• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Supercollider was pretty much done when I applied for work there.
    Rode the train in Germany (work related trip), milk run between small towns. Did take the 'bullet' train but it was regulated slow due the major wreck they had. Took the DART to visit buddy at VA hosp., bunch of muggers on board and severely crowded on rush-hour trip back. Some guy did give me a seat that I promptly gave to a pregnant lady. Guy I was with wanted to carry but VA doesn't allow it. Oh, yea, pot smokers on board downtown that just waiting for you to object so they can bust you one. Yea, I've ridden NYC subways, long time ago but not now. Didn't ride buses in Soul but subway and busses the only way for most to get around and out to where they live.
    Not the Autobahn but the chunnel train where you drive on and get transported.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I wish they'd connect Texarkana with someplace civilized.:rolleyes:

Glenn B,

Long ago when I was a single guy, the BEST thing about Texarkana was WILLIAM H BUCHANAN SCHOOL of NURSING, as the RN Students were generally YOUNG, PRETTY, & ALWAYS "looking to party".
    (Imo, you are 100% correct: NOT much to do in Texarkana.)

yours, satx

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    TXDOT subcontracts all work. I remember the tram at DFW that didn't work most of the time.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    TXDot lets contracts; the lowest bid prime contractor then subcontracts.
    Lowest bid prime contractor then sucks in the lowest bidder to do the work for max profits.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    All these gov contracts require 33% of the money to go to historically underutilized, woman owned, minority, etc businesses.

The US DOT has a traveling road show to get women business owners to bid, then subcontract things to someone who knows how.

A sales guy friend of mine sold a $5 million project to the City of Seattle. The City asked that he invoice an unrelated woman owned company to get the invoice paid. The City paid the W.o.B. with a nice mark-up.

Friend of mine (gov contracts worker, medical research) always gets in a fix near the end of fiscal year. Need to spend all the year's allocated funds in order to get the same or increase next year. He buys catering services, paper clips, you name it. Stuff unrelated to the mission.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    If the high speed train thang does goes through, as someone suggested, they'd be wise to link up a couple of 'vehicle transporter' coaches to it. That's the way most ferry operations work, crossing the English Channel. 'Day Trippers' (yes, like the Beatles song) to go shopping in France (or vice-versa) drive onto a ferry with their own POV, cross the Channel, do their shopping and then back on to the ferry to go home. No reason the high speed train couldn't operate on the same concept. But who knows(?)....maybe 'self-driving' cars or 'flying cars' will beat out the bullet train!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    All these gov contracts require 33% of the money to go to historically underutilized, woman owned, minority, etc businesses.

The US DOT has a traveling road show to get women business owners to bid, then subcontract things to someone who knows how.

A sales guy friend of mine sold a $5 million project to the City of Seattle. The City asked that he invoice an unrelated woman owned company to get the invoice paid. The City paid the W.o.B. with a nice mark-up.

Friend of mine (gov contracts worker, medical research) always gets in a fix near the end of fiscal year. Need to spend all the year's allocated funds in order to get the same or increase next year. He buys catering services, paper clips, you name it. Stuff unrelated to the mission.
    Yep. Happens all the time.

The other is where the husband founded/runs the business, but on paper his wife is the CEO and only shareholder.

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    This will be a money losing disaster which will be funded by billions of dollars from taxpayers who don't want and won't use the dam thing. It's a money making deal for lots of politicians and scammy contractors and operators.

The US taxpayers pay $1.5 billion a year to subsidize the disaster called Amtrak. There is not a single public rail system anywhere in the US that pays it's own way. All of them are subsidized by taxpayers.

This one will be no different and we are getting screwed by allowing it to move forward.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Saw a TV show about the Alaskan railroad.
    They do the Load Automobiles onto the train thing.
    Heck they even do big RV's and trucks.
    Takes them across long distances then unloads them there.
    Seems like a good deal for them up there.

No reason that couldn't work here.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Saw a TV show about the Alaskan railroad.
    They do the Load Automobiles onto the train thing.
    Heck they even do big RV's and trucks.
    Takes them across long distances then unloads them there.
    Seems like a good deal for them up there.

No reason that couldn't work here.
    Maybe if your going from Houston to Amarillo. But it takes hours to load the vehicles. It would be faster and easier to drive to Dallas from Houston than go through all that mess.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Top Bottom