Join TexasGunTalk

Bump stock hearing.

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by saltwater_therapy, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltwater_therapy

saltwater_therapy Member

Apr 17, 2018
    US
    TreyG-20 and Southpaw like this.
  2. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Wow...that actually gave me a little hope.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  3. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think GOA May have just earned another member regardless of the judges ruling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    I got tired of saying things like that several months ago and went ahead and put my money down. Best part has been I haven't had to unsubscribe from the countless emails, snail mail, and phone calls asking for more money.

5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I joined GOA last year and haven't heard a peep from them except for a piece of mail with a welcome letter and a paper membership card. It looks like they may have actually accomplished something today. Go GOA.

Southpaw and Big Dipper like this.
  6. Big Green

Big Green Well-Known

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Good on them.

And Wayne will claim this his own in 3, 2..,

TxStetson likes this.
  7. koddc

koddc New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    houston deep n/w
    BUMP STOCK FIASCO!!!
    time is running out. sounds like the end of march is the deadline. CANNOT tell if we have to register or destroy. this whole argument has been nothing but LIES. please post more news.

8. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If the laws new definition stands your bump stock will have to be either turned in or destroyed in order to comply.

Nobody will know until a ruling is made in the court case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    turn in or destroy before the 26th if you do not want to risk a felony charge or stand up to the man and proudly display it on your front porch

10. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The page referenced by the OP was published 7 Mar 2019.

As of 19 Mar 2019, the court had not ruled so the GOA filed an emergency petition and motion in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.

The timing here is what makes me nervous.

Per the final rule, as published in the Federal Register:
    Is that the beginning of the day or the end of the day? If I choose to surrender my bump stock to the BATFE, must I do so on the 25th or can I actually wait and do it sometime during the day on the 26th? The ruling isn't clear, though I'm sure there are lawyers who work with this stuff who could instantly answer the question.

I'm trying to figure out if any court will produce any ruling before the passing of the deadline makes the entire question moot. If everyone in the world agrees that the final rule is wrong and it's thrown out on the 28th, that doesn't help. No one will ever be able to bring their bump stock out in public because doing so would provide proof that they were in possession of an illegal machine gun for 24 hours.

As of now, the GOA is asking for a hearing. They haven't gotten it yet. They have to be heard and the court has to make a favorable ruling far more quickly than these things usually happen. They're in a good jurisdiction but their time is, I fear, far too short.

There are also two actions being pursued in DC courts, though the same judge will hear both. Those are awaiting rulings, too.

Bottom line: Those of us who own the things need to know by noon Monday. Ruling or not, if we're to have any chance of taking action that will result in our ability to possess bump stocks in the future or preserve our standing to sue the BATFE for destruction of our property we'll have to do whatever we decide is best on Monday afternoon at the latest.

It's looking like none of the people who have gone to court are going to get rulings in time to prevent me from visiting the ATF field office Monday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.