• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I am looking for a good source in bulk packaged/priced lead and jacketed bullets in:

32 Auto
    9mm
    .40 SW
    .45 ACP

I live in Comfort, so it really needs to be worth the drive. Currently I buy bullets at Bass Pro (VERY retail, but good for experimenting) and Gibson's in Kerrville (better prices and people). I would like to find a place that has high quantity bullets in stock without paying $20 per 100 for say .45 ACP.......

Got any leads?
    Guns International

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Yeah, I know about them and will probably order from them in the future, just trying to find something to do this Saturday.....

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I would call Nagles Gunshop in SA. They seem to have everything, if they can find it. They are located on San Pedro Ave. It's worth a call before you go.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Rottweiler - my home ISP went bankrupt, can't check the account on file with TGT........

I did end up buying 500 lasercast .45 bullets from Sportsman's Warehouse on 1604. Cool store, AWESEOME prices on primers, but the bullets were a little on the high side. No matter, wanted to try them out - got all 500 loaded up, will test fire them tomorrow.

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    The email just said that I cast lotsa boolits for 9,40,45 and a few other calibers. Figured we could work out a better deal than BPS, Cabelas or SW. and that I live between Hunt and Mt. Home. If you're registered on www.thefiringline.com , PM me there with some contact info. I'm Rottweiler there too.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I couldn't figure out the PM thing on this board, but I did leave you a message on your profile.

You mentioned .40 - is it a no-no to shoot cast bullets through a polygonal barrel?

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    I couldn't get the PM thing to work either, that's why I said about the firing line. I can work their PM thing.

Polygonal barrel as in a glock? I don't have a glock so I can't say about them. I'm sure it's been done though, My SIG 229 loves them.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Well, by chance I found a really good source for cast bullets in Boerne. He uses a commercial bullet lead that is around 13-15 on the hardness scale. I bought 500 124g 9mm round nose and 500 230g .45 round nose - loaded up a few hundred of the 9mm and ran them through my 9mm AR-15 upper. They seem to work really well and I will be buying many more thousands of bullets from him.

Guy's name is Tony Davis, company is "Brimstone Bullet Company" 830-377-8229

Now I just need to find a good local source for jacketed bullets......

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sharky, the whole reason it's not good to shoot lead bullets through polygonal barrels is due to the increased lead buildup in the barrel. Apparently the way polygonal rifling is, their is no real "extra" room since it does not have lands and grooves like a traditionally rifled barrel. Because of that, a little extra lead build up will lead to significantly higher muzzle pressures, which needless to say can be dangerous. I've heard some people get away with doing it by just constantly cleaning their guns at very low round count intervals. Depending on what guns they'd be for, you might consider getting an aftermarket barrel to do away with the polygonal rifling and eliminate the issue to begin with.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Yeah, figured that out from searching "teh google" on the subject........next question is where is a source for a reasonable priced aftermarket HK USP barrel with traditional rifling. I sure would like to be able to shoot all day on the cheap and then switch back to the HK barrel for "serious" work.

Top Bottom