• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Ok, so I am a mechanic by trade and after twenty years of shootin' and cleaning guns, I think I finally have what it takes to build one. The 1911 platform seems like a good place to start. Since I don't have a good manual, I will probably begin there. I'd like to hear about ones you might know of, or own. Also, is it even worth building them ? From both a cost and performance sides ? If it's not worth anything but bragging rights I might build myself a new AR instead.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ok, so I am a mechanic by trade and after twenty years of shootin' and cleaning guns, I think I finally have what it takes to build one. The 1911 platform seems like a good place to start. Since I don't have a good manual, I will probably begin there. I'd like to hear about ones you might know of, or own. Also, is it even worth building them ? From both a cost and performance sides ? If it's not worth anything but bragging rights I might build myself a new AR instead.

Not by a long shot.

You can build a functional 1911 for less than you can buy if you have the 'smith skills to get the parts to fit. Unfortunately with cheap 1911 parts you also get cheap fit...ie, out of spec parts. And out of spec parts will net you a gun that runs terrible and needs more massaging to get right.

I've built an Oacp. It was a fun project for sure. But what I spent on parts wasn't cheaper than buying a full gun.

I haven't built an AR but I think it'd be a way to go.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If I were to do that I think for the first time I'd buy a kit. Like maybe one from Fusion Firearms. Kits go for around $700, but then you'll need finishing and a few after build items.

AR's are pretty easy, with the most difficult part being the barrel fitting which, to do a proper job on, you need a jig and some special tools. But unlike a 1911, tolerances and fit on AR's for the most part are very loose. I enjoyed shopping the components and putting my ar together

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    I built two. I spent more time waiting for parts than anything else. I did not purchase expensive parts, but really wound up with a couple of tight pistols. They are identical except for the triggers. One of them shoots like a laser, the other like a shotgun.
    Unless it's a difference in barrels, I can't tell you what makes them shoot differently.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I built up a receiver/frame for a Ciener conversion kit.
    That part is pretty simple, as the only fitting was for the grip safety.
    The slide fit the receiver with no fitting required.
    The trigger is about average. Get the Wilson matched set and solve that.
    Barrel fitting is where skill and tools are required, but that isn't rocket science.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Building a 1911 is far more complicated a task than most people realize. I would highly recommend investing the money in the Wilson Combat 1911 build dvd's. They walk you through pretty much everything and go into fine detail on contact surface angles of vital components and all sorts of other little things most people never think about. One thing is for sure, due to the design of the 1911 and it not being conducive to mass production, they are very finicky and can take a lot of work to get setup right and functioning reliably and consistently. Once you get them setup, they're great, the trick is just getting there.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    1911 build

I built two. I spent more time waiting for parts than anything else. I did not purchase expensive parts, but really wound up with a couple of tight pistols. They are identical except for the triggers. One of them shoots like a laser, the other like a shotgun.
    Unless it's a difference in barrels, I can't tell you what makes them shoot differently.
    Got them both shooting good now. Took it to my gunsmith friend.
    don't know what he did, not sure he does, but both are shooting equally well now.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Not by a long shot.

You can build a functional 1911 for less than you can buy if you have the 'smith skills to get the parts to fit. Unfortunately with cheap 1911 parts you also get cheap fit...ie, out of spec parts. And out of spec parts will net you a gun that runs terrible and needs more massaging to get right.

I've built an Oacp. It was a fun project for sure. But what I spent on parts wasn't cheaper than buying a full gun.

I haven't built an AR but I think it'd be a way to go.

I haven't built (from scratch) a 1911 but this assessment seems right on.
    I think if you want to gain the experience and pride then go ahead but don't expect any savings. I know just upgrading my Colt 1911 the parts always make me think twice about what I am doing from the price stand point.

The AR is a little different but the main reason I build is to get exactly the look and configuration I want. If using high quality parts then it can get pricey too but not out of hand like a 1911. Still a stock AR can be pretty cheap and there are some pretty good deals out there.

Top Bottom