• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Saw on tonight’s evening news (CBS) where the anti-gun Brady group has filed a lawsuit on behalf of the Las Vegas victims against the supposedly largest ‘bumpstock’ manufacturer. I didn’t catch the name of the company but I did hear them say, in was a Texas company.

I hope that company has enough financial resources to fight it. Otherwise it looks like some jobs will be lost. And no, I don’t feel bad about saying that! It wasn’t the tool {device} that killed those people - it was the mental defective!
    Capitol Armory ad

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    The lawsuits from this event will clog the legal system for years. 20,000 people got shot at at an outdoor concert. Everybody who had skin in that game is getting sued along with the hotel, and probably even the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Courts should issue summary judgement dismissing lawsuit.

But that may not happen depending upon which court hears the case.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The money spent on this frivolous lawsuit would be better spent on the victims and family of victims. Reminds me of when they were trying to sue the ammunition companies. The company doesn't manufacture murderers.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If Slide Fire is a corporation (rather than a sole proprietor), they should probably just cut their losses and close the doors now. Leave nothing to sue.

Then Brady might go after the corporate officers/shareholders, but that suit should be dismissed in any competent court.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If Slide Fire is a corporation (rather than a sole proprietor), they should probably just cut their losses and close the doors now. Leave nothing to sue.

Then Brady might go after the corporate officers/shareholders, but that suit should be dismissed in any competent court.

Looks like Slide Fire Solutions LP was the only game in town after suing Bump Fire Systems LLC out of business. It seems Slide Fire may have also shut down a few other smaller companies idea of creating their own stock as well.

Now those Bump Fire Systems stocks were being sold for $99 after the lawsuit for a while, so can't say for certain if the stocks used in LV were theirs, Slide Fire or a mix, but the only money to go after would be Slide Fire if in fact they were used.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Saw a brief vid on FOX this afternoon showing a guy shoting an AR with what was reported to be an unnamed "slide fire" type stock and the rate of fire sure looked like full auto to me, or pretty darn close to it.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Yep.

I mentioned this somewhere, I would have closed shop last Monday morning.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Southpaw, you bring up a good point I hadn’t considered. Since the Brady group is suing on behalf of “the victims” - identification of the specific stock(s) used, which have to be made in order to show (“prove”) damages from that specific device. In other words, I don’t think a generic bump stock would suffice.
    I’m not sure I wouldn’t defend my company (or at least try to). The Brady group has lost their cases the last couple of times they’ve tried this type action. And with a little help from a ‘pro gun’ organization or two, you might just be able to beat them back again.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My understanding is,
    Slide fire has the patent on the original design and manufactures under such.
    One other company (Google is failing me at this moment) has paid royalties and also manufactures the same item under a different product name.

I'm crossing my fingers that the Brady bunch has barked up the wrong tree. If only for a few days.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    What are they going to do when the lawyers with slide fire show that didn't happen from thier device on an AR because the rate of fire doesn't match up??

That could get awkward.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I see; yep, I would think the patent holder would be on the hook, regardless.
    I haven’t ever followed the bump stock thing since they don’t really hold any interest for me. I’m such a cheapskate, IF I was going to play that game, I’d probably just use my belt loop!

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I see; yep, I would think the patent holder would be on the hook, regardless.
    I haven’t ever followed the bump stock thing since they don’t really hold any interest for me. I’m such a cheapskate, IF I was going to play that game, I’d probably just use my belt loop!
    A company that manufactures a legal product, and sells into the stream of commerce . . . whose product works exactly as designed (meaning it wasn't defective), should not be on the hook for someone who makes criminal misuse of the product. The product worked exactly as designed, it was legal when made, when sold, and when used. This does NOT fall into the category of a faulty product that is inherently dangerous in and of itself. There ought to be a summary judgment early on in this.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Yep, should be; which is one reason I’d personally fight it. However, even to have to defend against it, will cost $$$ - a very small company may not be able to afford it. Now if they can win (even a summary judgment) AND counter sue the Brady group to recoup their defense out-of-pocket losses, then maybe justice will have been served.

Top Bottom