there is a lot more to come. Lumber demand is National.

All demand for most production goods are national. We call it produce price index. Prices are up across the board.

Q1 was 6.5 percent Q2 was 8.6 percent. That is unprecedented rise in cost of production materials

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Where were you in april/may 2020? Almost 100% of manufacturing and raw materials suppliers were offline for almost 60 days. Do you understand how much that damages the logistics of the supply chain or are you just being obtuse on purpose.

In the industry I work in EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. is backlogged at least 30 days.

I imagine building a house is even worse as some of those items take much longer to produce.

View attachment 250842
    Your other post implied that a huge boom in the surrounding Austin market is why prices are up.

That's simply not true and is irrelevant.

That isn't a boom. It's been the same for 20 years. The boom is just moving toward Jarrell because everwhere else is full.

There are many factors at play here. The Austin market alone isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Supply and demand? Sure, it's a piece of the puzzle. But really the supply is back.

Most of the puzzle is just pure greed. When "what should we charge" becomes "what can we charge" prices are going to skyrocket.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Gonna build a patio using treated lumber but want to paint the structure. If you've painted treated lumber how long did you let it dry out before doing so?

Another way to go is an engineered wood/plastic decking material called Trex. We built a house 13 years ago with a wrap around porch and opted for Trex instead of pressure treated pine. 13 years later, no paint, no stain, no water sealer, and it still looks like just like it did then. I also used it on my pier that is completely exposed to the weather with no roof. 6 years later it still looks just like it did.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Your other post implied that a huge boom in the surrounding Austin market is why prices are up.

That's simply not true and is irrelevant.

That isn't a boom. It's been the same for 20 years. The boom is just moving toward Jarrell because everwhere else is full.

There are many factors at play here. The Austin market alone isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Supply and demand? Sure, it's a piece of the puzzle. But really the supply is back.

Most of the puzzle is just pure greed. When "what should we charge" becomes "what can we charge" prices are going to skyrocket.

I assume you trust Foxnews enough to know I'm not just blowing shit out of my ass. I literally look at economic data every week for fun, it's what I nerd out on. It's not just Austin, Austin just happens to be the market I exist in.

Lonesome Dove

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Another way to go is an engineered wood/plastic decking material called Trex. We built a house 13 years ago with a wrap around porch and opted for Trex instead of pressure treated pine. 13 years later, no paint, no stain, no water sealer, and it still looks like just like it did then. I also used it on my pier that is completely exposed to the weather with no roof. 6 years later it still looks just like it did.

I used to install Trex and others. Not a fan at all.

Lonesome Dove

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    What did you dislike about it? I'm just curious as I have no building knowledge whatsoever

The screw holes bulge and as it is it looks like fake wood. I’m a Woodsmith so things like that really bother me. And I had some of the product with big air hole/spockets you could see after a cut. That’s not good. My project isn’t a deck but an overhead structure that will get a corrugated tin roof.

Last edited:

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The screw holes bulge and as it is it looks like fake wood. I’m a Woodsmith so things like that really bother me. And I had some of the product with big air hole/spockets you could see after a cut. That’s not good. My project isn’t a deck but an overhead structure that will get a corrugated tin roof.

You can always use the channel clips with hidden screws. You don't have to face screw.

Personally, I like the exotic hardwoods but they burn up bits, blades, and patience reel quick. It sure looks nice laying some Tigerwood, Massaranduba, or IPE. In high traffic areas or for people that don't have the will to recondition, I always suggest Trex or similar . I installed it on my entre way just for the abuse, I couldn't deal with seeing my dogs destroy the beauty of the exotics.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I saw on a news report on TV that in the last 12 months the price of lumber has increased "... over 250%" The graphic on the screen stated 262%. Bought two 2"x4"x 8' pressure treated sticks yesterday final cost was $18.99 - for 2 fuckin' 2x4's.

I'm working a house and a 12'x20' building in the back yard installing hardie fascia/soffit/siding thankfully the huge price increase has hit only lumber/wood products. The building in the back yard had 3/4" T-111 siding, which I had to remove. Then I replaced it with 1/2" sheathing. The way this building is built the bottom is prone to holding moisture and rotting so I ripped sheets of 1/2" pressure treated ply to address that issue. The standard 4'x8'x1/2" sheathing was $41.00 per sheet. The pressure treated panel rang the bell at $49.00 per.
    It is absolutely crazy

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Yep OSB has gotten ridiculous. I've noticed that even Hardie products have gone up as well, not quite as much as lumber.

About 18 months ago, before the Communist Chinese Wuhan BioLab Bat Virus was unleashed on us, you could buy all the OSB you wanted for around $7.00 a sheet.

I was in Home Depot last week and OSB was $40.00 a sheet!!!

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    I was in need of a few 4x4x8's recently. Couldn't find any in stock anywhere locally. So the old adage "2 - 2x4's glued and screwed are stronger than 1 - 4x4" worked for me. My simple lean-to framing off my storage shed still cost just north of 3 bills. Rediculous.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    About 18 months ago, before the Communist Chinese Wuhan BioLab Bat Virus was unleashed on us, you could buy all the OSB you wanted for around $7.00 a sheet.

I was in Home Depot last week and OSB was $40.00 a sheet!!!

It's 41.00 as of 3:00. I'm a contractor and I can literally watch it going up from day to day at times, it's crazy. I'm in there sometimes 3x's a day and I'm waiting see prices increase in between visits.

I can almost get 1/2" Russian UV Birch for how much they're wanting for OSB.

My little sister is struggling with trying to build a her house. On one hand the interests rates are low, but on the other the lumber packages are insane right now. Every bit and more she saves on the rate is swallowed with lumber prices.

Top Bottom