• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I’ve never fired a bullpup anything. Is there a perceived increase in recoil and/or concussed air? Referring to non-can guns of any caliber.
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Recoil should be the same given that both guns fit you well and are similar in weight.

The concussive blast will be closer to your face so that will increase. In my experience it's not enough to avoid bullpups in general though.

If you have a particular bullpup in mind members may be able to help with your questions more.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I don't notice anything, but I didn't run a break on the end like I usually do. Wound up using a compensator like this one.

HBI-9MM-FAN-CAGE-FLASH-HIDER-1.jpg

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    AR pistols are no big deal. Don't think a bullpup would be any different.
    Pretty much this. The blast is closer to your face, but the barrel is longer compared to an 10" or 11" ar barrel.

The recoil impulse will be different, typically less pleasant than an AR, but thats due to the operating system more than anything

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well IMO the blast/sound is barely noticeable VS the same length bbl of a M4. That said I came into the M 14 Army and that is LOUD!

Perhaps drifting from the OP question: I think it time the Army get a grip on war fighters. We now have the tech to give the boots on the battlefield a 2 gun world.

1) A bit of engineering and we take the best action ever designed (AR) and make it a bullpup. I have handled and shot the TAVPR and I am here to tell you I want one on the killing fields with me.

2). 1 gun, 2 barrels, SBR and LBR. While I thought the M 16 was a vast improvement vs the M 14 from a maneuverability view, I still felt the M 16 was to long for combat in the jungles or in any forested enviro.

3) SBR does not work well in the desert and in the cities. When you deploy you know where you are going.

4) Each weapon comes with 2 bbls, one short, one long and one is kept in the Arms room. Each bbl has a serial number same as the action, but the bbl has a suffix, either -S or -L

5). Tavor is loved by the IDF I talked to friends there and they loved the M4 but the value over it with the TAVOR is really there. In the TAVOR you have quick-change bbls and L/R use which can be done at the Arms room level or even the user if needed.

Post Script: Shit has hit the fan hard, I grab my issue ALICE Rucksack that I wore fo many many years. It Ready to go. I grab my 1911 USMC Issue M45 built for the USMC by COLT Custom (the one I got was unissued so like new). Then suddenly on the wall I have 3 weapons: AR 10 Sniper Grade, Saint AR 15 and a TAVOR X 95. I look at the window from my perch on hilltop in the Texas Hill Country and I can see for 50 mi and its NOT a desert, I grab my X 95...

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Well IMO the blast/sound is barely noticeable VS the same length bbl of a M4. That said I came into the M 14 Army and that is LOUD!

Perhaps drifting from the OP question: I think it time the Army get a grip on war fighters. We now have the tech to give the boots on the battlefield a 2 gun world.

1) A bit of engineering and we take the best action ever designed (AR) and make it a bullpup. I have handled and shot the TAVPR and I am here to tell you I want one on the killing fields with me.

2). 1 gun, 2 barrels, SBR and LBR. While I thought the M 16 was a vast improvement vs the M 14 from a maneuverability view, I still felt the M 16 was to long for combat in the jungles or in any forested enviro.

3) SBR does not work well in the desert and in the cities. When you deploy you know where you are going.

4) Each weapon comes with 2 bbls, one short, one long and one is kept in the Arms room. Each bbl has a serial number same as the action, but the bbl has a suffix, either -S or -L

5). Tavor is loved by the IDF I talked to friends there and they loved the M4 but the value over it with the TAVOR is really there. In the TAVOR you have quick-change bbls and L/R use which can be done at the Arms room level or even the user if needed.

Post Script: Shit has hit the fan hard, I grab my issue ALICE Rucksack that I wore fo many many years. It Ready to go. I grab my 1911 USMC Issue M45 built for the USMC by COLT Custom (the one I got was unissued so like new). Then suddenly on the wall I have 3 weapons: AR 10 Sniper Grade, Saint AR 15 and a TAVOR X 95. I look at the window from my perch on hilltop in the Texas Hill Country and I can see for 50 mi and its NOT a desert, I grab my X 95...
    I haven’t seen much activity from you. Glad to see you’re ok and still around.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well not sure what it was, but, I could not get on at for years. I would get the notices of posts and try, 99% of it timed out. I tried every browser I had, which I think was about 5 or so. Bought 2 new computers on the years and no change used the wife's computer and no change. IF I got on I could not post a pic and my sessions to post and answer would almost always time out.

AND I had fiber to the house and 300Mb up and down.

So we are over here in Naples FL now and now I can log on now??? Why I could not get on before had no idea why and I am a retired Software Engineer and my wife is a retired Network Engineer. We both tried to make it happen but it would not. Never had an issue other than this site!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Well not sure what it was, but, I could not get on at for years. I would get the notices of posts and try, 99% of it timed out. I tried every browser I had, which I think was about 5 or so. Bought 2 new computers on the years and no change used the wife's computer and no change. IF I got on I could not post a pic and my sessions to post and answer would almost always time out.

AND I had fiber to the house and 300Mb up and down.

So we are over here in Naples FL now and now I can log on now??? Why I could not get on before had no idea why and I am a retired Software Engineer and my wife is a retired Network Engineer. We both tried to make it happen but it would not. Never had an issue other than this site!

Are you retired to Naples, or just visiting? How's the area like?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

If you have QD barrels, you can run into issues with accuracy. It doesn't happen very often, but the systems typically used aren't as solid as a traditional setups.

like 4 MOA beretta ARX's and 10/22 takedowns. It's not particularly common, but it makes the added weight a harder sale.

Having 2 barrels will require 2 optics, and will require twice the amount of time to sight in. You also limit the mounts you can use. There are not that many truly good QD mounts out there. LaRue is good, as is scalarworks. Arms and ADM are... Not that impressive IMHO

You'd actually be loosing flexibility by having a bullpup instead of 2 complete uppers. And in environments with longer range shots, a properly set up AR will be more accurate, have a better trigger, and with the right choice in parts,will weigh quite a bit less.

What group size are you getting with your X95? The one i shot was not impressive in the accuracy department.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The biggest selling point to me with a gun like the Tavor is that you get "full length" rifles in compact sizes. The balance point of the Tavor is nice too - I can one-hand balance a tavor against my shoulder a lot longer than I can even my AR pistol (11.5" barrel)

Those are the two good selling points to me.

The AR is superior otherwise, IMO. Better factory mil-spec trigger, way better after market triggers. The front sight is further from your eye if shooting irons which should make them inherently a bit more accurate. Like @zackmars said, a well setup AR can be very, very accurate. If you're talking of storing parts in an arms room and swapping for each mission - why settle with just short or long barrels - you can set up an upper for short, close in work using an optic meant for close up engagements. You can have a DMR upper with good glass to reach out to 500+ yards. You can have another upper setup with a suppressor, IR laser and light for night ops without making your short rifle too heavy. Cost to the tax payer? Meh, its the government they don't really care unless someone's getting bonus money for coming in under budget.

The next-gen rifles the Army has solicited for will also be using larger caliber ammunition, IIRC its a 6.5mm or 6.8mm (I forget which off hand) to gain more long range lethality which might also offset the need for a dedicated DMR upper vs a carbine version. I guess we'll see when they finally pick a new gun.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    If you have QD barrels, you can run into issues with accuracy. It doesn't happen very often, but the systems typically used aren't as solid as a traditional setups.

like 4 MOA beretta ARX's and 10/22 takedowns. It's not particularly common, but it makes the added weight a harder sale.

Having 2 barrels will require 2 optics, and will require twice the amount of time to sight in. You also limit the mounts you can use. There are not that many truly good QD mounts out there. LaRue is good, as is scalarworks. Arms and ADM are... Not that impressive IMHO

You'd actually be loosing flexibility by having a bullpup instead of 2 complete uppers. And in environments with longer range shots, a properly set up AR will be more accurate, have a better trigger, and with the right choice in parts,will weigh quite a bit less.

What group size are you getting with your X95? The one i shot was not impressive in the accuracy department.
    Have you used the Cry Havoc? Any thoughts?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you have a particular bullpup in mind members may be able to help with your questions more.
    QFT.

My Norinco 86S is unpleasantly gassy. The concussion seems a bit worse than other AK-style guns but I'm not sure; I'm not a good judge of that sort of thing.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Had I seen and handled the Tavor I would have bought it, but it was not available when I bought my KelTec RFB. It is a .308 bullpup that has a very interesting ejection design. There is a tube that runs along the right side of the barrel and when the gun cycles it drops the empty brass into that tube. Gravity does the rest. For a hand loader like me, this is fabulous. I just put a 5gal. bucked in front of me and all the empty cases fall into it.....no chasing brass. This is the true definition of an ambidextrous firearm. The gun has a full length 16" compensated barrel that does a great job of keeping the gasses out of your face. The action soaks up the recoil very nicely. It is accurate and reliable, which doesn't surprise me since I have many of Mr. Kellgren's unique weapons. I also have his 12ga. bull pup shotgun the KSG. KelTec also has a 5.56/223 bull pup called the RDB. Here are mine:
    RFB 7.62/.308
    RFB_Stock-1.JPG

KSG 12ga.
    IMG_6488.JPG

Top Bottom