• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    I have two kids in school and was thinking about getting them some sort of plate or insert that can be placed in their back packs for some sort of safety in a tragic event like the one that happened in Florida. I know virtually nothing about armor. I have seen some inserts that are level III but those only stop handgun bullets. Is something that can stop a 5.56 going to be way to heavy and/or expensive? Any other suggestions?
    DK Firearms

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    how many kids have them on there back and not just dragging them. What are the odds the kid will have it with him in time of need.

I think its a great way to get rich selling them after a school shooting. I think the odds of a kid being shot at unless you live in a war zone is so small that its plain silly.

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    how many kids have them on there back and not just dragging them. What are the odds the kid will have it with him in time of need.

I think its a great way to get rich selling them after a school shooting. I think the odds of a kid being shot at unless you live in a war zone is so small that its plain silly.

I agree, but this is my thinking: At least one of my kids always has his backpack with him or on his chair at school (the other I am not sure). If i can spend a couple hundred bucks for a small insurance policy that may help my kids survive a tragedy i would be dumb not to look in to it. When my kids are moving around school they have their backpack on and if they are running from fire, a shot center mass from behind would be right where this plate would be. If I can also teach my kids to hide behind the backpack in an emergency at least they would have some sort of chance at survival because there is no security at school. It has to be better than doing nothing.

I also carry a back pack at school and most places i go, i might as well look at getting one for me. 8lbs is not too bad for my 220lbs...

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    If you think its a good investment have at it. It is a great Idea like buying a lotto ticket or even a gun for protection the chance of ever needing it are so small but if it happens to be the day you need it then its way better to have it than not.

I also have no kids so am biased

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I have two kids in school and was thinking about getting them some sort of plate or insert that can be placed in their back packs for some sort of safety in a tragic event like the one that happened in Florida. I know virtually nothing about armor. I have seen some inserts that are level III but those only stop handgun bullets. Is something that can stop a 5.56 going to be way to heavy and/or expensive? Any other suggestions?
    Level 3 plates will stop Pretty much all rifle rounds you're likely to encounter except the M2 AP and 50 cal stuff.

The UHMWPE level 3 weighs about 3 lbs. That's the plastic like stuff. AR 500 is about 8 lbs.

The UHMWPE isn't as inexpensive as AR500 as you might guess such a high tech milk jug that can stop a rifle is.

As for 556 being harder to stop, it's the velocity at closer distances that CAN make it an issue.

jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    My $0.02; kids are almost always going to have books, or at least A book, in their backpack. I say put a soft armor insert in their pack along with their books and it might suffice, while saving lbs.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Level 3 plates will stop Pretty much all rifle rounds you're likely to encounter except the M2 AP and 50 cal stuff.

The UHMWPE level 3 weighs about 3 lbs. That's the plastic like stuff. AR 500 is about 8 lbs.

The UHMWPE isn't as inexpensive as AR500 as you might guess such a high tech milk jug that can stop a rifle is.

As for 556 being harder to stop, it's the velocity at closer distances that CAN make it an issue.

UHMW?? Wow, that must be really thick.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    UHMW?? Wow, that must be really thick.
    UHMWPE 10 x 12 level 3 is a littld less than an inch and a half thick. Compared to AR500 level 3 which is about a half inch or less depending on coating.

AR 500 is about 70 bucks +/- depending on sale and manufacturers.
    The UHMWPE runs 375 +/- depending on sales etc. Mostly plus.

Check out the chopping block YouTube channel. He tests cutting boards and melted milk jugs as body armor. You might be surprised at what they will stop for very little money. There are probably a dozen or more other channels that do the same testing.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    UHMWPE 10 x 12 level 3 is a littld less than an inch and a half thick. Compared to AR500 level 3 which is about a half inch or less depending on coating.

AR 500 is about 70 bucks +/- depending on sale and manufacturers.
    The UHMWPE runs 375 +/- depending on sales etc. Mostly plus.

Check out the chopping block YouTube channel. He tests cutting boards and melted milk jugs as body armor. You might be surprised at what they will stop for very little money. There are probably a dozen or more other channels that do the same testing.

I have used UHMW in some industrial applications. Thus my comment.

It is light, but at 1.5" thick that is pretty cumbersome.

A 12" square by 1.5" thick sheet costs $67.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Home School

Top Bottom