Bulk ammo question?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by yovengo69, Dec 26, 2016.

1. yovengo69

yovengo69 New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    So I decided to go with the Aero Precision AC 15 carbine. I'm planning on going to the shooting range this week but haven't purchased any ammo yet .. lol. I want to buy bulk ammo because I think it comes to be more affordable rather than just buying 20rd boxes. I've looked online mainly at academy and cabela's, and at cabela's they have PMC 300 rounds for $105 I believe. I don't know much about ammo but sounds like a good deal but is the quality some what goood?

If anyone has any recommendations to where to buy ammo or what kind to get.. I'd appreciate it. Also mainly using the rifle for target shooting. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

2. Selway Armory & SG Ammo are places I normally buy from online.

3. yovengo69

yovengo69 New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    any specific brands you'd recommend?

4. rl96ss

rl96ss Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Seguin
    Wolf Gold is the best deal going for range ammo. SGAMMO and Sportsman Guide are where I buy the majority of My bulk ammo.

5. shortround

shortround TGT Addict

Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Just because you have a new rifle is no reason to spend a whole lot of money on bulk ammo that might not deliver the best accuracy your rifle is capable of.

Since you have a "precision" carbine, you can't feed it cheap fodder either, and expect sub-MOA accuracy.

First, determine the twist rate of your barrel. That will inform you as to the optimal bullet weight for that barrel.

Next, buy some 20-round boxes to find which works best in your rifle.

Then, start looking for bulk purchases of that ammo, or better yet, learn to load your own!

Be well & Happy New Year!

6. yovengo69

yovengo69 New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Thanks!

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I agree with getting a few boxes to try.

Most standard 55gr or 62gr bullets should be fine.

I would even check steel cased ammo. If it works fine in your rifle then load up on it (unless you plan on saving the brass for reloading).

8. ktmguy

ktmguy New Member

Nov 29, 2016
    San Antonio
    Sgammo and targetsportsusa are my go to's for ammo. Targetsportsusa offers free shipping on all bulk ammo purchases. For 223/5.56 ammo you have tons of good options and that does make it kind of overwhelming. For your intended purpose, which sounds like mainly target shooting/ plinking, I'd suggest almost any 55 grain fmj. For specific brands wolf gold, pmc, federal, prvi partisan aka ppu, fiocchi and Winchester are all good choices. Expect to pay approximately 30-40 cents per round for target/plinking ammo. Expect to pay more for match ammo if you are shooting for tiny groups instead of just shooting to improve your fundementals.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  9. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Since when is a basic AR15 considered a precision carbine? LOL
    And even with match grade ammunition, achieving sub-MOA accuracy is gonna be pure luck.

10. Mike_from_Texas

Mike_from_Texas Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I don't think he realized Aero Precision is the manufacturer, not that it meant it is a precision rifle.