Bushmaster v. Colt v. DPMS v. R-15

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Partychief67, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Partychief67

Partychief67 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Throw some opinions at me please...

I am about to buy my first ever AR type rifle.

So what do I go with? I am leaning towards Bushmaster just because a cop buddy of mine (who has shot and handled many AR variants) says they are the best of the type but I am a Colt fan from way back.

So between Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Remington R-15 and all the rest, which is the best?

I know that Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS are all owned by the same parent holding company so I am assuming that one between the three brands is the bargain basement version.

2. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Most of the guys I shoot NRA High Power with have either a Rock River NM A2 or something from White Oak or something they had built by a local AR guy. I have the RR NM A2 and it does a pretty good job out at 600 yards.

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Most of the mfgs are pretty much the same. You might want to go with the regular stock rather than the collapsible type since I think they're a little more comfortable when you're shooting the rifle.

Most common barrels are the 1 in 8" twist which will handle bullets up to 80 grains with no problem. The 1 in 7 will handle 90 grain bullets but does not do well with the lighter ones, e.g. 55 grain.

3. Partychief67

Partychief67 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Thanks Bullseye...

Sounds like I need the 1 in 7 barrel. I am not doing any competitive shooting. We have a pretty good population of feral pigs in my neck of the woods so that is sort of what I had in mind. 50 to 80 pound pig popping...

Also, I am a tightwad and buy lots of Bear steel cas .223 for a Mini 14 I have and my son's Rossi. Those Bear loads are 55 grain I think.

4. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

Oh boy, this could lead to a long thread... (there's been some history here on what AR to buy).

Just as Bullseye said.. What is your plans for the rifle?
    Something that play with at the range, do some varmit hunting etc? Pretty much any of them will work. But, if you are planning to invade another country and want to make sure you have a tank of an AR, then plan to spend some $$...

5. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

With the cheap ammo like that, it can cause some problems. I would make sure the barrel is stamped for a 5.56 vs just .223. I've heard a few people mentioned the 5.56 can handle the laquor coated casings better...

6. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I second the 1:7 twist rate. I have two Colts in 5.56, a Colt/RRA in 7.62x39, and an LMT/AR Performance in 6.8spc. I am a huge fan of Colt, but if you want one of the best AR's on the market for the money, check out Bravo Company Mfg. In head to head comparisons with the top-shelf brands like Colt, LMT, LWRC, Noveske, Knight's Armament, etc., BCM has all the features....chrome lined bores, 1:7 twist, M4 feed ramps, MPI/shot peened bolts, pressure tested bolts and barrels, properly staked gas keys, etc., etc.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am going to get flamed big time, but they are all pretty much the same when it comes to name brand. Find some that have the features you want, then compare price. I love my RRA, but I chose it because for the price it had the features I wanted.

8. 1rightguy

1rightguy Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I think Bushmaster is the best buy. You get the quality of the more expensive guns and you can pick one up at Acadamy for under $1000.00.

9. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I am not saying that Bushmaster is not a good gun, as it will certainly serve most of us recreational shooters very well, but here's a good comparison chart that shows how the different brands stack up against each other. If nothing else, at least you'll know what you have/are getting. You may need to create a Google account to view it...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

10. Partychief67

Partychief67 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Thank you guys for all the info...

And an extra nod to TXSUT for that spreadsheet... That is an excellent piece of information right there. I am gonna pass that along to my buddy that recommended the bushmaster.

I am pretty surprised at how Bushmaster fares in some of the features. Colt (my personal favorite of all of them) looks as good as I figured it would but I am surprised again by the fact that they are only offering up a one year warranty. And I really figured that Smith & Wesson ain't hanging right in there with Colt.

I don't even see the Remington R-15 on the chart. Is the R-15 just a green camo Bushmaster?