• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Roger, this is where the whole "mission drives the gear train" bit comes in handy. For someone like you, who shoots slow fire at 200-600 yards, you are not going to see a difference in the stock barrels. If you were to buy a higher end SS barreled Noveske, then I guarantee you would see a difference. Same goes for a Lilja, Shilen, or Larue barrel. But those are all custom.

For me, someone who doesnt give a rats *** about shooting groups, but cares about whether my gun will run in such and such conditions, things like barrel steel, HPT/MPI, 5.56 chamber (which is looser than the .223) are of huge importance.

For you, a RRA, OLY, Stag will be just fine.

As for Sean Cody - Colt, LMT, BCM, Daniel Defense, those are all right around the same price. Noveske is just a little bit more. Sure, they build some rifles that cost $4000, but those are different rifles for different purposes.

but don't have a cheap-ass bushy to compare it with

Geeze, not too opinionated, huh? I hate to be a voice of reason in a tornado of BS but I'll try.

I've owned 15 or more AR-15 rifles and have fired a lot more in actual competition at 200 and 600 yards. For a while, it was easy to compare one of each manufacturer. Of course, now everyone is making them and that would be impossible for an average guy like me to afford. Walmart and Target stores will surely jump on the AR-15 manufacturers list soon (Joke....snicker).

There's not a dimes worth of difference in production rifles except in trigger performance. Some triggers are better than others and for a production run rifle, that can be hit or miss. There are always slight variations in every production run part and sometimes they all fit together just right. Sometimes not.

If a rifle builder selectively hand fits each component by comparing their tolerance on the plus or minus side then assembles and tests the rifle thoroughly before sale, there may be some positive results to show for it. But that rifle is in a different class in quality and especially price. That rifle is a one of a kind hand fit specimen.

Those slight manufacturing variances will always be present regardless of the maker. If the parts are hand selected and fit together, a superior rifle can be produced. It doesn't mean that the custom fit parts are any better than than the production run parts, they are just hand selected to fit together.

Flash
    Military Camp

Top Bottom