Built this rifle and now Not sure about it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    As it says, I had this rifle blank for years and never had time to mess with it though I had a plan. Plan Failed and I wound up with a Savage 10 and it was fugly. Well I had a new plan. Get a heavy barrel, large bolt knob, new barrel lug and work over that rifle blank. Not being qualified I had to send it out for Inletting the action and got it back in a very rough shaped Target style with vents. Not happy with those! I went to town cutting,rasping,routering,filing,sanding,sanding and more sanding, then back to all the above and more sanding. Then the finish,Devcon bedding and some pillars. Tada! here it is. I really have no use for it now. It's an 243 Ackley 1 in 9.25" heavy barrel varmint rig and I have nowhere to shoot varmints. What to do?
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• 10-1-18.jpg
      10-1-18.jpg
      246.4 KB · Views: 328
    • 10-1-18-1.jpg
      10-1-18-1.jpg
      245.8 KB · Views: 319
    • 10-1-18-3.jpg
      10-1-18-3.jpg
      286.1 KB · Views: 320
    • 10-1-18-6.jpg
      10-1-18-6.jpg
      196.5 KB · Views: 338

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Find a place to shoot varmints.

Or use it for long range target shooting. .243 is great for it, including the Ackley variant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Find a place to shoot varmints.

Or use it for long range target shooting. .243 is great for it, including the Ackley variant.

I suspect it was in jest. Anybody doing that, has a high probability of knowing what they're doing.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    All right Lonesome Dove. More details. Who made the barrel, who did the work on it, trigger, which Vortex scope etc. F'king cock tease.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Scope looks like a Diamondback.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    All right Lonesome Dove. More details. Who made the barrel, who did the work on it, trigger, which Vortex scope etc. F'king cock tease.

The barrel is a Savage take off I don't know about the brake. I got it off Long Range Hunting forum. Stock trigger I've only shot 10 rounds through it and decided not to change it yet.. Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 wide Vplex, I didn't have a barrel vise so a smith at a local shooting range put the barrel and lug on the used action. The stock was inletted by Richards microfit and I did all else on the stock. I thought I needed a long range shooter but it I really don't. I guess it looks like a lame first post and my intention was to see if someone would interested in a trade since I can't list on the sell page for some reason.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The barrel is a Savage take off I don't know about the brake. I got it off Long Range Hunting forum. Stock trigger I've only shot 10 rounds through it and decided not to change it yet.. Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 wide Vplex, I didn't have a barrel vise so a smith at a local shooting range put the barrel and lug on the used action. The stock was inletted by Richards microfit and I did all else on the stock. I thought I needed a long range shooter but it I really don't. I guess it looks like a lame first post and my intention was to see if someone would interested in a trade since I can't list on the sell page for some reason.
    Well, it takes 25 posts to be able to put stuff up for sale. Generally.
    I'd say you've generated some interest.

Keep posting. Please.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Well, it takes 25 posts to be able to put stuff up for sale. Generally.
    I'd say you've generated some interest.

Keep posting. Please.

I'm trying to help.....still butt ugly!!!

Seriously, awesome job, and I know and appreciate the work involved, but it's just not my cup of tea.

It's not you, it's me, LOL. IDK, the fiddleback that has everybody else drooling , is really my major turn off.

Different strokes, my friend. That wood belongs on a fiddle or a Kentucky long rifle.

Top Bottom