• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Now leaning towards a HHV bump due to the better padding inside (Ops-Core are pretty sparse) and the fact they are 1/3 cheaper than the other brands; but the 4-6 weeks for shipping and the fact these are still being made in China are keeping me from pulling the trigger on one.

They did set up operations in Sweetwater, but won't be producing these helmets in Texas until later this year...

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I finally got mine in yesterday. This thing is so comfy you can hardly feel the weight. Now I have to find some mounting options. I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't want to spend a ton for a western made helmet.

n2HIOUEl.jpg

dkjfmtQl.jpg

nxxMeKQl.jpg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I finally got mine in yesterday. This thing is so comfy you can hardly feel the weight. Now I have to find some mounting options. I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't want to spend a ton for a western made helmet.

n2HIOUEl.jpg

dkjfmtQl.jpg

nxxMeKQl.jpg
    Comfy is good! Staying put & not shifting around once you mount something is another thing. Hopefully it aint to hot.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    OK, after weeks of languishing over this, I just put my order in for a HHV ATE in multicam...

1622834962954.png

What finally sold me outside of being $100 cheaper than the Ops-Core and Team Wendy helmets was the extensive padding system (initial impact layer followed by comfort pads), the replaceable A3 aluminum NVG shroud (it's molded into the Ops-Core and Team Wendy helmets, so if anything happens to it the entire helmet is screwed); and while it doesn't have a locking system like the other helmets, the padding system received high marks for comfort and stability. I am also intrigued by the magnetic chin strap lock, which by all accounts works extremely well!

I also found our boat crews wear 'em and they are highly recommended. Plus, HHV has a 10 year warranty and a free return/exchange program.

I initially was going to get a tan one with a multicam cover, but the latter was an additional $60 whereas just getting the helmet in multicam was only another $10. I also read where their covers are designed for their ballistic helmets which are shaped differently, cause minor issues with fit.

Full open kimono, if the HHV didn't exist I probably would have ended up with a Team Wendy LTP. It has a locking system but the padding is nowhere near as extensive as the HHV. I actually like the ventilation system better but time will tell how well the HHV version works. It also has ARC rails available whereas HHV only offers the M-LOK.

I did like the Ops-Core I briefly had but in comparison it is really lacking in the padding department and I honestly believe it's popularity is mainly due to brand recognition. It was the first "real" bump helmet to replace the Pro-Tecs skateboard helmets used in the early 90s.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Just a quick review, my HHV ATE bump helmet with M-LOK accessory rails arrived last week while I was TDY; so I only got my hands on it on Sunday once I got back in town. Overall I am impressed not only with the quality but also how fast it arrived (within five days of ordering, despite a 4-6 week backlog). It fits well with the impact and comfort pads, but even though it is a L/XL I find it still sits high so I only put the side comfort pads in. The magnetic locking system works great so far, but the straps are different lengths because of it which is a bit irritating at first. I added a OneTigris Multicam Helmet Cover simply as it was 1/5th the price of the HHV one, it's not a perfect fit but it will do the job! I also included some multicam IR Texas flag patches (the right side one isn't reversed, but I don't get my knickers in a twist about such things), and a SUREWO aluminum NVG Mount for my GoPro (not shown) which required a little filing down on the tab and the addition of a small strip of foam in the back to lock in nice and snug.

20210615_225110 - Copy.jpg 20210615_225134 - Copy.jpg
    20210615_225049 - Copy.jpg

Once I actually get the chance to use it I will post a more detailed review, but considering the Ops-Core and Team Wendy offerings were another $100 more I think the HHV is the best bargain going in non-ballistic bump helmets at the moment!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Here are some pics of the GoPro mount, the last one shows the foam to stabilize it and where I had to file the tab down. It's solid.

20210616_071127 - Copy.jpg
    20210616_071146 - Copy.jpg
    20210616_071209 - Copy.jpg

I don't have any NVGs but the mount is also on there solid...

20210616_071235 - Copy.jpg
    20210616_071244 - Copy.jpg
    20210616_071348 - Copy.jpg
    20210616_071400 - Copy.jpg

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Really good deal on Ops Core fast ballistic helmets for anyone interested. I think this is the lowest I've ever seen new. 640.00

Baboon, what are your thoughts on rifle plates for the helmet? They're super cheap at 150.00 for an Ops Core rifle plate. .85lbs
    Seems like over kill unless you're out in the field deployed.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Really good deal on Ops Core fast ballistic helmets for anyone interested. I think this is the lowest I've ever seen new. 640.00

Baboon, what are your thoughts on rifle plates for the helmet? They're super cheap at 150.00 for an Ops Core rifle plate. .85lbs
    Seems like over kill unless you're out in the field deployed.

I'm an old fat gimpy dude. My ass has no real use for armoring a helmet at this stage of life. Hopefully if I catch a round in the head I'm dead. I'd rather carry more ammo realistically then weight on my head!

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I'm an old fat gimpy dude. My ass has no real use for armoring a helmet at this stage of life. Hopefully if I catch a round in the head I'm dead. I'd rather carry more ammo realistically then weight on my head!
    Weight kills.

But weight on your head will torture your neck before it kills you. If your doing AN entry then sure, you'll have it on for 10 minutes max.

You cannot protect against everything... and for every advantage more protection gives you, it also adds some level of vulnerability (loss of speed/maneuverability/flexibility, general fatigue/awareness).

If I'm armored up and happen to catch one in the noggin, it was just my time.... and I feel generally, I am less likely to catch one if I am armored, but not excessively so, where I can be mobile or simply not fighting fatigue too and stay aware.

YAOOMV...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I had looked into buying a ballistic helmet when I was buying my vest (SafeLifeDefense NIJ III+), but the prices seemed ridiculous to me. Still trying to justify $300 for rifle plates. For now I'll use my motorcycle half helmet if need arises.

But I do like reading this thread.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Weight kills.

But weight on your head will torture your neck before it kills you. If your doing AN entry then sure, you'll have it on for 10 minutes max.

You cannot protect against everything... and for every advantage more protection gives you, it also adds some level of vulnerability (loss of speed/maneuverability/flexibility, general fatigue/awareness).

If I'm armored up and happen to catch one in the noggin, it was just my time.... and I feel generally, I am less likely to catch one if I am armored, but not excessively so, where I can be mobile or simply not fighting fatigue too and stay aware.

YAOOMV...

Yeah, it's one of those things that, there's a time and a place for everything. The thought was more for a static situation. For every weight in the front, a counter in the back and it adds up.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I had looked into buying a ballistic helmet when I was buying my vest (SafeLifeDefense NIJ III+), but the prices seemed ridiculous to me. Still trying to justify $300 for rifle plates. For now I'll use my motorcycle half helmet if need arises.

But I do like reading this thread.
    Iffin youre going to wear a helmet a ballistic one is a really good choice as it offers a LOT more protection without much if any weight penalty vs a non ballistic helmet. $$ matters though and I go for good soft armor first, then figure out if you want a helmet or plates next.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The need for a ballistic helmet is limited to certain contingencies, the majority of which most civilians will never encounter.

The same holds true for body armor.

Preppers continue to amuse me with their claims such equipment is vitally necessary...

Top Bottom